ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
88°
Mostly Sunny
H 100° L 79°
  • cloudy-day
    88°
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Sunny. H 100° L 79°
  • clear-day
    94°
    Evening
    Mostly Sunny. H 100° L 79°
  • clear-day
    80°
    Morning
    Mostly Sunny. H 97° L 78°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Alabama lab owner accused of forging paternity, drug test results in custody cases
Close

Alabama lab owner accused of forging paternity, drug test results in custody cases

Alabama Lab Owner Accused Of Forging Paternity, Drug Test Results In Family Court Cases

Alabama lab owner accused of forging paternity, drug test results in custody cases

The owner of a lab that conducts paternity tests and drug screenings for at least one Alabama county has been charged with falsifying the results of some of those tests, presenting authorities with a potential wave of consequences in family court cases. 

The allegations against Brandy Murrah, 36, of Clopton, first surfaced on May 2, when Ozark police Chief Marlos Walker said his office received word that drug tests and paternity results were being altered by her lab. The Dothan Eagle reported that A&J Lab Collections did testing for the Dale County Department of Human Resources. 

“At this stage in the investigation, warrants have been obtained for Mrs. Murrah’s arrest for forgery after evidence of drug screening reports that were provided to the Dale County Department of Human Resources by Murrah were found to be falsified,” Walker told the Eagle on May 10

Murrah turned herself in at the Dale County Jail, where she was booked on two counts of forgery, AL.com reported. She has since been released on bond. 

>> Read more trending news

Dale County District Attorney Kirke Adams told AL.com last week that the allegations against Murrah, if true, could mean parents were denied custody of their children based on false failed drug screenings. 

“We’re messing around (with) people’s lives and their children,” Adams told the news site. “It just seems beyond irresponsible to the point of being callous about the consequences.”

Two women who say they lost custody of their children due to Murrah’s alleged actions filed a lawsuit Tuesday against her. Adam Jones, who represents Amy Farver and Tiffany Long, is seeking class action status for the complaint. 

“This is maybe the most troubling case I’ve ever had,” Jones told WTVY in Dothan

Jones told the news station that tests done by Murrah’s lab indicated both of his clients had methamphetamine in their systems, causing the Alabama Department of Human Resources to remove their children from their homes. 

“Both of these ladies went to independent drug testing facilities and medical clinics and got more drug testing done, and all of it was negative,” Jones said

The women have not regained custody of their children, the attorney said. 

If the lawsuit obtains class action status, it would represent “all persons who have submitted urine, blood, hair or other biological specimens to the defendants for testing, with said testing being performed incorrectly, reported incorrectly or not performed or reported at all.”

Read the lawsuit filed against Brandy Murrah below. 

Brandy Murrah Lawsuit by National Content Desk on Scribd

Adams told AL.com he expected more criminal charges to be forthcoming against Murrah, possibly to include additional forgery charges, as well as theft and perjury charges. Theft charges would stem from tests Murrah was paid to perform but didn’t, and perjury charges would evolve from any cases in which she testified under oath about falsified results. 

Murrah was not involved in any criminal cases, AL.com reported. There have been no indications she was paid to change the outcome of any cases. 

The district attorney said it was not yet clear how many custody cases were affected by Murrah’s alleged crimes. 

“We have no idea at this time how many people did not get their children back because of Ms. Murrah’s alleged fraudulent reports,” Adams told the Eagle. “I am furious and offended by these alleged crimes. I don’t understand how someone could be so callous and evil, to have no regard for the consequences of their actions. In my opinion, all cases affected by Murrah’s alleged actions must be redone in order to be fair.

Murrah’s attorney, David Harrison, told the newspaper his client is innocent until proven guilty.

“We are looking forward to going to court, and I believe a lot of information will come out during court,” Harrison said

The forgery charges are not the first criminal charges filed against Murrah. Court records show she pleaded guilty in 2013 to five counts of fraudulent use of a credit or debit card, the Eagle reported

She served three years’ probation in the Houston County case. 

