ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
46°
Partly Cloudy
H 67° L 46°
  • cloudy-day
    46°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 67° L 46°
  • cloudy-day
    61°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 67° L 46°
  • cloudy-day
    58°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 67° L 46°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Porn actress sues to end silence on alleged Trump affair

An adult film actress who has said she had sex with Donald Trump filed a lawsuit seeking to invalidate a nondisclosure agreement and "set the record straight," her lawyer said Wednesday.

Stormy Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles County Superior Court on Tuesday. She alleges that the agreement she signed days before the 2016 presidential election, which prevented her from discussing the alleged sexual encounters, is "null and void and of no consequence" because Trump didn't personally sign it.

Her lawyer, Michael Avenatti, said on morning news shows Wednesday that she wants "to set the record straight." He said on NBC there was "no question" Trump knew about the agreement, though he did not offer any proof.

Avenatti said Clifford wasn't looking to profit from her story. But he told CBS: "I don't know whether she's going to ultimately seek payment or not."

Clifford initially claimed she had sex with Trump once and then carried on a subsequent yearslong platonic relationship.

But the lawsuit filed Tuesday refers to her beginning an "intimate relationship" with Trump in 2006 that continued "well into the year 2007." She said the relationship included encounters in Lake Tahoe, Nevada, and Beverly Hills, California. Trump married his current wife, Melania Trump, in 2005.

She also has also previously denied through a lawyer that the two had an affair, but Avenatti said Wednesday that was to meet the terms of the nondisclosure agreement. Trump's attorney Michael Cohen has denied there was ever an affair.

Cohen has said he paid the porn actress $130,000 out of his own pocket as part of the agreement. He has also said that "neither the Trump Organization nor the Trump campaign was a party to the transaction with Ms. Clifford, and neither reimbursed me for the payment, either directly or indirectly."

The lawsuit charges that the Oct. 28, 2016, "hush agreement" is legally invalid because it was only signed by Clifford and Cohen. The agreement refers to Trump as David Dennison and Clifford as Peggy Peterson, but an attached exhibit details their true identities.

On Wednesday, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said Trump has "made very well clear that none of these allegations are true."

"The president has denied the allegations against him and again this case has already been won in arbitration," Sanders said.

Sanders declined to elaborate and referred additional questions to Cohen, who did not respond to requests for comment on Tuesday and Wednesday.

An arbitrator in California issued a temporary restraining order last week that barred Clifford from disclosing any confidential information tied to the nondisclosure agreement or details about the arbitration hearing, according to a copy of the order that was obtained by NBC News.

Clifford's lawsuit alleges that Cohen had "surreptitiously initiated a bogus arbitration proceeding" against Clifford and within the last week used an "improper and procedurally defective arbitration proceeding hidden from public view."

The suit also charges that Trump and Cohen "aggressively sought to silence Ms. Clifford as part of an effort to avoid her telling the truth, thus helping to ensure he won the Presidential Election."

"To be clear, the attempts to intimidate Ms. Clifford into silence and 'shut her up' in order to 'protect Mr. Trump' continue unabated," the lawsuit said. Clifford alleges that as recently as last week, Trump's attorney tried to initiate an arbitration proceeding against her.

___

Lucey reported from Washington. Associated Press writer Jill Colvin in Washington contributed to this report.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

