ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

Sponsored By: Two Men and a Truck
cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
89°
Thunderstorms
H 90° L 75°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    89°
    Current Conditions
    Thunderstorms. H 90° L 75°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day Created with Sketch.
    78°
    Evening
    Thunderstorms. H 90° L 75°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    76°
    Morning
    Cloudy. H 83° L 74°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

FSU coach Jimbo Fisher still won’t name starting QB

Although all signs point toward redshirt freshman Jameis Winston emerging at quarterback for Florida State, coach Jimbo Fisher continues to insist a starter has not been named.

Winston, also a baseball player at FSU, and redshirt sophomore Jacob Coker are listed as co-starters in the team’s media guide.

Fisher was asked at the ACC Football Kickoff on Monday what he is looking for out of the quarterback position.

“I hope some great decisions, a lot of touchdowns, a lot of wins,” he said. “Whoever wins that job, I think you have two guys who are very talented, very capable that the team respects, have arm talent, have leg talent and have mental talent. They learned to study the game and understand it.

“Hopefully we’ll be surrounded on the offensive side of the ball by a lot of experience, which I think will make their job easier.”

Golden hopes to hear from NCAA soon: Miami coach Al Golden praised his team for playing through two years of distractions during the NCAA investigation into allegations that former booster Nevin Shapiro gave players improper benefits.

ACC commissioner John Swofford he said he would be “disappointed” if the NCAA did not announce its sanctions in the next two weeks, or before the start of practice.

Golden doesn’t want to deal with the news during practice.

“It would be tough because it’s been a very sensational story from the start with a lot of ebb and flows and a lot of off-shoot stories,” he said. “A story like that doesn’t go away in a 24-hour cycle. I would be very disappointed if in the middle of training camp we have to devote five, six, seven days to something that can be remedied before we go to training camp.”

Hurricanes gearing for Gators: Although Miami and Florida have not met on the football field since 2008, Hurricanes senior quarterback Stephen Morris knows the importance of the Sept. 7 game at Sun Life Stadium.

“It’s definitely one of those games you cannot go into the offseason and not talk about it,” Morris said. “Every time I’m out there working with my guys I’m telling them, ‘Take this rep as if you’re preparing for Florida. Let’s get ready for it, let’s get prepared for it mentally.’ ’’

The Gators’ 28-3 victory in 2008 in Gainesville snapped a six-game Miami winning streak in the series. That streak began in 1986. This year’s meeting will be the 55th since the teams first played in 1938. Miami holds a 28-26 advantage.

Swinney downplays favorite’s role: Clemson had been picked to win the ACC title twice in the last 22 years and not since 2008. So when the league’s media made the Tigers the overwhelming choice to win the 2013 crown, coach Dabo Swinney cringed.

After all, this is a coach who took a preseason magazine with a picture of his star player, quarterback Tajh Boyd, on its cover and ripped it up in front of the team at a recent meeting.

“We’ve been picked down the line, we’ve been picked second, it’s so irrelevant, it really is,” Swinney said. “All that stuff is based on what we did last year. It has nothing to do with the present day.”

The Tigers received 95 of the 120 votes by the ACC media to win the league championship. Florida State was a distant runner-up with 15 votes. Clemson received 102 votes to win the Atlantic Division, 84 more than the Seminoles.

But don’t expect Swinney to dwell on those numbers.

“We’ve beat that drum in trying to create the mentality that none of that stuff matters,” Swinney said. “Don’t buy the lie when they tell you how bad you are. … and don’t buy the lie that you’re the greatest thing ever, you’re just going to roll through everybody, you’ve got the player of the year and you’re going to win the Heisman.”

Boyd fires back at South Carolina’s Clowney: Boyd was the overwhelming pick as the ACC’s player of the year. But he certainly wouldn’t get the support of South Carolina’s defensive end extraordinaire, Jadeveon Clowney.

Clowney told reporters during the recent SEC Media Days that “I can tell Tajh Boyd is scared back there. He ain’t no sitting duck, but you can see in his eyes that he’s scared of our D-linemen.”

Boyd, a Heisman Trophy candidate, had a somewhat muted response this week.

“No, I’m not afraid of anybody, honestly,” he said. “It’s never been in my nature, never been in my character. I’m a competitor. I’m going to compete against whoever wants to compete. And it’ll all take care of itself in due time.”

