On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

cloudy-day
55°
Rain
H 71° L 58°
  • cloudy-day
    55°
    Current Conditions
    Rain. H 71° L 58°
  • rain-day
    64°
    Evening
    Rain. H 71° L 58°
  • rain-day
    59°
    Morning
    Rain. H 64° L 52°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Entertainment
OJ Simpson sues Las Vegas casino, contends he was defamed
Close

OJ Simpson sues Las Vegas casino, contends he was defamed

OJ Simpson sues Las Vegas casino, contends he was defamed
Photo Credit: Jason Bean/The Reno Gazette-Journal via AP, Pool, File
FILE - In this July 20, 2017, file photo, former NFL football star O.J. Simpson enters his parole hearing at the Lovelock Correctional Center in Lovelock, Nev. Simpson is suing a Las Vegas hotel-casino, alleging unnamed employees defamed him by telling celebrity news site TMZ he was ordered off the property in 2017 for being drunk, disruptive and unruly. (Jason Bean/The Reno Gazette-Journal via AP, Pool, File)

OJ Simpson sues Las Vegas casino, contends he was defamed

O.J. Simpson is suing a Las Vegas hotel-casino that banned him in November 2017, alleging that unnamed employees defamed him by telling a celebrity news site he had been drunk, disruptive and unruly.

Simpson, on parole in Nevada for a 2008 conviction for armed robbery and assault with a weapon, filed the lawsuit Thursday against Nevada Property 1 LLC, corporate owner of the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas.

The complaint acknowledges that Simpson, after several hours with two friends at a steakhouse and a lounge in November 2017, received a notice from a security guard as they left. It prohibited him from returning to the Las Vegas Strip property. He says he was never given a reason.

Cosmopolitan spokeswoman Rachel Henry declined comment

Simpson denied in the lawsuit that he was "belligerent," broke glass or damaged property.

Simpson attorney Malcolm LaVergne said his client's reputation was damaged by "hotel staff" accounts cited in a TMZ report that Simpson "was drunk and became disruptive" at the resort's Clique bar.

TMZ is not a defendant in the lawsuit.

Simpson had been released on parole less than six weeks before the incident, and LaVergne said Friday his client was stung by criticism he received on social media. The attorney said Simpson did not have a Twitter account in 2017.

"Now we've got Twitter. We've got a lawsuit. We'll see how things play out," LaVergne said.

Simpson opened a Twitter account last June with an initial video post saying, "I got a little gettin' even to do." Most posts since have been about football.

The defamation complaint said a parole officer arrived unannounced at Simpson's Las Vegas home following news reports of the Cosmopolitan incident and administered drug and alcohol tests.

Parole officials found that Simpson had not violated probation "and ultimately determined that the Cosmopolitan's assertions against Simpson were false," the complaint said.

Nevada Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Kim Yoko Smith declined to comment about the parole finding. She said state law prohibits disclosure of information about supervision of a parolee.

Simpson has been living in a gated golf course community after being freed from prison. He was convicted in October 2008 of leading five men, including two with guns, in an ill-fated bid to retrieve personal items and memorabilia from two collectibles dealers and a go-between at a Las Vegas casino-hotel.

Simpson claims in the complaint he is a "model" parolee and points to "an extremely warm and positive reception by many" who pose with him for photos.

With good behavior credits, his parole could end before 2022.

The lawsuit characterizes Simpson as "a well-known public figure," college football Heisman Trophy winner and Pro Football Hall of Famer who "has experienced various legal problems."

Simpson was acquitted in Los Angeles in the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ronald Goldman. He was found liable for the killings in 1997 and ordered by a California civil court jury to pay $33.5 million to victims' families.

