ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

heavy-rain-night
58°
Partly Cloudy
H 64° L 63°
  • heavy-rain-night
    58°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 64° L 63°
  • cloudy-day
    64°
    Morning
    Partly Cloudy. H 64° L 63°
  • rain-day
    77°
    Afternoon
    Few Showers. H 79° L 68°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Rome opera hires Gatti, who lost job over #metoo allegations

Rome's opera house on Friday defended hiring conductor Daniele Gatti, who was fired by an Amsterdam-based orchestra last summer over sexual misconduct allegations.

Teatro dell'Opera di Roma spokesman Renato Bossa said that the theater signed Gatti this week to a contract running through December 2021 as musical director because, in a country with "rule of law, one is innocent until a trial proves otherwise." Still, Bossa termed the allegations "certainly very grave."

Gatti has denied the allegations that triggered his firing by the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra.

He conducted the Rome opera house's season premiere, Giuseppe Verdi's "Rigoletto," earlier this week, the third straight year he has led the theater's season opener.

The Rome opera theater quoted Gatti as saying about his new role: "I am particularly happy to be able to intensify my work here and link myself to a theater that has recently distinguished itself for the outstanding quality of its projects and the work of all the people involved in realizing them."

But the theater announced the 57-year-old maestro had to skip Thursday's performance due to a heart arrhythmia. Playing a role in the health setback could also have been "the strong emotions" Gatti felt when the theater announced the signing to the audience on Tuesday, Bossa said.

He added that Gatti was feeling better and would conduct the orchestra, in the same Giuseppe Verdi work, on Sunday.

But separately, Gatti's personal spokesman, Paolo Cairoli, said that the conductor "due to health problems" was canceling several 2019 engagements in Germany as a precaution.

Engagements being scrapped include those with the Gewandhaus Orchestra in Leipzig on Feb. 21 and 22, and staged performances of Verdi's "Otello" with the Berlin Philharmonic at Baden-Baden in April followed by concert versions at Berlin's Philharmonie, along with a concert leading the German National Youth Orchestra.

"Maestro Gatti expresses all his regret and looks forward to future collaborations with all musical institutions involved," Cairoli said in a statement.

The Berlin Philharmonic announced that Zubin Mehta will replace Gatti for the "Otello" performances.

For several years, the Rome institution has been intent on improving its profile in a country where Milan's La Scala reigns supreme in the opera world. The theater suffered a hard blow a few years ago when conductor Riccardo Muti, weary of union disputes, abruptly ended his collaboration with Teatro dell'Opera di Roma.

The theater's top executive, Carlo Fuortes said that hiring Gatti "will complete our plan to revive the Teatro dell'Opera di Roma."

Fuortes lauded Gatti's "extraordinary artistic career" as well as the "reciprocal establishment of trust he has nurtured with the orchestra and the chorus."

Earlier this year, the Concertgebouw said ended its affiliation with Gatti as chief conductor in the wake of a Washington Post story in which the conductor was "accused of inappropriate behavior." It also cited reports from women who came forward after the article's publication. The orchestra said the developments "irreparably damaged the relationship of trust between the orchestra and the chief conductor."

Gatti's lawyer denounced the allegations as a "smear campaign" and said the maestro had asked his lawyers to "protect his reputation." Gatti had become the Dutch orchestra's chief conductor at the start of the 2016-2017 season.

The Milan-born Gatti has in the past been principal conductor of Rome's Orchestra Dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia and chief conductor of London's Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

Gatti was the third important conductor in the past year to lose his job over allegations of inappropriate behavior.

Charles Dutoit resigned as artistic director and principal conductor of the Royal Philharmonic after The Associated Press late last year reported sexual assault allegations against him. James Levine, music director emeritus of New York's Metropolitan Opera, was fired after the company said an investigation had found evidence of sexual abuse and harassment. Both men denied any improper behavior.

___

Associated Press Writer Ronald Blum in New York contributed to this report.

