On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

cloudy-day
71°
Cloudy
H 82° L 62°
  • cloudy-day
    71°
    Current Conditions
    Cloudy. H 82° L 62°
  • cloudy-day
    63°
    Afternoon
    Cloudy. H 82° L 62°
  • cloudy-day
    57°
    Evening
    Mostly Cloudy. H 66° L 56°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National Govt & Politics
Embattled Illinois prosecutor announces bid for reelection
Close

Embattled Illinois prosecutor announces bid for reelection

Embattled Illinois prosecutor announces bid for reelection
Photo Credit: AP Photo/Kiichiro Sato, File
FILE - In this Feb. 22, 2019 file photo, Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx speaks at a news conference, in Chicago. Foxx who was harshly criticized when her office suddenly dropped charges against actor Jussie Smollett, says Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2019 that she's running for re-election. (AP Photo/Kiichiro Sato, File)

Embattled Illinois prosecutor announces bid for reelection

A prosecutor who came under harsh criticism when her office suddenly dropped charges against actor Jussie Smollett and is now the subject of a court-ordered investigation announced Tuesday she is running for reelection.

In her news release saying she’s seeking the position again, Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx addressed the Smollett case and the furor over the handling of it. The actor was accused of staging a racist and homophobic attack against himself earlier this year in Chicago while in the city filming the television series “Empire.”

“Truth is, I didn’t handle it well. I own that. I’m making changes in my office to make sure we do better,” Foxx said, without elaborating.

She is the first black woman to lead the office that prosecutes cases in the county, which includes Chicago. She was elected in 2016 after promising to make criminal justice reform a priority.

“Four years ago, I ran for State’s Attorney to change criminal justice in Cook County,” said Foxx, who grew up in Chicago’s crime-ridden Cabrini Green housing project. “I’m running again because we’re only getting started.”

Since being top prosecutor, she has verbally tussled with Chicago’s police union. In July, Chicago Fraternal Order of Police president Kevin Graham sent her a letter demanding that she turn over to a special prosecutor any cases in which officers are accused of misconduct or are victims of crimes because of a “deep mistrust” between police and Foxx’s office.

Foxx, in her release Tuesday, accused the union of being opposed to change. She also criticized President Donald Trump, who has repeatedly singled out Chicago for its gun violence, and the National Rifle Association.

“Every day, my office is under attack: from a President who uses our city as a punching bag, the NRA hell bent on letting guns flood our streets, and the FOP clinging to the old ways,” she said, adding that they will “do anything to undercut progress.”

She said her office has been successful in prosecuting more violent crimes, including murder convictions in the high-profile Chicago shootings of 9-year-old Tyshawn Lee in 2015 and 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton in 2013.

Foxx’s opponents include two former prosecutors, Donna More and Bill Conway, and former Cook County Circuit Judge Pat O’Brien.

It remains to be seen how much they will focus on the way Foxx and her office handled the Smollett investigation, but the case will undoubtedly loom over the campaign.

Smollett, who is black and gay, reported that two men shouted racist and anti-gay slurs at him and physically attacked him in January in downtown Chicago. Foxx was approached by former first lady Michelle Obama’s onetime chief of staff on behalf of Smollett’s family after the attack. Foxx later recused herself from the actor’s case because she said she wanted to avoid “even the perception of a conflict” of interest after communicating with a relative of Smollett.

She handed the case to a top aide. And just weeks after Smollett was indicted on 16 counts of disorderly conduct for allegedly staging the attack, Foxx’s office announced it was dropping the case.

Critics, including then-Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson blasted the decision, and months later a judge appointed a special prosecutor to look into why the office abruptly dismissed the case. Smollett has maintained his innocence.

Ironically, it was another criminal investigation by Foxx’s predecessor that is widely believed to have been a critical factor in Foxx’s election in 2016. At the time Foxx was running, State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez was under fire for her handling of the investigation into the fatal shooting of black teenager Laquan McDonald by white Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke in 2014. Alvarez was harshly criticized because her office did not charge Van Dyke until a dashcam video of the shooting was made public more than a year later.

