ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
74°
Sunny
H 78° L 64°
  • cloudy-day
    74°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 78° L 64°
  • clear-day
    64°
    Morning
    Sunny. H 78° L 64°
  • clear-day
    78°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 83° L 63°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

5 pages of recipes 

60 healthier drinks for boozing

Used with permission from The Greatist

Alcoholic drinks can be a sneaky source of calories, sugar, and even salt — but not when you play bartender. Try to get a few healthier alternatives under that (suddenly much looser) belt to impress friends and family and order with confidence when out at the bar.

(Check It88 Unexpected Snacks Under 100 Calories)

Here are four of the eight key guidelines that make our drinks healthier options:

  1. Use only fresh-squeezed or 100 percent fruit juice to reduce added sugars. Fruit juice can still be a dangerfood, though, so sometimes it’s best to dilute it with water or ice to cut back on calories.
  2. Choose seltzer water over other carbonated waters to eliminate added sodium and other additives. For recipes that call for soda, skimp on portions, or opt for diet or natural (read: less added sugar) versions — though those can have their pitfalls, too.
  3. Make simple syrup with honey which, though sugary, has some added benefits, like a healthy dose of antioxidants. It also gives you better control of the sugar content. Any recipe that calls for simple syrup will use the following recipe: ½ tablespoon honey mixed with ¾ tablespoon warm water.
  4. Use whole fruit instead of sugar or flavored syrups. The fruit itself adds fiber, natural sugars, and vitamins.

*We’ve tried to simplify the recipes to make them easier to understand. So we simplified all the liquid measurements to shots or cups — none of this “ounces” nonsense!  

Click through the next 5 pages for healthier drink recipes. Visit The Greatist for all eight tips and all 60 healthier drink recipes. 

