ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
71°
Few Clouds
H 89° L 65°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    71°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 89° L 65°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    82°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 89° L 65°
  • clear-night
    66°
    Morning
    Clear. H 87° L 68°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Will this be final season for Johnny Football at A&M?

Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel was back on the field with his teammates at spring practice on Tuesday.

But the whirlwind season he had last year brings up the question of just how long the quarterback will remain an Aggie.

The quarterback became the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy in 2012. He will be eligible for the NFL draft after the 2013 season since he redshirted his first season in College Station. He knows questions about the possibility of leaving school early are inevitable. But he’s not thinking about that right now.

“I will just try to answer it the same way I do every time,” he said. “It’s always been a dream of mine, but for now I’m very content and very happy where I am right now. So I love it here.”

He admitted that he will consider all the possibilities when it is time.

“Whenever that decision comes, I will have to sit down and evaluate it just like you do with anything else in your life,” he said. “With the NFL, if you have an opportunity to go, then you look at it. But I love this place, I love coach (Kevin) Sumlin and all my teammates here … I’m not in any rush to make a decision like that.”

Manziel is however taking steps to guard his future, and said after Tuesday’s practice that he is in the process of getting an insurance policy to protect him in case of injury.

“It’s just a precaution,” he said. “I think there’s a lot of players out there that have done it in the past. You never know what could happen. Football is a dangerous sport, so you kind of have to make sure that you take the precaution.”

Last year at this time, Manziel was competing to be a starter. He knows things are much different now after the success he had in his first season. But the increased expectations won’t change his approach.

“I feel like we’re doing all right. We’re still just out here playing football, doing the same things that we did last year,” he said. “We didn’t have a lot of expectations last year, and there’s a lot more talk this year. So for us, we just have to make sure that we continue to do the things that got us where we are today.”

Sumlin watched the development of Manziel throughout last season, and expects that progress to continue in his second year. He isn’t concerned that his work ethic will change because of what happened last year.

The team practiced for about two hours on Tuesday wearing shorts. The Aggies will don pads for Thursday’s practice.

The Aggies will use this spring to test out a revamped offensive line. There will be several changes to the group tasked with protecting Manziel, but the biggest one will be Jake Matthews taking over at left tackle for Outland Trophy winner Luke Joeckel, who left early for the draft.

“In the first few days, first weeks we’re still figuring out the pieces and what you have with guys,” Manziel said. “There’s a lot of new guys coming in and you’re trying to plug guys in the offensive line. The first few weeks we’ll evaluate and make sure we get everybody plugged into the right places, and from there it’s just making sure that we continue to get better every week.”

Texas A&M also has a new offensive coordinator in Clarence McKinney, who took over after Kliff Kingsbury became the coach at Texas Tech.

