On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

cloudy-day
65°
Cloudy
H 78° L 61°
  • cloudy-day
    65°
    Current Conditions
    Cloudy. H 78° L 61°
  • cloudy-day
    63°
    Morning
    Cloudy. H 78° L 61°
  • cloudy-day
    69°
    Afternoon
    Cloudy. H 70° L 45°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Charges fizzle against bartender accused of over-serving mass shooter who killed 8
Close

Charges fizzle against bartender accused of over-serving mass shooter who killed 8

Charges dropped against bartender accused of over-serving mass shooter who killed 8

Charges fizzle against bartender accused of over-serving mass shooter who killed 8

A grand jury has declined to indict a Texas bartender charged earlier this year with a crime for continuing to serve a drunken man who went on to gun down eight people, including his estranged wife, at a 2017 Dallas Cowboys watch party.

The Dallas Morning News reported Monday that Lindsey Megan Glass, 27, of Plano, will not face charges for her actions Sept. 10, 2017, the night Spencer James Hight, 32, left the bar where Glass worked and drove to the nearby home he once shared with 27-year-old Meredith Emily Hight.

View this post on Instagram

#Gameofthrones watch party!

A post shared by Meredith Emily Hight (@hightmeredith) on

>> Read more trending news 

Spencer Hight, who was armed with multiple weapons, killed Meredith Hight and seven friends, including some of his own closest friends. The gunman was shot and killed by responding police officers.

Court documents obtained by NBC Dallas-Fort Worth indicated Spencer Hight’s blood alcohol concentration was 0.33 at the time of his death, more than four times the legal limit.

>> Related story: Texas bartender over-served man who later killed 8, including estranged wife, police say

Glass’ attorneys, Scott Palmer and Rebekah Perlstein, announced Monday that a Collin County grand jury last month decided against charges against Glass, who was accused of violating the state’s “sale to certain persons” law. A person commits the offense if they, “with criminal negligence, sell an alcoholic beverage to a habitual drunkard or an intoxicated or insane person.”

The crime is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $500.

In a statement obtained by the News, the lawyers said their client was relieved by the grand jurors’ decision.

“It has been our position from the outset that Spencer Hight’s decision to destroy the lives of eight people was wholly unrelated to the four drinks that Hight consumed at the Local Public House,” the attorneys’ statement read.

AP Photo/LM Otero
Law enforcement officers gather Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017, outside the scene of a mass shooting at a home in Plano, Texas. Spencer Hight, 32, killed his estranged wife and seven friends at her home before being shot and killed by responding officers.
Close

Charges fizzle against bartender accused of over-serving mass shooter who killed 8

Photo Credit: AP Photo/LM Otero
Law enforcement officers gather Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017, outside the scene of a mass shooting at a home in Plano, Texas. Spencer Hight, 32, killed his estranged wife and seven friends at her home before being shot and killed by responding officers.

Palmer had strong words for the Plano Police Department in May after Glass had been charged.

“Lindsey Glass is the person who called 911,” Palmer said at that time in a written statement to WFAA in Dallas. “Not only did she know Spencer, but she was friends with Meredith and was supposed to be at the party that evening. In her interviews with detectives, they commended Lindsey for her action and that she saved lives that day.”

Killed alongside Meredith Hight were Anthony Michael Cross, 33; Olivia Nicole Deffner, 24; James Richard Dunlop, 29; Darryl William Hawkins, 22; Rion Christopher Morgan, 31; Myah Sade Bass, 28; and Caleb Seth Edwards, 25. A ninth person was injured in the shooting but survived.

Morgan was a groomsman at the Hights’ September 2011 wedding and Dunlop served as Spencer Hight’s best man when the couple redid their ceremony on a Jamaican cruise the following May, the News reported.

Plano police Detective Paul Martinez, who was lead investigator on the case, wrote in the affidavit for Glass’ arrest that Hight went to the Local Public House twice prior to the mass shooting. During his first visit, he had two well gins, the document said.

During his second visit, he had two beers and a shot.

Watch a portion of the surveillance footage from the Local Public House below, courtesy of WFAA. 

“The video also shows Spencer Hight pulling out a gun from his right front waistband area in the presence of Glass,” the affidavit said. “Affiant’s investigation indicates the gun to be a black .380 Ruger firearm.”

Glass’ attorneys said the video showed Glass was not always watching Hight and that some of his behavior took place outside her view, the News reported.

‘He’s drunk and being weird’

The drunken patron’s behavior concerned Glass enough, however, that she texted a co-worker, Timothy Banks, several times about it.

“Spencer has a big knife on the bar and is spinning it and just asked for his tab and said, ‘I have to go do some dirty work,’” one of the texts read.

Glass also texted, “Psychoooooo” and “He’s drunk and being weird” to Banks, Martinez wrote.

“He just keeps saying he has to put someone in his place,” Glass texted. “He was here earlier, had 2 gins and he only had 2 beers and a shot when he came back. I think he was at another bar while he was gone.”

Banks arrived at the bar and talked to Hight, asking him to put the knife and gun away in his vehicle.