Next: Cocktails >>

1   2   3   4   5   NEXT

The Latest News Headlines

  • An Arizona man who accidentally ran over his toddler son last week faces a charge of negligent homicide in the boy’s death, and prison records show that it isn’t the first time he’s been charged with killing or injuring someone in a drunken driving collision. Richard Louis Hamilton, 49, of Phoenix, was moving his truck Thursday evening in the yard of his family’s home when he felt a bump under the tire, according to the Arizona Republic. He stopped the truck and discovered that he had struck his son, Samuel.  Samuel was rushed to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead a couple of hours later, the Republic reported.  Hamilton was granted $50,000 bail on the felony charge at an initial court appearance on Friday, but is being held in the Maricopa County Jail on a probation violation. The violation stems from a conviction in a January 2007 hit-and-run crash in which a 5-year-old girl was seriously injured.  He was released from prison in November 2013 after serving more than six years in that case, according to Arizona Department of Corrections records. Hamilton’s wife, identified on a GoFundMe page set up for the family as Chelsea Hamilton, pleaded for his release Friday as he stood before a judge and appeared to weep.  “I wish that he would be released so we could mourn the death of our son together,” Chelsea Hamilton said. “This was a total accident.” The family’s fundraising page, which sought help with paying for Samuel’s funeral, described the toddler as a “beautiful, vibrant, happy” child.  “In his short little life, he impacted the lives of all that knew him and loved him,” the page read.  Richard Hamilton told officers who responded to the family’s home Thursday evening that he did not realize his son, who was playing in the yard before the accident, had gotten so close to the vehicle he was moving.  A neighbor told police he had seen Hamilton and his son playing together in the yard before the collision. A probable cause statement obtained by KTVK in Phoenix stated that the neighbor also saw Hamilton behind the wheel of the truck when Samuel was struck. Hamilton admitted to investigators that he had been driving the truck, but denied that he had been drinking prior to the incident. He claimed he had not had a drink since the night before, when he drank a half pint of vodka, the court document said. >> Read more trending news He refused both a field sobriety test and a blood test, but officers obtained his blood after securing a search warrant.  “The defendant had bloodshot, watery eyes and a moderate odor of alcohol coming from him,” the probable cause statement said.  Investigators also found a broken beer bottle a few feet away from the back of the truck, in the path that the truck would have taken when Hamilton moved it.  “There was a liquid on the driver side rear tire that is believed to be some of the contents of the beer bottle,” the statement said. “Glass fragments from the beer bottle were located in the grass near the bottle, and there were also fragments located in a trash can approximately 30 feet from the area of the collision. “It appeared someone tried to clean up the broken beer bottle fragments afterward.” See Hamilton’s first court appearance below. Hamilton was processed for driving under the influence and booked into the Maricopa County Jail, where he remained Monday for the alleged probation violation in the 2006 case.  According to a Republic story written at the time of his sentencing in the previous case, Hamilton’s 5-year-old victim was crossing a street with her mother and two siblings when Hamilton struck her with his minivan. He fled the scene, but turned himself in to police later that day.  Hamilton also served a four-month prison sentence in 2001 following his first conviction for aggravated DUI, prison records show. Details of that incident were not immediately available. 
  • Body camera footage from two Cincinnati police officers’ search for a 16-year-old teen who was crushed to death by a seat in his minivan earlier this month shows the officers never left their patrol car while they looked for the teen. The footage shows the officers driving past the parking lot where Kyle Plush was dying on their way to search a separate lot on the campus of Seven Hills School, where the teen was a sophomore.  They do not appear to search all of the parking lots on the campus, and the videos indicate that the officers may have searched the area for less than a third of the time that officials previously said they did.  Cincinnati police officials, along with Hamilton County prosecutors and the county Sheriff’s Office, are conducting internal investigations to determine what led to Plush’s death, both inside the van and out. That includes a probe of law enforcement officers’ actions and what took place at the city’s 911 center.  “The event leading up to Kyle’s death are devastating and also raise concerning questions about our city’s emergency 911 system and police response,” Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley said April 12. “While it is unclear if there is wrongdoing by the city in this tragedy, we have a profound responsibility to find out.” >> Related story: ‘Tell my mom that I love her if I die,’ teen pleads as van seat fatally crushes him Plush called 911 twice on the afternoon of April 10, screaming and pleading for help as he slowly suffocated inside his gold Honda Odyssey in a parking lot at his school. The teen, a sophomore at Seven Hills School in Cincinnati, was apparently reaching for his tennis gear in the rear hatch of the van when the third-row bench seat tipped backward and pinned him, upside down, in the hatch area with the seat digging into his chest. Plush, who died of positional asphyxia, used his iPhone’s voice commands to call 911. The teen could be heard struggling to breathe as he told a dispatcher that he was trapped in his van.   “I can’t hear you,” Plush told the dispatcher in his first call, according to The Washington Post. “I’m in desperate need of help. I’m gonna die here.” Two city police officers were dispatched at 3:21 p.m. to the school to search for the caller in distress, Cincinnati police officials said. They arrived about five minutes later.  Body camera footage obtained by WCPO in Cincinnati shows the responding officers, Brian Brazile and Edsel Osborn, driving on the school campus but staying in their patrol car. The videos also show that the officers searched for Plush for about three minutes before turning off their cameras, an indication that they had completed the call.  Information previously released by the Cincinnati Police Department indicated that the officers were on the scene for 11 minutes but could not find the van Plush was calling from.  The footage, which was released by police officials Friday following a public records request, shows Brazile drive past the Seven Hills School Resale Shop, a thrift store run by the school to help fund various projects on campus, before turning into a parking lot south of the store.   Plush’s van -- which was found by his father six hours later -- was in a student parking lot located north of the shop. The officers drive by that parking lot, but do not turn in. The body camera footage shows the officers driving slowly through the south parking lot, searching for the 911 caller. “Shoot, these kids drive better cars than you do,” Brazile appears to tell Osborn.  “Uh-huh,” Osborn mutters.  Brazile makes a U-turn in the lot and they search it again before ducking through afterschool traffic and into another lot across the street, near the school’s tennis courts and baseball field. The second lot they turn into is further south -- and further away from where Plush was still alive, but struggling for breath.  “I don’t see nobody, which I didn’t imagine I would,” one of the officers can be heard saying as they search.  “I’m going to shut this off,” Osborn says just before his body camera recording ends.  Cincinnati police spokeswoman Tiffany Hardy told WCPO that the footage was the entire recording of the officers’ response to Seven Hills. Departmental policy dictates that officers activate their body cameras when arriving on the scene of a call. They can deactivate the cameras only after clearing the call, according to the policy.  