The rivals play Nov. 30 at South Carolina.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • Updated at 10:42: The Supreme Court will allow part of the travel ban to take effect; some immigrants will be banned from entering the country.  Update at 10:29 a.m. ET: The  Supreme Court has ruled that it will hear arguments over President Donald Trump’s second executive order banning travel to the United States. Original story: The Supreme Court will rule on Monday whether to hear the challenge to President Donald Trump’s executive order banning immigration from several predominately Muslim nations. That executive order and the revised order that followed were both challenged in lower courts, which ruled in favor of the states that brought suit, setting up today’s decision by the U.S. Supreme Court. Here’s what can happen Monday and some background on the executive order. What is the ban? The original ban was issued on January 27, 2017, and it did the following: - Suspended the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program for 120 days - Cut the number of refugees to 50,000 in 2017 - Banned Syrian refugees from entry into the United States indefinitely - Barred immigrants from seven predominantly Muslim countries -- Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen -- from entering the United States for 90 days. >> Read more trending news How was it revised? The revised order, executive order 13780, removed Iraq from the list of nations included in the ban, allowed refugees already approved by the State Department to enter the U.S. and lifted the ban on Syrian refugees. It was to go into effect at midnight on March 16, 2017. What will happen on Monday? The court will do one of three things Monday. It will either uphold Trump’s ban, refuse to hear the case or say it will hear the case in the fall when the court reconvenes. What happens if the Supreme Court rules in Trump’s favor? If the court rules in favor of the administration, the ban can be implemented within 72 hours. What happens if the justices refuse to hear the case? If the justices refuse to review the case, the lower court rulings will stand, stopping the Trump administration from banning entry into the U.S. based on the country from which a person emigrates. Will the Supreme Court hear arguments? Justices could choose to hear arguments about the ban in the fall. In the meantime, the lower court orders would stand. What is the background? President Trump signed an executive order that would ban refugees and immigrants from seven mostly Muslim countries from entering the United States for 90 days and would suspend a refugee program for 120 days. It would also ban Syrian refugees from entering the country. That order sparked protests around the country and around the world. The states of Washington, Oregon, Minnesota, New York, Massachusetts and Hawaii filed suits over the ban. In three days, from January 28 to January 31, 50 cases were filed against the order. The courts granted a nationwide temporary restraining order that suspended much of the order. The 9th District Court of Appeals upheld the restraining orders. A revised order was issued in March. That order, like the first, ran into legal challenges. A judge in Hawaii suspended the revised order, ruling that if the ban went into effect, it would likely cause 'irreparable injury' by violating protections granted by the First Amendment against religious discrimination. The judge said tweets by Trump suggested that the order sought to ban people on the basis of their religion, and not in the interest of national security, as Trump had claimed.       
  • A 2-year-old child who was critically injured after being backed over by his mom’s vehicle around Midnight, has died.   According to JSO, Christopher Jackson Jr.’s mom was visiting a relative at the Mathews Crossing Apartments on Century 21 Drive near Atlantic Blvd.  The mother asked a relative to watch the boy so that she could go to the store.  He was able to leave the apartment without the relative’s knowledge, and was struck by his mother as she was backing out of a parking spot.   Family members drove the boy to Memorial Hospital where he later died.   Police say the mother did not exhibit any indications of impairment.  JSO is now calling the case an accidental death.  
  • UPDATE: Palm Bay police have reported that Victoria Stites, missing since Sunday, has been found safe. She was located in Jamaica, New York. No further details were immediately released. ORIGINAL STORY: Police are asking for the public’s help in finding a Florida teen who is missing and considered to be in danger. >> Watch the news report here Victoria Stites, of Palm Bay, is 19, but her mental capacity is lower than her age, Palm Bay police say. She is possibly traveling to Jamaica, New York, with a man she met on Facebook. >> Read more trending news She was last seen Saturday leaving her Palm Bay home, north of Vero Beach, wearing a green shirt and black jeans, and carrying a purple duffel bag.  She has blonde/brown hair and brown eyes. She is about 5-foot-7 and weighs 135 to 140 pounds.  Anyone with information on her whereabouts is asked to call 1-800-423-TIPS. 
  • After a reported bank robbery in Mandarin, the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is now tying the same suspect to at least three other crimes.   Between May 18, 2017, and June 16, 2017, JSO says there are four bank robberies in the Jacksonville-area that appear to be related:  06/16/2017 – BB&T Bank located at 11331 San Jose Boulevard  06/07/2017 – Bank of America located at 13170 Atlantic Boulevard  05/25/2017 – First Florida Credit Union located at 4530 St Johns Avenue  05/18/2017 – Atlantic Coast Federal Bank located at 8048 Normandy Boulevard   In each robbery, police say the suspect enters the bank wearing a hat and sunglasses and then approaches the teller, pulls out a black semi-automatic handgun, and demands money. Once the suspect receives the money, he flees the area on foot.   If you have any information about where this suspect is, or even who he is, you're urged to contact the Sheriff's Office at (904) 630-0500. 

The Latest News Videos