“Hight told Banks he needed to be extremely intoxicated to do what he has plans to do,” the affidavit said.

The two men and Glass were seen on the bar’s patio in surveillance footage and, when Hight left the bar around 7:37 p.m., Banks and Glass could be seen looking for him and leaving the bar to find him, the affidavit said.

Glass, who followed Hight to his estranged wife’s house, called 911 at 8:03 p.m., the document said. Martinez wrote that in the call, Glass told a dispatcher she had a friend in danger and that Hight had a gun and knife and was trying to get into Meredith Hight’s house.

The first 911 call reporting gunshots came in five minutes later.

AP Photo/LM Otero
A policeman carries a rifle Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017, outside the scene of a mass shooting at a home in Plano, Texas. Spencer Hight, 32, killed his estranged wife and seven friends at her home before being shot and killed by responding officers.
Close

Charges fizzle against bartender accused of over-serving mass shooter who killed 8

Photo Credit: AP Photo/LM Otero
A policeman carries a rifle Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017, outside the scene of a mass shooting at a home in Plano, Texas. Spencer Hight, 32, killed his estranged wife and seven friends at her home before being shot and killed by responding officers.

Glass admitted to serving Hight alcohol the night of the slayings and said she could tell something was wrong.

“Glass stated that Hight had to put someone in his or her place,” the affidavit said. “When asked if Hight was a heavy drinker, Glass declined to answer but stated she did not see him drunk a lot.”

Family and friends told the News in 2017, however, that the Hights’ marriage crumbled, in part, because of Spencer Hight’s drinking problem. The strain of finances and Spencer Hight’s inability to get sober took its toll on the marriage, friends and family told local news media.

Meredith Hight’s mother, Debbie Lane, told WFAA in Dallas that her daughter told her Spencer Hight, who had lost his job as a contract software engineer around the time they’d bought their house in 2015, had also been violent toward her on two occasions before she filed for divorce in July 2017.

Lane told NBC 5 in Dallas in May that she didn’t blame Glass for her daughter’s death.

“I don’t blame that bartender,” Lane said. “I feel badly for her that she has gotten caught up in this vortex because of an evil man.”

‘Did you really have to do this?’ 

Court documents obtained by CBS DFW in 2017 detailed what police found when they arrived at Meredith Hight’s home the night of the shooting. Detectives found multiple weapons and hundreds of rounds of ammunition at the scene.

A witness to the mass shooting told investigators she spotted Spencer Hight through a window as she stood in the home’s backyard. He was armed with a rifle, the woman said.

The witness told investigators Meredith Hight pleaded with her estranged husband before he killed her.

“Did you really have to do this?” she told him, according to the witness.

The witness said she then heard gunshots. She said she also saw Spencer Hight fire his weapon at the first officer to arrive on the scene, then heard additional gunfire.

Neighbors who hours earlier had heard the laughter and merriment of the football-watching party told reporters they heard a loud argument right before the gunfire erupted.

Lane told WFAA the cookout and football-watching party symbolized her daughter’s new independence as the Hights’ broken marriage neared its end. NBC 5 reported the divorce was days away from being finalized.

“It was her reclaiming her life, and she was thrilled to be doing that,” Lane said. “It was the happiest she’d been in years. Years.”

The Local Public House came to an agreement with the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission in July 2018 to give up the bar’s business permit, the News reported. A new business has since taken its place.

A lawsuit filed against Glass and the bar by victims’ families was dismissed in May, the same day the arrest warrant for Glass was issued. Attorneys for the families said at the time that the dismissal was “a strategic move” and there were plans to refile the lawsuit at a later date.

The News reported that Carly Shockey, the sole survivor of the shooting, filed her own lawsuit Sept. 9 against Glass and the defunct bar’s owners, Heather Livingston and Jerry Owen.

