ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
79°
Partly Cloudy
H 91° L 79°
  • cloudy-day
    79°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 79°
  • cloudy-day
    86°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 79°
  • cloudy-day
    88°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 79°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Former longtime Louisiana sheriff charged with rape, incest
Close

Former longtime Louisiana sheriff charged with rape, incest

Ex-Louisiana Sheriff Charged with Rape, Incest

Former longtime Louisiana sheriff charged with rape, incest

A former longtime Louisiana sheriff has been charged with multiple sex crimes, including rape and incest, authorities said. 

Rodney Jack Strain Jr., 56, of Abita Springs, is charged with two counts of aggravated rape, two counts of aggravated incest, indecent behavior with a juvenile and sexual battery, according to St. Tammany Parish Jail records. He is being held in lieu of $2.4 million bond. 

>> Read more trending news

Strain is in the same jail he once presided over as St. Tammany Parish sheriff. Warren Montgomery, district attorney for Louisiana’s 22nd Judicial District, said Strain faces life in prison on the aggravated rape charges.  

Montgomery said during a news conference Tuesday that Strain, who NOLA.com reported served as St. Tammany sheriff for 20 years, had been under investigation for 18 months after investigators with the Louisiana State Police, the FBI and the Internal Revenue Service presented his office with evidence of the alleged sex crimes. 

NOLA.com reported the allegations surfaced during a separate investigation in which FBI agents were looking into an inmate work release contract Strain awarded in 2013. The company that was awarded the contract was in the names of the children of two of Strain’s deputies, the news site said

Both former St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office captains pleaded guilty for their part in the business scheme in February. 

Meanwhile, the sex abuse investigation of Strain continued. 

“Over the following months, we conducted a joint investigation, brought in the U.S. Postal Inspection Service and used the grand jury to confirm and corroborate the allegations,” Montgomery said. “The results of that investigation were presented to the grand jury, which returned an indictment this morning.”

Watch District Attorney Warren Montgomery's news conference below. 

Strain is accused of abusing a total of four victims, Montgomery’s staff said in a news release. He is accused of committing aggravated rape on one victim between June 1979 and July 1980, and a second victim between January 1975 and September 1981. 

The third and fourth alleged victims were relatives of his. He is accused of aggravated incest against both victims, one between 1996 and 2002. Strain is also accused of indecent behavior with the third victim, the news release said

The fourth victim, who was reportedly abused in 2004, was also a victim of sexual battery, according to Montgomery’s office

Strain’s indictment, which was obtained by NOLA.com, indicates two of the four victims were under the age of 12 when the abuse took place. Strain himself would have been 12 years old in 1975, when the time frame for one of the alleged crimes began, the news site pointed out

“I have a duty to pursue justice when a crime has been committed,” Montgomery said during Tuesday’s news conference. “The grand jury also has a duty, and when presented with evidence (of sexual misconduct by Mr. Strain) that made a determination of probable cause evident to them, they returned an indictment in this matter. 

“Mr. Strain deserves a speedy and fair trial by an impartial jury, and for that reason, I will have no further comment or answer any questions.”

Strain, who started his law enforcement career with the Abita Springs Police Department, was first elected sheriff in St. Tammany Parish in 1996, NOLA.com said. He remained in office through 2014 before being defeated by current Sheriff Randy Smith. 

Smith issued a statement Tuesday, in which he said the allegations against Strain are “disgraceful and shocking,” NOLA.com reported

Residents of tiny Abita Springs also expressed shock in December, when the allegations against their one-time police chief first surfaced publicly. 

“We never saw him as that person,” resident Evette Randolph told the news site. “He was always a well-mannered guy to be around. From growing up around him, it just doesn’t sound like the guy we knew then.”