The Latest News Headlines

  • A woman is recovering, after being shot during an attempted home invasion on the Westside. The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office says four or five men tried to force their way in to a home on Melvin Road, when the man inside opened the door to let his girlfriend in. That man says the suspects fled when they were not able to get inside, according to JSO. During this incident, JSO says the woman was shot in the back and arm, although it’s unclear from the information that’s been released so far where in the  process shots were fired. The woman’s injuries are not considered life threatening. There is no description of the suspects available at this time. JSO is investigating.
  • The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office is investigating the  death of a 2-month-old in the San Jose Forest area. The Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department called JSO to San Sabastian Avenue- off St. Augustine Road- early Sunday morning, after JFRD responded to a report of an unresponsive two-month-old. The infant was taken to the hospital, but JSO says it could not be revived. The circumstances around the baby’s death are under investigation by Homicide and Crime Scene detectives at this time.
  • President Donald Trump announced on Twitter Sunday morning that he would be reviewing the case of a former special forces officer and Afghanistan war veteran who is facing a murder charge. He said the review is being done “at the request of many.” >> Read more trending news  The Washington Post reported that the Army notified former Army Maj. Mathew L. Golsteyn Thursday that he will face one murder charge. He is accused of killing a suspected Taliban bomb maker without permission in 2010, while in Afghanistan. The military has been investigating him since 2011, when officials said he confessed to the killing during a polygraph test that was part of a CIA job interview. Phillip Stackhouse, Golsteyn’s attorney, disputed the characterization of his client’s comments during the interview. “At the request of many, I will be reviewing the case of a ‘U.S. Military hero,’ Major Matt Golsteyn, who is charged with murder,” Trump tweeted. “He could face the death penalty from our own government after he admitted to killing a Terrorist bomb maker while overseas.” Golsteyn told Fox News in 2016 he killed the suspected bomb maker. “There’s limits on how long you can hold guys,” he said at the time. “You realize quickly that you make things worse. It is an inevitable outcome that people who are cooperating with coalition forces, when identified, will suffer some terrible torture or be killed.” That interview led the investigation to be reopened after a series of on-and-off investigations, Fox News reported. It had previously been dropped in 2014. The Washington Post reported that Trump’s tweeted statement could impact Golsteyn’s military prosecution. It is expected that the commander chief does not make statements that would influence an open case.
  • Facing a Friday night funding deadline for dozens of federal agencies, the Congress has no obvious solution for how lawmakers will handle President Donald Trump’s demand for $5 billion to fund construction of his wall along the border with Mexico, as Republicans don’t seem to have enough votes in the House or Senate to back up the President’s call for action on border wall money. “They do not have the votes to pass the President’s proposal,” House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi said of the $5 billion wall plan. Instead of scheduling a vote on the President’s $5 billion in funding for the wall, GOP leaders last Thursday sent the House home for six days, telling lawmakers not to return until Wednesday evening – about 54 hours before funding runs out for about a quarter of the federal government. “Our schedule for next week remains fluid and subject to change,” said House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), offering no clues as to how the GOP will deal with the possible partial shutdown. The political battle over a shutdown became more heated last week, after President Trump sparred with top Democrats in an Oval Office meeting, as the President said he would be fine with a shutdown. Oval Office: Here are the fiery exchanges you missed from Tuesday's meeting between Trump, Pelosi and Schumer pic.twitter.com/pQkz6e8fcu — TicToc by Bloomberg (@tictoc) December 12, 2018 “If we don’t have border security, we’ll shut down the government,” the President said, making clear he was happy to be blamed for any lapse in funding. But if there is a shutdown, it would be much more limited than usual, because funding bills have already been approved for about 75 percent of the federal budget, including the military, Congress, energy and water programs, the VA, military construction, and more. There are seven funding bills still to be dealt with by Congress and the President, they cover the following areas: + Agriculture – deals with farm programs, Food and Drug Administration, food safety and inspection services, WIC, and SNAP (food stamps) + Commerce, Justice, Science – funds the Justice Department, FBI, Commerce Department, National Weather Service, NASA, and other agencies. + Financial Services – This bill funds the IRS, Treasury Department, FCC, Small Business Administration, the federal courts, the government of the District of Columbia, and more. + Homeland Security – This is the bill which would contain money for the President’s border wall. The House never voted on it, because the GOP didn’t have the votes for the $5 billion in wall funding. The bill funds the Border Patrol, immigration and customs operations, Coast Guard, TSA, FEMA, and other agencies. + Interior – This bill has money for Wildfire prevention, the EPA, BLM (Bureau of Land Management), the National Park Service, Forest Service, Fish & Wildlife, Smithsonian museums and more. + State & Foreign Operations – This bill funds the State Department, and foreign aid programs. Quick, guess how much money the feds spend on this funding bill, as part of an over $4 trillion budget. Time’s up. If you said $47 billion, you win. + Transportation and Housing – This bill funds the Department of Transportation, FAA, Amtrak, and federal housing programs at HUD. For some like Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY), it’s no big deal if those agencies go unfunded, and into shutdown status. If Congress doesn’t pass an Omnibus by Dec. 21st, we won’t have a government #shutdown. It’d be hard to even characterize it as a government slowdown! I made this graphic to show what shuts down (less than 10%) and what keeps going (over 90%!). The media isn’t telling you this! pic.twitter.com/LlB8KeoD74 — Thomas Massie (@RepThomasMassie) December 14, 2018 There would seem to be several options for lawmakers at this point: + Ignore the President’s border wall demands, approve the final seven spending bills, and adjourn the 116th Congress. + Ignore the President’s border wall demands, and just punt the whole battle into the new year with a temporary funding plan for a few weeks, kicking it into 2019. + Approve six of the seven spending bills, and keep the Homeland Security Department on a short term, temporary funding plan, delaying a showdown over border wall money into 2019. + Gridlock – bringing about a partial shutdown involving the bills listed above. The President is reportedly scheduled to spend 16 days at Mar-a-Lago, his Florida retreat in Palm Beach – it’s not clear if he would change his plans if there is a partial shutdown. The Senate returns to session on Monday afternoon; the House is not back until Wednesday evening.
  • A Texas judge has sentenced a mom to 40 years in prison for the hot car deaths of her two toddler daughters. According to the Kerrville Daily Times, Amanda Hawkins, 20, was sentenced Wednesday, about three months after she pleaded guilty to child abandonment and endangerment charges in the June 2017 deaths of her daughters, Brynn Hawkins, 1, and Addyson Overgard-Eddy, 2, in Kerrville. >> Texas mother charged, accused of intentionally leaving toddlers in hot car to die Authorities said Hawkins left the girls in the car outside a Kerrville home overnight as she socialized and smoked marijuana with friends June 6 to 7, 2017, The Associated Press reported. Outdoor temperatures hit 85 degrees, according to the Daily Times. Prosecutors said the girls had been in the car about 15 hours when Hawkins retrieved them, bathing them and Googling heat stroke treatments before taking them to a hospital, the Daily Times reported. Hawkins initially told hospital workers that the girls had collapsed while smelling flowers, but her story 'wasn't quite adding up,' physician Daniel Gebhard said.  >> Read more trending news  Doctors pronounced the girls dead June 8. “There’s not a day that goes by that I think about what I should have done,” Hawkins said before she was sentenced. “It’s heartbreaking, and it will affect me for the rest of my life.” Read more here or here. – The Associated Press contributed to this report.

The Latest News Videos