Manziel said that transition has been easy because McKinney has worked in Sumlin’s system for years, and they already had a good relationship.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • Officers opened fire on a woman on U.S. Capitol grounds Wednesday morning after she nearly ran over multiple U.S. Capitol Police officers while fleeing from a traffic stop, authorities said. >> Read more trending stories No injuries were reported. Officers spotted a woman driving erratically around 9 a.m. on Independence Avenue and attempted to stop her car, Capitol police spokeswoman Eva Malecki said. The unidentified woman made a U-turn and fled. She stopped the sedan near the intersection of Washington and Independence avenues, where authorities apparently fired shots at the woman. Malecki declined to say where the bullets landed or how many shots were fired. The incident did not appear to be related to terrorism. “This appears to be criminal in nature with no nexus to terrorism,” Malecki said.
  • A North Carolina county could be in major violation of HIPAA laws after mistakenly releasing hundreds of patients’ private medical records to a Charlotte TV station that was investigating a medical story. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPAA, was enacted in 1996 to ensure patient privacy rights. >> Read more trending news Mecklenburg County manager Dena Diorio revealed Tuesday afternoon that the county mistakenly released the private medical records of some 1,200 patients to the media. The county attorney confirmed patient health information was compromised.  'I'm absolutely speechless with anger at how something like this could happen,' Diorio said. Channel 9 had requested public records related to the county's failure to notify nearly 200 women about abnormal Pap smear results.  While WSOC-TV received that information Monday, the county also mistakenly included detailed medical history about hundreds of patients. The information included an Excel spreadsheets documenting the patients’ full names, addresses and dates of visits.  For some patients it also included a detailed description of why they visited and what services they received. Diorio said the information should not have been in spreadsheets in the email and the practice of putting medical information in Excel sheets will end immediately. Diorio said she believes the release is a category 2 HIPAA violation with a minimum fine of $1,000 per violation up to $50,000. A county worker collected the records Tuesday morning from WSOC.  “We do everything we can to protect the personal information for all of our patients,” Mecklenburg County Manager Dena Diorio said. “In this particular instance, the checks and balances were not completely followed and we had a lapse.' Diorio said an IT staffer mistakenly included the information in the public records request. She also said no one checked the file before it was released. >> Got a question about the news? See our explainers here “This was a person who works in our IT security area so it’s not as if everybody has access to this information,” she said. It’s unclear if the hundreds of patients will be notified about the information leak. Diorio is planning to discuss the next steps with the county attorney on Tuesday.   >> Click here to read the full story.
  • A woman has a warning for people who use the changing rooms at a Robinson Township, Pennsylvania, mall. Heather Lapinski said that while she was trying on bathing suits at Macy’s in the Mall at Robinson, she noticed a cellphone under the door. She grabbed it, but a man’s hand grabbed it back.  >> Read more trending news By the time she was able to exit the dressing room, the man was gone. “I got ahold of it and a man's hand came down and grabbed it. I couldn’t scream. I was in so much shock,” Lapinski said. “I was crying. I didn't have my top on (and) I’m not running out completely naked.” By the time she was able to exit the dressing room, the man was gone. Lapinski described the man as having a medium build and balding in the front of his head. She said she hopes that someone recognizes the man before he does it again. “I want someone to say, ‘I know him.’ He can't keep going back and keep doing this to women. I’m going to be traumatized for the rest of my life,” she said. “When I go to bed, I toss and turn thinking about his face.” Both Macy’s and the Mall at Robinson said in statements about the matter that the safety of customers is a top priority. They could not confirm whether other incidents were previously reported.
  • Two Florida animal rescue facilities have taken in 47 dachshunds and are looking for a forever home for each of them. WJHG reported  that the Alaqua Animal Refuge in Freeport, Florida, and the Save Underdogs Rescue in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, took in the dogs. >> Read more trending news “They were going to be taken to a local shelter that wasn't a no-kill shelter so ... the reason it was so urgent for us to get them within this 24-48 hour time period was because they were going to be euthanized,” Alaqua Animal Refuge communications director Mary Chris Murry told WJHG. On Sunday, Save Underdogs shared on Facebook that the 47 dogs were on their way to Florida from Arkansas.  Save Underdogs founder Terri Bondi told Northwest Florida Daily News she learned of the situation from a friend in Arkansas. The dogs’ former owner, a truck driver, didn’t realize that they could breed when they were 6 months old, Bondi said. He sought help when he found himself with nearly 50 dogs and without a way to care for them. WEAR reported the dogs came from a hoarding situation, although Bondi said that was not the case. “I thought it was originally 30 dogs and thought I could manage it,” said Laurie Hood, founder of the Alaqua Animal Refuge. “But when it was 50 ... It was perfect timing that Alaqua had space.” The total turned out to be 47.  Alaqua took in 26 dachshunds, Bondi said, leaving Save Underdogs with 21.  The dogs range in age from several months old to 5 years old. Those interested in adopting may visit the Save Underdogs website and the Alaqua Animal Refuge website for more information and to contact the organizations to find a forever friend. Updated at 9:25 a.m. March 29 with additional information from Bondi.
  • Detroit police on Sunday found the body of a baby girl in a dumpster after the newborn’s mother went to the emergency room bleeding and complaining of stomach pain.  WDIV reported that medical staff at the hospital transferred the 39-year-old woman to the intensive care unit, where they discovered that she’d recently given birth. She did not have a newborn with her, and neither did her husband, who drove her to the hospital.  >> Read more trending stories Officers who went to the couple’s home on Detroit’s east side found the baby’s body in a trash bin behind the house, the news station reported.  The woman’s husband told police he did not know she’d given birth.  MLive.com reported Tuesday morning that the woman remained on a breathing tube in the hospital’s ICU, so investigators had not yet been able to interview her. An autopsy was done Monday on the infant’s body, but the cause of death has not been made public.  The case remains under investigation. 

The Latest News Videos