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • Neighbors in St. Johns County could soon have another option when it comes to health care. Flagler Health+ has plans to build a health and wellness campus in Durbin Park, which will include a hospital and health village.  Action News Jax Courtney Cole gave us details on the project and talked to neighbors to see how they feel about the possible new addition.  'It’s amazing, the progress they’re making!' Linda Jackson exclaimed.  Jackson said she’s lived in St. Johns County all her life.  She said growing up in a small town, St. Augustine, she’s excited to see signs of new development.  'These streets, this was nothing but trees,” Jackson told Cole.  Now, neighbors feel like there are constantly new things popping up, including between I-95 and State Road 9B.  That’s where Flagler Health+ is working with developer GATE Lands.  They're planning to build a comprehensive, 40-acre health and wellness campus.  It will include a health village with family practice, women’s care, pediatrics, urgent care and an 80-bed hospital, set to open in 2023.  While we were driving in the area, we noticed a couple of urgent care centers affiliated with Baptist Health.  Baptist Medical Center South is also only about a 6-mile drive from the area.  When Cole asked the spokesperson for Flagler Health+ about any concerns involving their proximity to other competing hospitals, here’s what they had to say:  “Our market assessment demonstrates a clear need for more health care providers and additional hospital services in the northern part of St. Johns County. Flagler Health+ has been caring for the residents of St. Johns County for more than 130 years and we are excited to bring a new concept in health and wellness to the area that will meet identified needs and advance the physical, social and economic health of this community.”  Neighbors said they’re OK with having a lot of options.  “As long as it’s for the people and not for their pocket, that will be fine,” Jackson said.  But there is something Jackson said she’d like to see come to Durbin Park: “Target! We need a Target!”  Flagler Health+ told Cole the project would cost approximately $200 million.  Flagler Health+ plans to break ground on the project this fall and open it in phases once it receives final approval commission.
  • After a week of investigation, the school district said the Clay County District Schools Police Department “could not establish a causal relationship between the food and the alleged illnesses” of Oakleaf Junior High School students whose parents said they tested positive for THC after eating food served during a class presentation on February 7.  QUICK FACTS:  The Clay County School District says investigators have not been able to confirm bread brought into a classroom was laced with THC and made children sick.  Some parents told Action News Jax they are frustrated with the results of the investigation and want more accountability from the school.  “Not even the place that you send them where they’re supposed to be okay during the day is OK either,” parent Alysha Pierre said.  Pierre’s stepson was one of the 8th grade students that tested positive for THC. She showed the lab results to Action News Jax reporter Elizabeth Pace.  “It makes me angry because these big corporations have all these people, you have these people to back you, but who protects my children, that’s what I want to know,” Pierre said.  After hearing the conclusion of the investigation, some parents told Action News Jax they are frustrated and want accountability from the school.  “Just for someone to stand up and say, ‘You know what, something obviously happened and someone is going to take responsibility,’” Pierre said. “But to me it just seems like it’s not going to happen and I’m not surprised at it at all.”  The Clay County School District released the following statement on the investigation:  “The Clay County District Schools Police Department learned that several students and a teacher at Oakleaf Junior High School claimed to be ill after consuming food during class on Friday, February 7, 2020. After more than a week of investigation, which included interviews and testing, the Police could not establish a causal relationship between the food and the alleged illnesses. This event has provided an opportunity for the District to review existing policies on food prepared outside of the cafeteria. As always, safety is the highest priority and the District will continue to search and identify ways to increase positive experiences for all students and staff.”
  • A court ruled that Florida cannot bar felons who served their time from voting, even if they haven’t paid their fines or court fees. Amendment 4, approved by voters in 2018, allowed nonviolent felons who served their time to regain the right to vote. Lawmakers passed a bill in 2019 that required some of those felons to pay off court fees, fines and restitution before they were able to vote. That law is now being argued in court. A three-judge panel of the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the original ruling by a Tallahassee federal judge that requiring paying all fines and fees first is an unfair poll tax. Gov. Ron DeSantis said the state will immediately ask the entire 11th Circuit to reconsider the ruling. It was not immediately clear whether felons with unpaid fees would be able to vote by the upcoming primaries.
  • The St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office is asking the community for help in identifying a body that was found behind a Family Dollar on Feb 14, around 10 a.m. According to SJSO, the body was recovered behind Family Dollar at 500 SR 16, St. Augustine.  The St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office describes the body:  40’s to early 50’s  Approximately 6-feet tall  165-pounds  Medium length dark hair  Scruffy short beard with some graying  Wearing black flip-flops, khaki cargo shorts, long sleeve dark grey pullover sweatshirt  Tattoo of a small Celtic type cross on the inside of his right leg above the ankle  Anyone with information on the possible identity of this individual is asked to contact Detective James Jackson of the Major Crimes Unit at (904) 209-2142 or email jpjackson@sjso.org.
  • Authorities in Missouri have arrested three relatives after an 11-year-old girl gave birth last week in a bathtub at a home in the St. Louis suburbs, according to multiple reports. An adult man and an adult woman have been charged with endangering the welfare of a child in connection to the case. A 17-year-old boy was also arrested on charges of incest, statutory rape and statutory sodomy of a child younger than 12 years old, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and The Associated Press. The birth was discovered after a man brought the newborn to a hospital, claiming the child had been left on his front porch, KSDK reported. Charging documents obtained by the news station showed the infant had a body temperature of 90 degrees and still had an umbilical cord and placenta attached after being brought to the hospital. The man later admitted that he was related to the baby and told authorities he was unaware the 11-year-old girl was pregnant until she gave birth to the child, according to the AP. The man was arrested and charged with endangering the welfare of a child, KSDK reported. A judge ordered him held in lieu of a $10,000 cash-only bond. Charging documents said he came to the country illegally and had previously been deported, according to the AP. In a probable cause statement obtained by the Post-Dispatch, authorities said a 17-year-old boy related to the 11-year-old girl admitted to having sexually assaulted the girl about 100 times. After his arrest last week, a judge ordered him held in lieu of a $25,000 bond, according to the newspaper. Authorities made a third arrest in the case Tuesday, charging an adult woman with failing to provide the 11-year-old with medical care as she was giving birth. She was ordered held in lieu of a $10,000 bond, according to the AP.

The Latest News Videos