Aside from the mandatory life sentence if convicted of the aggravated rape charges, Strain faces up to 20 years for each aggravated incest charge, up to 10 years on the sexual battery charge and up to seven years on the indecent behavior charge, according to Montgomery’s office

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • A California police officer has died after a shooting in Sacramento, multiple news outlets reported early Thursday. According to The Associated Press, Sacramento police Officer Tara O'Sullivan, 26, was shot about 6 p.m. Wednesday when a gunman opened fire during a domestic dispute call involving a man and a woman. O'Sullvian, who was seriously injured, was taken to a nearby hospital and later died, authorities said. >> Read more trending news Police said O'Sullivan, who was in training, had been helping the woman gather her things from a Redwood Avenue home when the shots rang out.  Hours later, the gunman was still firing shots. As of late Wednesday, officers were unable to contact him, the AP reported. Residents of the neighborhood have been evacuated to a nearby elementary school, KTXL reported. Early Thursday, the Police Department tweeted that officers are 'devastated' about O'Sullivan's death. 'Our hearts are with Tara's family, whose pain can hardly be imagined,' the department tweeted. 'Please hold her family in your thoughts and prayers.' Read more here or here. – The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • The smell of smoke and the sounds of fire alarms are still in the air in Mandarin early Thursday morning after smoke from an a/c duct prompted 32 residents to be moved from their homes at The Terrace of Jacksonville senior living facility. A representative from the facility says no one was injured in the incident on Old St. Augustine Road near Hood Road and they are currently in the process of returning residents back into their rooms.  The representative says Jacksonville Fire Rescue has checked air quality and everything is safe for the people who live at the facility.   
  • Months after an armed home invasion robbery in Fernandina Beach that injured two people, investigators say they've now arrested a third suspect in connection. The Fernandina Beach Police Department has announced the arrest of 24-year-old Cedrice Brown. They say he was taken into custody early Wednesday morning, not far from the University of North Carolina.  Police tell us when he was arrested he was in possession of two stolen guns and booked on various North Carolina charges. A hold has been placed on Brown to have him extradited to Florida, where he faces armed robbery and armed burglary charges.  Police say since the December 22, 2018, incident at a home on Manatee Avenue, they've determined that the robbery was pre-planned due to one of the suspects involved having knowledge of where certain items were.  At the time of the robbery, police 15 people were inside. The victims reported seeing several suspects wearing masks and carrying various weapons, rifles, handguns and knives.  Two people were injured during the robbery, after being hit in the head with guns.  WOKV told you that one suspect was arrested while attempting to flee. A second suspect was arrested at a later time.  Police say they're continuing to work on identifying the remaining suspects, who they believe are from outside the Nassau County-area.
  • Authorities arrested an 11th person Tuesday in connection with the ambush shooting last week of former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic. >> Read more trending news  In a press briefing Wednesday evening, the Dominican Republic’s lead prosecutor said that Ortiz was not the target of a shooting.  Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez said the target was another man, dressed similarly to Ortiz, who was seated next to him the night of June 9. Rodríguez said the shooting was orchestrated by a member of Mexico’s Gulf Cartel, who remains on the run. He did not immediately describe a motive. An unidentified official told The Associated Press that Franklin Junior Merán was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of renting one of the cars used in the June 9 shooting in Santo Domingo. Ten other suspects have already been ordered to spend a year in preventive detention as the investigation continues, including the accused shooter. Authorities say they are looking for at least three other suspects, including the man they believe paid the hit men. Ortiz continued recovering Wednesday in the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. Ortiz’s wife, Tiffany Ortiz, said doctors upgraded Ortiz’s condition to good Tuesday. “We remain grateful to everyone who has helped David through this ordeal, both in the Dominican Republic and here in Boston,” Tiffany Ortiz said in a statement released by the Red Sox. “David’s journey to good health has been bolstered by the many expressions of love that have come to us from across the globe. Your support has lifted his spirits tremendously during this challenging time.” Authorities continue to investigate. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • A man said his fiancee put eye drops into his soft drink Saturday at their Rowan County home. >> Read more trending news  The man told authorities he confronted his fiancee, Jaymee Cruz, after he said he watched her put the drops in his Coca-Cola. He then locked himself and their baby in the bathroom and called 911. Deputies said when they arrived at the scene, Cruz at first denied putting eye drops in the drink, but later said she did it to make the man sick. Cruz said she got the idea from the movie 'Wedding Crashers' and did it because she wanted to move out of the home with their daughter, authorities said. Consuming eye drops is extremely dangerous and can be deadly. The main ingredient reduces redness in the eyes, but when ingested it can rapidly reach the blood and central nervous systems. It's not the first time a person has been accused of using eye drops to poison their significant other. Last year, York County investigators charged Lana Clayton in her husband’s death after she said she put eye drops in his water, WSOC-TV reported. Stephen Clayton’s toxicology report showed he had poisonous levels of the key ingredient in eye drops.

The Latest News Videos