Previous information made public by Cincinnati Police Chief Eliot Issac indicated that it was another eight minutes before the officers marked their assignment as cleared.  Dashboard camera footage from the officers’ patrol car was not released with the body camera footage, WCPO reported. Hardy told the news station that Hamilton County prosecutor Joe Deters’ office has that footage.  Deters announced shortly after Plush’s death that his office had launched a comprehensive investigation into the tragedy. Hamilton County Sheriff Jim Neil also ordered an investigation into his department’s handling of the calls.  A deputy working a traffic detail at the school also searched for Plush that afternoon but did not find him. Dispatcher Amber Smith -- who was placed on administrative leave for about a week after Plush’s death -- and the deputy could be heard in dispatch audio debating whether the calls had been a prank.  Even after Plush’s father found him dead, city police officers thought the calls from the school were a prank, WCPO reported. When a call went out for officers to respond to the school, either Brazile or Osborn responded on the radio, not knowing that the teen was dead. “I think somebody’s playing pranks,” the officer said, according to radio traffic. “It was something about they were locked in a vehicle across from the school. We never found anything. But we’ll respond and see what else we can find.” The multiple investigations into the incident seek to determine what kept responding officers from locating Plush in time to save him. In his second 911 call, the teen told Smith exactly where he was located at the school and gave Smith a description of his van. “I probably don’t have much time left, so tell my mom that I love her if I die,” the teen said, according to the audio. “This is not a joke. This is not a joke. I’m trapped inside my gold Honda Odyssey van in the sophomore parking lot of Seven Hills (unintelligible).  “Send officers immediately. I’m almost dead.” Smith was placed on administrative leave two days after Plush’s death because she did not relay to the officers the make, model and color of the van. WCPO reported that internal documents from the probe showed that Smith’s supervisors found her work “unacceptable” in the incident.  Smith told investigators that, although the recording of Plush’s second 911 call picked up what he said, she could not hear him when he gave the description of his van and his location. Issac previously said that Smith did press a tone indicating she was having trouble on the line.  Smith also told investigators that her computer screen froze, keeping her from properly documenting the call, the news station said. One of the documents indicated that 911 operators’ computers were experiencing problems around the time of Plush’s call.  >> Read more trending news An emergency dispatch consultant told WCPO that problems with the computers was not a surprise.  “Having a computer system within the 911 center freezing up or locking out is not uncommon,” consultant Dave Warner said.  Cranley said in his statement that problems have plagued the 911 center for a long time.  “Separate from his incident, the problems of management, supervision and technology have been reported at the 911 center for years,” the mayor said.  He said that he has repeatedly requested solutions and lobbied the Federal Communications Commission on the technology issues but was told the problems were being resolved.  “This tragedy may ultimately suggest the problems have not been resolved or that not enough changes have been made,” Cranley said.  Cranley said officials must also determine if “preventable flaws or failures” have worsened emergency situations.  The internal records show that Smith tried calling Plush twice and sent him a text message seeking the address of his emergency, WCPO reported. He never responded, but his use of voice commands showed that he likely could not reach his phone.  The dispatcher who took Plush’s first call also used the GPS coordinates of his phone to send Brazile and Osborn to the parking lot near the thrift store, the news station said. Reporters who plugged the coordinates into a Google map found that they were just feet from the spot where Plush’s father found him that night.  The officers still did not find him.  Neither Brazile nor Osborn have been placed on leave during the investigation.    Smith returned to work last week. Any disciplinary action taken against her has not been made public, WCPO reported.
  • Authorities on Monday afternoon arrested a man suspected of stripping at a Waffle House in Antioch, Tennessee, early Sunday before opening fire on customers and employees, killing four people. Nashville police confirmed that authorities arrested suspected shooter Travis Reinking, 29, on Monday afternoon. He was earlier identified as the man suspected of killing Taurean C. Sanderlin, 29; Joe R. Perez, 20; Akilah Dasilva and DeEbony Groves, 21.  >> Read more trending news 
  • A new British prince was born on Monday and that means a new line of succession to the British throne. Move over, Prince Harry, your new nephew will bump you one step down the line, and shake up everyone who follows you. The British line of succession was established in the 17th century after James II left the country and the throne in 1688. By 1701, the Act of Settlement established that the country’s Parliament could determine who would rule the country. The act said that only Protestants could rule – no Roman Catholics could be considered and those in line for the throne could not marry a Catholic. In 2013, the Succession to the Crown Act ended the provision against marrying a Catholic. However, a Roman Catholic may not rule the country. The law also stated that male heirs, no matter where they fell in the birth order, would displace female heirs in the line of succession. In other words, a younger brother would jump over an older sister in the succession line. The Succession to the Crown Act amended that portion of the Act of Settlement by ending the practice of moving sons to the front of the line – called male primogeniture. The act applies to those born after Oct. 28, 2011. Princess Charlotte, the daughter of Prince William, is the first female in the line of succession who will not be skipped over by a younger sibling. Here is the line of succession as stands after the birth of the new prince: The line of Succession Queen Elizabeth 1. The Prince of Wales – Prince Charles (Elizabeth’s first child)2. The Duke of Cambridge – Prince William (Prince Charles’ son)3. Prince George of Cambridge – William’s son4. Princess Charlotte of Cambridge - William’s daughter5. The new royal baby – brother to George and Charlotte6. Prince Henry of Wales – Prince Harry (William’s brother; Charles second child)8. The Duke of York – Prince Andrew (Elizabeth’s third child)7. Princess Beatrice of York – Andrew’s daughter8. Princess Eugenie of York – Andrew’s daughter9. The Earl of Wessex – Prince Edward (brother of Prince Charles; Elizabeth’s fourth child)10. James, Viscount Severn – (Prince Edward’s son)11. The Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor – (Prince Edward’s daughter)12. The Princess Royal – Princess Anne (daughter of Queen Elizabeth; her second child)13. Peter Phillips – son of Princess Anne14. Savannah Phillips – daughter of Peter Phillips15. Isla Phillips – daughter of Peter Phillips16. Zara Tindall – daughter of Princess Anne  
  • Nearly two years after a 25-year-old was found dead on a Baldwin roadway, the man believed to be responsible has been arrested. The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office has arrested 59-year-old Dennis Mixon for arson and murder. The arrest report does not give any additional information at this time regarding the motive for the murder, and how arson was involved in the death.  25-year-old Nikki Redden’s body was found on Tradeplex Circle on May 1, 2016. We were told at the time that there was foul play suspected in her death.  Court records show Mixon was arrested a month after Redden’s body was found, for grand theft auto and falsely identifying himself to law enforcement. He was also charged with failing to comply with career offender requirements. He has been serving a multi-year sentence, after pleading guilty to those crimes in early 2017.

The Latest News Videos