Foxx defeated Alvarez in the Democratic primary in March 2016 and went on to win the general election.

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • More than 300 Saudi military trainees have been grounded indefinitely from flight training at three bases in Florida after a deadly shooting by a member of the Saudi Royal Air Force at Naval Air Station Pensacola. Classroom training will continue this week. Flight training for other students will also resume, The New York Times reported.  The restriction includes 140 students at the naval base in Pensacola; 35 at nearby Whiting Field; and another 128 students at Naval Air Station Mayport, The Associated Press reported.  The order is in an effort to ensure student safety as they recover from the trauma of the shooting. The Saudi shooter killed three members of the U.S. military and injured eight others before he was fatally shot.  The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • Action News Jax has learned that a faculty member at Englewood High School is being reassigned as a “concerning allegation” is investigated, according to a message to families from the school’s principal. We are not naming the faculty member because at this time, that person is not facing criminal charges.  Principal Sara Bravo said the school would cooperate fully with “any external investigative agencies that may become involved.”  Bravo also said the following in a message to Englewood High families:  “Because this is so early in the investigative process, it is premature to say anything further about the allegations at this time. In that regard, I would like to respectfully ask for your restraint in both arriving at conclusions and in discussing this in public forums so that we can protect the integrity of the investigations and the reputation and privacy of those involved as we await factual conclusions.”  Principal Sara Bravo
  • St. Johns County leaders say they need help from families before work can begin on a 50-year beach renourishment project. Sky Action News Jax flew above the 3-mile stretch from Serenata Drive to San Pelayo Court that county leaders want to restore to 2015 conditions.  The county and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said they’ll use sand from the inlet to build dunes 18 feet high.  It’s a 50-year project that aims to protect homes, the beach and A1A. Renourishment will happen every 12 years and as needed, meaning they’ll come in after any major storm.  The county said before work can begin, they need homeowners along the beach to give them access to their easements. It’s the space behind their homes that the project aims to restore.  On Tuesday, the county said they were still waiting for permission from two dozen homeowners. Three quarters of the community already gave them the go-ahead.  If they get access to the easements, project leaders expect construction to begin in June 2020.  They said when the restoration work is completed in December 2020, there will be 100 feet of beach behind homes for families to enjoy.  County leaders have invited families with questions to come to a community meeting from 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday. It’s at the NS Community Center at 120 Meadow Avenue in Vilano.  You can read more about the project here: http://www.sjcfl.us/PublicAffairs/VBrestore.aspx
  • U.S. Representative Ted Yoho had made a campaign pledge when he first ran to unseat Cliff Stearns, that he would only serve four terms in Congress.  Today he announced that he will not seek re-election in 2020.  Yoho’s retirement means 32 House members are now not running for their seats again in 2020.  Washington Insider Jamie Dupree reports 23 are Republicans and 9 are Democrats.  “Carolyn, my children and I want to thank all of our supports and constituents for this incredible journey”, Yoho wrote on Facebook.   Yoho’s district seat has already attracted attention from several Republicans including Joseph Millado, Matthew Raines, Judson Sapp and Amy Wells.  Democrats Philip Dodds and Tom Wells are running to win their party’s primary. 
  • St. Johns County Fire Rescue is working on a master plan for future growth in the department. They say the growing population is straining their resources. They're planning out future fire station locations, staffing allocations, funding and equipment needs.  They want to hear from families. Fire Rescue is hosting two public meetings to garner feedback about families' priorities and expectations related to public safety services.  The first meeting is at 6 p.m. on Dec. 10 at the Nocatee Community Clubhouse, 245 Nocatee Center Way.  The second meeting is at 6 p.m. on Dec. 11 at SJC Fire Rescue Station 5, 3360 U.S. 1 South. The meetings should last no more than two hours and light refreshments will be provided.  Families will be asked to complete a brief questionnaire, and the facilitator will encourage open discussion to better understand the community’s views on Fire Rescue planning, services, staffing, response times, and cost.   For additional information, please call 904-209-1714 or email rfrey@sjcfl.us.

The Latest News Videos