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • President Donald Trump denied Monday that he sexually assaulted Elle magazine columnist E. Jean Carroll in the dressing room of an upscale New York City department store in the 1990s, telling The Hill that 'she's not my type.' 'I'll say it with great respect: No. 1, she's not my type,' Trump said, according to The Hill. 'No. 2, it never happened. It never happened, OK?' >> Read more trending news  In an excerpt published Friday in New York magazine from Carroll's upcoming book – 'What Do We Need Men For? A Modest Proposal' – the long-time columnist said she was assaulted by Trump in the dressing room of Bergdorf Goodman in 1995 or 1996. Trump told The Hill that Carroll is 'totally lying.' 'I don't know anything about her,' he told the news site. 'I know nothing about this woman. I know nothing about her. She is – it's just a terrible thing that people can make statements like that.' Shortly after The Hill published Trump's comments, Carroll responded in an interview on CNN. 'I love that I'm not his type,' Carroll told the news network. She added that Trump's denial of her assault followed the same pattern seen after similar accusations have surfaced. 'He denies. He turns it around. He threatens and he attacks,' she told CNN. Trump has been accused of sexual assault by 15 other women since the launch of his presidential campaign in 2015, according to The New York Times. He has denied any wrongdoing, sometimes saying that the women at the center of the complaints weren't attractive enough to be assaulted or claiming he has never met the women. 'Believe me, she would not be my first choice,' Trump said to cheers at a 2016 campaign event after a woman accused him of groping her on an airplane, according to The Washington Post. 'You don't know – that would not be my first choice.' Carroll says in her upcoming book that Trump recognized her when they ran into each other at Bergdorf Goodman because she hosted a cable television show at the time based on her long-running advice column, 'Ask E. Jean.' She said he asked her to advise him in choosing a gift for a woman. Carroll said that after Trump rejected her suggestions that he buy a handbag or a hat, he asked her to model lingerie he was thinking about buying. She said she went along with him to a dressing room, thinking she could get Trump to try on the outfit. 'I'm spinning a comedy scene in my head,' Carroll told CNN on Monday. 'You see how funny that would be, to make him put that on?' She said things got violent a short time later. 'The minute he closed that door, I was banged up against the wall,' Carroll told CNN. 'I hit my head really hard: boom. … The thing is, it shocked me. For a moment I was stunned, right? And then he tried to kiss me.' She said he pulled down her tights and briefly penetrated her before she managed to fight him off and flee from the dressing room. 'It was against my will, and it hurt, and it was a fight,' she told CNN. She told the news network she would be willing to work with New York police to investigate her allegation, though attorneys have told her the statute of limitations has passed to bring charges against Trump. She told CNN she plans to continue speaking about the incident. 'It's the only way to change things,' she said. 'We have to hold him accountable, not only him but a lot of them – a lot of guys.
  • Phoenix man accused of starving 21-year-old daughter to death, police say   A Phoenix man who acted as caretaker for his disabled 21-year-old daughter has been charged in her death after authorities allege he allowed her to starve to death. Richard Comer, 46, is being held on suspicion of second-degree murder, vulnerable adult abuse and animal abuse following the death of his daughter, Vanessa Comer, last July, according to NBC News. The network reported that the Maricopa County Office of the Medical Examiner recently ruled the young woman’s death a homicide.  >> Read more trending news The Arizona Republic reported that Phoenix police officials allege Comer brought his daughter to a hospital on July 7, 2018, suffering from severe malnutrition and dehydration. She died that same day. Vanessa Comer, who had an undisclosed serious medical condition, was completely dependent on her father for her care, the Republic said. Investigators believe he withheld care from her for at least three months before she died.  Two malnourished and dehydrated dogs were also found in the mobile home Richard Comer shared with his daughter, the newspaper reported.  Richard Comer was arrested Friday and charged in his daughter’s death. He is being held in the Maricopa County Jail in lieu of $500,000 bond. 
  • The FDOT has announced that the clearing stages have started in northwest Jacksonville, to prepare for the upcoming construction. The construction on the Jacksonville National Cemetery access road will be adding a new 3.4 mile two-lane road connecting Lannie Road and Arnold Road, at the Ethel Road intersection.  Also included in this project are bike lanes on the new road, ponds for drainage, and a new bridge over Seaton Creek to improve transportation options for visitors.  This $12.8 million project is expected to be finished in the Fall of 2021 by Anderson Columbia Contractors, Inc. and ownership of the road will then be transferred to the City of Jacksonville.
  • The Jacksonville Transportation Authority says a driver who was fired following a deadly weekend incident in the Mayport Village area violated several policies.  WOKV first reported Monday the bus operator, who had been with JTA for 12 years, was fired for violating JTA Operator Work Rules.  JTA has provided more specific violations including that the driver failed to confirm the doors were closed before allowing the bus to move, as well as failure to be alert for any condition that may cause injury or damage.  The driver also failed to follow Standard Operating Procedure, and displayed conduct unbecoming a JTM Operator.  JSO is still investigating the circumstances surrounding Saturday’s incident that resulted in Jeanie Rozar’s death. Our news partner Action News Jax confirmed she died of injuries sustained after she became entangled in the bus and was hit by it.  JTA is not commenting on any specific details about the incident until JSO has completed its investigation.  JTA told Action News Jax that the model of bus involved in the incident is older and does not have sensors in the doors to alert the bus driver if something is stuck. JTA’s newer model buses do have those sensors.  A memorial was set up across from the bus stop where the incident happened. 
  • A Girl Scout was killed Monday and three other people were seriously injured when a tree fell on the group at a camp in southwest Indiana, WXIN reported. >> Read more trending news  The girl, whose name has not been released, was pinned under the tree along with another child and two adults at Camp Koch in Cannelton, according to WEVV. The Perry County Sheriff's Office said they received a call around 11:30 p.m. In a statement, the Girl Scouts of Southwest Indiana said Camp Koch was closed after the incident. 'There is nothing we take more seriously than the safety and well-being of our girls and volunteers,' the organization said in its statement. 'During this difficult time, the entire Girl Scout family mourns the loss of one of our girls, and we ask for privacy for the individuals and their families as they grieve and mourn this tragic loss.' Camp Koch, a 500-acre camp located on the Ohio River, is a popular place for Girl Scouts to camp during the summer, WXIN reported.

The Latest News Videos