The lawsuit was first reported by the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • Saying it will make the facility so much better, leaders of the Florida Theatre officially launched a capital campaign to complete a $10 million renovation ahead of the 100th anniversary of the downtown landmark.   WOKV first reported about the renovation plans in July, when Mayor Lenny Curry’s budget outline offered up $1 million each of the next five years to match the Florida Theatre Performing Arts Center, Inc, which is the nonprofit that runs the historic venue. Total contribution from both parties combined at $10 million.  INDEPTH: Once in a generation - Florida Theatre looking at $10 million in renovations, upgrades To date, 72 donors have pledged or gifted $2.2 million toward the campaign that quietly began more than two years ago. The Theatre also instituted a $2.50 per ticket fee on all ticket sales that goes to restoration of the facility. That is projected to bring in approximately $1.5 million over the next five years.   “We’re a little over $7 million towards our $10 million goal as of today so we are super excited about all of this”, said Florida Theatre President Numa Saisselin.  Mayor Lenny Curry reflected on the decades of performances he has attended through the years at the Florida Theatre, and he looks forward to seeing the improvements come to fruition after funding was approved.  “Often times usually in a budget as large as ours some real jewels that are in the budget kind of get lost in the conversation so it’s good to be here today because this really is a jewel and a special nugget in the budget that we just put forward”, Curry said.   Theatre operators want to keep the same feel but install completely new seats. Plans involve better addressing ADA regulations- the seating arrangement now pre-dates those rules, according to Saisselin, so while the venue is in compliance, it is not always an ideal arrangement. Beyond that, there are a few different areas to address, with the auditorium remaining the focus. He says they want to upgrade the sound and lighting systems. Not only will this make for a more enjoyable show for you and the artist or event involved, but he says it could actually save FTPAC some money in the future, because currently, if an artist wants a certain speaker setup, the Florida Theatre may have to rent equipment, as an example. Over 3,000 people attend Florida Theatre every week, or 175,000 per year, according to Saisselin.  The work also includes renovating the bathrooms.  Air conditioning is another item on the list- updating the system so that there’s not a constant need for repairs. The iconic marquee and canopy are also in for some work, although Saisselin says they are not changing the overall look. Digital signs were recently installed at the Florida Theatre as a result of funds from a private donor, but Saisselin says there is still internal wiring work to do on the canopy, along with structural repairs. While the canopy and marquee are not original to 1927, Saisselin says he knows it’s how people recognize the venue, and they want to respect that.
  • Officials have closed all public schools in Roanoke, Virginia, as police search for a former U.S. Marine accused of killing his mother's boyfriend in nearby Franklin County. >> Read more trending news  Sheriff's deputies said Michael Alexander Brown, 22, is wanted on suspicion of shooting and killing Rodney Wilfred Brown, 54, last week at the home his mother and Brown shared in Hardy. Here are the latest updates: dfdf Update 9:30 a.m. EST Nov. 14: Officials with the U.S. Marshals Service are offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of Michael Alexander Brown, 22. Franklin County sheriff's deputies said Brown is wanted on a charge of second-degree murder after his mother's boyfriend, 54-year-old Rodney Wilfred Brown, was found shot dead last week at his home in Hardy. Deputies said Brown deserted his post last month at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, where he served as a combat engineer. Thursday's search was prompted by the discovery of his car on a road in Roanoke, officials said. 'It was unknown where Michael may be headed or where he has been staying since leaving his post,' deputies said Sunday in a news release. 'He has been known to live in the woods and frequent National Parks and National Forests. He is believed to be armed with a high-powered rifle and may have access to other weapons.' Deputies urged anyone with information on Brown's whereabouts to contact authorities at 540-483-6662. Update 8:17 a.m. EST Nov. 14: According to WSET, Roanoke police believe Michael Alexander Brown, who is wanted on a murder charge, was 'in the Roanoke area' and may be armed. According to NBC News, Brown, 22, is facing a second-degree murder charge in the Saturday shooting death of 54-year-old Rodney Brown. Police said Michael Brown, who had been a combat engineer at North Carolina's Camp Lejeune before he deserted last month, 'is most likely on foot and possibly looking for transportation,' WSET reported. The suspect, who is white with brown hair and blue eyes, stands 6 feet tall and weighs 145 pounds, WDBJ reported.  Original report: Police in Virginia are 'actively investigating a situation' near a Roanoke's Patrick Henry High School, authorities said early Thursday. As a result, all of the district's public schools are closed, WFXR and WDBJ are reporting. Please return for updates.
  • There's an urgent search underway for a Georgia mother last seen after leaving a college football game in Athens. >> Read more trending news  The Athens-Clarke County Police Department said Linda Christine Tryon, 42, has been missing since Saturday, Nov. 9.  Tryon was last seen in the downtown Athens area during the University of Georgia vs. University of Missouri football game.  According to friends, Tryon left the game after the first quarter and went downtown to a bar. 'This is completely out of character,' a friend of Tryon told WSB-TV. If anyone has any information about her whereabouts, they are urged to call 706-613-3345.
  • The state fire marshal is investigating the source and cause of a massive fire at the old Thunderbird Motor Hotel property on the Arlington Expressway. Wednesday’s fire created a powerful orange glow that could be seen for miles.  Thunderbird was once a popular hangout in the 60’s and 70’s.  No one was injured in the fire.  VIDEO: Fire destroys Arlington building In January the Jacksonville Daily Record reported a South Florida ownership group announced plans to redevelop the 18-acre property into apartments, hotels and retail including a restaurant. 
  • Milder air is returning after a cold Wednesday in NE Florida. But the next weather story may have big impacts on the Friday rush to work.  Action News Jax Chief Meteorologist Mike Buresh says we’ll see thickening clouds today with scattered showers developing.  Expect a few rumbles of thunder at times late in the afternoon and evening.  Mike says the best opportunity for rain is 6pm today - 6am on Friday, and there will be times of heavy rain. Highs will be in the upper 60’s to near 70 degrees, so up to 10 degrees warmer than Wednesday.  Showers will linger through the early morning hours Friday, and we’ll be cloudy, damp and breezy to end the week.   The weekend will start off with showers closer to the coast and breezy onshore winds. Showers will gradually end through the afternoon. Sunday will be dry with highs in the lower 60’s.

The Latest News Videos