Jacksonville, FL - The smell of smoke and the sounds of fire alarms were in the air in Mandarin early Thursday morning after smoke from an a/c duct prompted 32 residents to be moved from their rooms at The Terrace of Jacksonville senior living facility. A representative from the facility says no one was injured in the incident on Old St. Augustine Road near Hood Road and they are currently in the process of returning residents back into their rooms. They say the source of the smoke was from a roof-top a/c unit.
The representative says Jacksonville Fire Rescue has checked air quality and everything is safe for the people who live at the facility. The facility’s system to keep the smoke in a certain area of the building worked according to the representative.
The representative says their goal is to have everyone back in their rooms by sunrise Thursday morning.
Management tells me 32 people were evacuated from the Terrace of Jacksonville senior living facility after @JFRDJAX put out a smoke coming from the AC unit. Here is damage left over @ActionNewsJax @WOKVNews pic.twitter.com/37JBWYMq0w— Alicia Tarancon (@AliciaANJax) June 20, 2019
Crews are responding to the 10600 block of Old St Augustine rd to a commercial building structure fire to a nursing home....E51 is on scene advising there is smoke in one of the wings. More crews are en route.— MyJFRD (@JFRDJAX) June 20, 2019