____

Frances D'Emilio is on twitter at www.twitter.com/fdemilio

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • The Jacksonville Jaguars have officially launched season ticket renewals ahead of the team's historic 25th season-- though it may come at a higher cost for some fans. The team says season ticket prices in 2019 will increase by an average of 2.4%.  However, the team says more than half of all season ticket members will experience no change or a decrease in their renewal price. Loyalty pricing also remains in effect, which the team says ensures renewing season ticket members always pay less than new buyers in the same seating category.  Ahead of their 25th season, the team is teasing all sorts of celebrations to mark their silver anniversary.  'This season represents a historic moment for not just our team, but the entire First Coast community. We'll celebrate the legends of the past, the players of the future, and the fans that have stood by our side through it all. The 2019 season will set the stage for the next 25 years of Jaguars football in Jacksonville,' says Jaguars President Mark Lamping in a statement.  STORY: JACKSONVILLE-THEMED MURALS GOING UP IN TIAA BANK FIELD The team plans to kick off their silver celebration in mid-March, with the unveiling of the team's 25th season commemorative logo, which they say is designed to embody the spirit of DUUUVAL.  The team says throughout the 25th season, legends will be honored at each home game as part of the All-25 Team. That team will be comprised of the 25 best alumni players in franchise history. The Jags further say that the game day experience for fans will feature other throwback elements.  With the season ticket roll-out underway, we're told existing season ticket members will receive a renewal notice via email to renew by March 29th. After that deadline, season tickets will be available to all fans to purchase. As for single-game tickets, those will become available after the release of the 2019 NFL schedule.
  • Two juveniles have been arrested, after the St. Augustine Police Department says they tried to rob another juvenile at gunpoint at a local park. According to the incident report, the juvenile victim told police he was at Project Swing Park at 1 South Castillo Drive this past Sunday night, when he was approached by four individuals. He told police some of these individuals began to dig through his pockets and saying things like 'what you got?' and 'give it up!'.  The victim told police when he refused to give up his belongings, one of his friends attempted to defend him, leading a fight to break out.  During that fight, someone yelled there was a gun and everyone took off running, according to the victim. The report reveals there was at least one witness who spotted one of the individuals pulling a firearm from his waistband and pointing it at someone else.  Police say they caught up to the four individuals in the area of Sevilla Street and Saragossa Street a short time later, where they were taken into custody.  The report reveals that as the investigation continued, two of the four individuals were found to have nothing to do with the robbery that occurred.  However, one of the other individuals was identified as the suspect responsible for digging through the victim's pockets. The report reveals he told police he was ‘just playing.’ As for the other individual, the report says he eventually admitted to police he was armed at that time and helped officers recover the gun. The two juveniles are now charged with attempted robbery with a firearm.  A third juvenile involved in this incident is also expected to face charges, as police say the individual had an open warrant for an unrelated case.
  • Unless there is a major earthquake, you may not pay much attention to the United States Geological Survey. >> Read more trending news  But when the earth shakes, it’s the USGS that provides important initial information on where the damage occurred and how big the quake was.  However, while that is a very important function of the agency, it's only part of the mission of the USGS, or the Survey, as it is commonly called. The agency, a part of the U.S. Department of the Interior, also provides “reliable scientific information to describe and understand the Earth; minimize loss of life and property from natural disasters; manage water, biological, energy, and mineral resources; and enhance and protect our quality of life,” according to the agency’s website. To study and catalog the country’s resources, the USGS employs a broad array of sciences, including biology, geography, geology and hydrology.  Created on March 3, 1879, the USGS’s original mission was 'classification of the public lands, and examination of the geological structure, mineral resources, and products of the national domain.” The Survey was immediately tasked with the exploration and inventory of new lands the U.S. government had acquired through the Louisiana Purchase in 1803 and the Mexican–American War in 1848.  The agency also produces various publications in which its research is reported and runs the United States Geological Survey Library. The USGS employs more than 8,600 people across the United States. Related stories: 15 things you may not know about earthquakes What is the strongest earthquake to hit the US? What should you do if you are caught in an earthquake? What are the 10 deadliest earthquakes in recorded history? How likely will the ‘big one’ occur in our lifetime?  New earthquake simulations show how the 'big one' could shake the Pacific Northwest Building an emergency disaster kit can be easy and cheap, here's how
  • Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has returned to her bench eight weeks after undergoing lung cancer surgery. >> Read more trending news  NPR reported that the 85-year-old underwent a pulmonary lobectomy Dec. 21 at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York. The surgery removed two malignant growths on her left lung, according to court officials. No further evidence of cancer was found on her lungs. Related: Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg released from hospital after cancer surgery The Associated Press reported Ginsberg returned to the Supreme Court building Friday for the justices’ private conference. She came back to the bench for the first time Tuesday, wearing her black robe and ornamental collar. CNBC reported that Ginsberg participated in the court’s cases while she was away, unprecedented for a justice. NPR reported she was also walking more than a mile a day and working with her trainer twice a week, according to friends.
  • A day after posting a photograph online of a federal judge which included a crosshairs near her head, U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson ordered Roger Stone to appear at a Thursday hearing to explain what he was doing, and whether it should impact restrictions imposed on Stone about charges brought against him in the investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 elections, and any ties to the Trump campaign. In an order issued Tuesday morning, U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson summoned Stone to explain “why the media contact order entered in this case and/or his conditions of release should not be modified or revoked in light of the posts on his Instagram account.” Stone posted the photo on Monday – and stood by it for much of the day – repeating his objections to having his case assigned to Judge Jackson, who is also presiding over a case brought by the Special Counsel’s office against 12 Russian intelligence agents, charged with hacking materials from Democrats during the 2016 campaign. “Any inference that this in someway threatens the judge is false,” Stone wrote on Monday about the photo – which he then pulled down. Roger Stone now directly attacking the federal judge presiding over his case and posting a pic of her head beside crosshairs pic.twitter.com/ze3lnuoSOE — Jon Swaine (@jonswaine) February 18, 2019 Monday night, Stone’s lawyers submitted an official “Notice of Apology” to the judge, trying to head off any sanctions. “Undersigned counsel, with the attached authority of Roger J. Stone, hereby apologizes to the Court for the improper photograph and comment posted on Instragram today. Mr. Stone recognizes the impropriety and had it removed,” his lawyers wrote. But that evidently was not enough for Judge Jackson, whose order raised the question of whether further limits would be placed on Stone, a political operative who worked briefly for the Trump campaign, and has been charged with coordinating actions between the campaign and Wikileaks over emails involving the Hillary Clinton campaign. Stone has charged that the Special Counsel’s office wrongly tipped off CNN to his imminent arrest in late January; last week, the judge ordered the feds to submit information about that matter.

The Latest News Videos