ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
75°
Isolated Thunderstorms
H 93° L 76°
  • cloudy-day
    75°
    Current Conditions
    Isolated Thunderstorms. H 93° L 76°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    90°
    Afternoon
    Isolated Thunderstorms. H 93° L 76°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    86°
    Evening
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 93° L 76°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Former Trump campaign chairman pleads not guilty to charges

President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman will face trial in Virginia before he faces trial in the District of Columbia.

A federal judge in Alexandria on Thursday set a July 10 trial date for Paul Manafort. A grand jury there indicted Manafort on charges that he hid from the Internal Revenue Service tens of millions of dollars he earned advising pro-Russia politicians in Ukraine.

Manafort's lawyer, Kevin Downing, had asked for a trial date in November, citing the complexity of the case. Prosecutors said they were ready to start the trial in May.

U.S. Senior Judge T.S. Ellis III picked the July date, though he did not foreclose the possibility of granting an extension to the defense if warranted.

Most of the charges against Manafort have been filed in the District of Columbia, where Manafort is scheduled for trial in September. But prosecutors say they were required to bring the tax and bank fraud charges in Virginia because they lacked venue in the nation's capital. In court papers, prosecutors said they asked Manafort if he'd be willing to waive venue and have the case consolidated in the District, but he refused.

The 32-count indictment issued by the Alexandria grand jury accuses Manafort of laundering $30 million through offshore accounts, to disguise income he earned from his work in Ukraine and shield it from federal taxes. The indictment also accuses him of bank fraud, saying that when his income from the Ukraine dried up, he lied on mortgages and loan applications about his finances.

At Thursday's court hearing, Ellis questioned whether a 32-count indictment was overkill and should be simplified for a jury. Prosecutor Andrew Weissmann responded that only 18 of the counts directly apply to Manafort; the other 14 apply to Manafort's associate, Richard Gates, who struck a plea deal last month and no longer faces charges in Virginia.

Ellis also questioned the efficiency of running simultaneous prosecutions in the District and Virginia, though he acknowledged that Manafort could not be forced to waive his right to be tried in the proper venue.

The charges are part of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian efforts to influence U.S. elections. Downing said the charges against Manafort go beyond the authority of Mueller's mandate, and advised the judge he will move to dismiss the case on those grounds. He already has filed a civil suit in the District, making the same argument.

Manafort did not speak during the hearing, which was his first appearance in Virginia. His lawyer officially entered a not guilty plea on Manafort's behalf.

The judge imposed similar bail conditions on Manafort to those already in place in the District, including home confinement. But because the District and Virginia use different systems, Manafort will be required to wear two distinct monitoring devices.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • Police in New Hampshire are investigating the death of an elderly woman whose body was discovered when the woman’s adult son had a pizza delivered to their home. The New Hampshire Union Leader reported that the woman, identified by neighbors as Florence Cotter, of Salem, was found dead around 3 p.m. Wednesday. Her son, Gary Cotter, had to be removed from the home through a hole that first responders busted through an exterior wall.  Salem police Capt. Joel Dolan told the Union Leader that a pizza delivery man called police for a welfare check after he attempted to deliver a pizza and Gary Cotter asked him to slide the pizza in through a window instead of approaching the door. Dolan told the newspaper that the delivery man could see hoarding conditions inside the home -- and Florence Cotter’s body lying on the floor. The odor of decay could also be detected near the home Wednesday, the Union Leader said.  A neighbor, Pam Avallone, told the newspaper her daughter had been home when police arrived and had watched as officers with a megaphone tried for two hours to get Gary Cotter to leave the house.  First responders ultimately busted through the wall below a window. “They had a really hard time getting him out,” Avallone told the newspaper.  Avallone said she had not seen Florence Cotter for a couple of years. Other neighbors told the Eagle-Tribune in North Andover, Massachusetts, that they has seen her outside the home earlier this year. “We thought we saw her earlier this summer on our way to the beach,” Tony Difruscia told the Eagle-Tribune. “It was a hot day and we remember questioning why an older woman like that was outside weeding.” >> Read more trending news Another neighbor, Joe Bolis, told the Union Leader that he had been delivering the Cotters’ mail and mowing their lawn for a while. He said he had also been bringing groceries to Gary Cotter through a window for about a year because Cotter had an infection in his legs.  “He’s been sick for a while,” Bolis, 80, said. He said Florence Cotter, who was in her 80s, suffered from Alzheimer’s disease.  The death investigation is being conducted by the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office in conjunction with the state police’s Major Crime Unit and the Salem Police Department, a statement on the attorney general’s website said.
  • A 22-year-old North Carolina driver has been charged with street racing and reckless driving after authorities say he reached speeds of 198 mph. William Jefferson was speeding on U.S. 1 near the Triangle Expressway in Wake County last month, WTVD reported. >> Read more trending news  According to the Highway Patrol, somebody sent a seven-minute YouTube clip shared on Facebook as part of a complaint, The News & Observer reported. “It’s one reason why I don't want my kids on the roads late at night,” Maryanne McAdams told WTVD. “I don't have a driver yet -- we're about a year away, but it's that kind of stuff that makes me really nervous.” The video shows Jefferson in his Dodge Challenger “Hellcat,” allegedly driving nearly 130 mph over the speed limit on U.S. 1, WTVD found. The video also shows Jefferson take the car over 100 mph in a 40 mph zone, police said. “I don't think that road is particularly dangerous but anybody going 198 mph and it's going to be particularly dangerous,' McAdams told WTVD. “It's really a miracle that nobody was hurt or killed in that.” Prosecutors have asked for permission to examine Jefferson’s cellphone. A search warrant was returned to the Wake County clerk’s office Wednesday, The News & Observer reported. Jefferson is expected back in court in September.
  • A McDonald’s employee in West Monroe, Louisiana is facing identity theft charges after being accused of taking photos of customer credit cards while she worked behind the front counter of the restaurant, police said. >> Read more trending news  Zynique Mitchell, 18, told officers that she took photographs of the credit cards during work and attempted to use them to purchase items online later, the Monroe News Star reported. Officers reported that photos of credit cards were found on her phone, according to court documents.  Mitchell told police she tried to use one of the cards but couldn’t complete the purchase, according to police. During the interview, officers searched Mitchell’s purse and found two unmarked pill bottles, according to court papers. Mitchell was arrested Thursday on three counts of identity theft and two counts of sale, distribution or possession of a legend drug without a prescription. She is currently in jail in lieu of a $6,500 bond.
  • Jacksonville police are working to find whoever is responsible for a deadly shooting Sunday night at an extended stay hotel near the St. Johns Town Center.   Police were called around 8pm to Extended Stay America on Skinner Lake Drive regarding a shooting.  36-year-old Cedric DeVonne Walker was found dead inside a room.  Walker’s last known address was in Brandon, near Tampa.   The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office is now calling this a murder investigation.  Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office at 904-630-0500 or Crime Stoppers at 866-845-TIPS.
  • The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is releasing a new composite image of an individual they believe has information about a murder that happened back on Sunday, February 4, 2018. Police say Cedric Devonne Walker, who was also known as Celine Walker, was found dead at the Extended Stay hotel located at 10020 Skinner Lake Drive, near the St. Johns Town Center.  According to JSO, a witness provided information about a person they say at the hotel that day, leading to the development of this composite image.  If you recognize who this person is, you're urged to contact the Sheriff's Office at 904-630-0500. To remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at 1-866-845-TIPS.

The Latest News Videos