On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

clear-day
66°
Clear
H 69° L 56°
  • clear-day
    66°
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 69° L 56°
  • clear-night
    60°
    Evening
    Clear. H 69° L 56°
  • clear-night
    58°
    Morning
    Clear. H 80° L 66°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Labor Secretary Alex Acosta resigns amid scrutiny of 2008 Jeffrey Epstein plea deal
Close

Labor Secretary Alex Acosta resigns amid scrutiny of 2008 Jeffrey Epstein plea deal

What You Need To Know: Alexander Acosta

Labor Secretary Alex Acosta resigns amid scrutiny of 2008 Jeffrey Epstein plea deal

Labor Secretary Alex Acosta said Friday that he is stepping down from his role amid mounting pressure to resign for his handling of a 2008 plea deal involving wealthy financier and accused child predator Jeffrey Epstein.

>> Read more trending news 

Standing next to President Donald Trump while addressing reporters Friday, Acosta said he decided to resign because he didn't think it was right for his handling of Epstein's case to distract from his work as secretary of labor.

"My point here today is we have an amazing economy and the focus needs to be on the economy job creation," Acosta said.

>> Read the latest from our Washington Insider, Jamie Dupree

He added that his resignation will be effective in seven days.

Acosta has served as the U.S. secretary of labor since April 28, 2017.

"I think he was a great labor secretary, not a good labor secretary," Trump said Friday. "He's done a fantastic job. He's a friend of everybody in the administration."

Trump said he thought Acosta did a "very good job" earlier this week while explaining the circumstances surrounding the 2008 nonprosecution deal reached with Epstein while Acosta was serving as the U.S. attorney in Florida.

"He explained it," Trump told reporters Friday. "He made a deal that people were happy with and then 12 years later they're not happy with it."

The deal, which has come under renewed scrutiny since federal authorities revealed new sex trafficking charges against Epstein on Monday, allowed the 66-year-old to avoid significant jail time and federal prosecution after he was accused of molesting teenage girls.

Acosta defended his former office at a news conference Wednesday and claimed federal prosecutors only stepped in because state prosecutors planned to drop the case against Epstein. Former state officials involved in the case have disputed Acosta's account.

Federal prosecutors in New York on Monday unveiled new charges of sex trafficking and sex trafficking conspiracy against Epstein. He is accused of molesting dozens of teenage girls in Florida and New York between at least 2002 and 2005.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • A California father is facing multiple charges, including murder, in the death of his toddler son, authorities said. According to the Fresno Bee, Jesse Ashton, 23, of Mariposa, surrendered to authorities Friday, less than two weeks after they issued a warrant accusing him of murder and assault resulting in the April 2018 death of 22-month-old Bradley Reynolds. Ashton was jailed on $1 million bond, the Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release. Deputies previously arrested Ashton on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter April 19, 2018, after Bradley died at an area hospital earlier that week, the Sheriff’s Office said. Ashton, who claimed that the boy had suffered a seizure, was released on bail, authorities said. “Based on evidence available at that time, no charges were filed by the District Attorney’s Office,” the news release said. But that changed after officials completed an autopsy and pathology report and gathered more information during their investigation, the Sheriff’s Office said. Authorities reviewed the results in November and issued an arrest warrant for Ashton on Dec. 2, according to the news release. “The incontrovertible evidence shows that Jesse Ashton murdered his child,” District Attorney Walter Wall said in a statement. Read more here or here. Deputies previously arrested Ashton on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter April 19, 2018, after Bradley died at an area hospital earlier that week, the Sheriff’s Office said. Ashton, who claimed that the boy had suffered a seizure, was released on bail, authorities said. “Based on evidence available at that time, no charges were filed by the District Attorney’s Office,” the news release said. But that changed after officials completed an autopsy and pathology report and gathered more information during their investigation, the Sheriff’s Office said. Authorities reviewed the results in November and issued an arrest warrant for Ashton on Dec. 2, according to the news release. “The incontrovertible evidence shows that Jesse Ashton murdered his child,” District Attorney Walter Wall said in a statement. Read more here or here.
  • Police in Oklahoma are investigating after a fatal triple shooting Saturday afternoon in Jenks. Investigators told KOKI-TV that a man and his two sons are dead after what they believe is a case of murder-suicide. Police said the children’s mother was at work at the time. The shooting happened in the Country Woods neighborhood near West 106th Street South and South Madison Street South. Officers responded to a call around 12:50 p.m. regarding a domestic incident at the home. Police said others living in the home called 911. No one else in the home was injured.
  • Police in Jacksonville Beach are investigating after more than a dozen cars were broken into over the course of a few days. It started last weekend along 5th Street South where several of those burglaries took place.  Police reports said there were 14 burglaries that happened Saturday through Monday.  Joseph Rennie said he’s hoping this weekend they don’t see a repeat.  “All in all, this is a pretty safe neighborhood. But occasionally, you have things like this happen and come up, but it’s definitely a little bit unnerving,” Rennie said.  Police said someone was going around smashing out windows of vehicles and looking for valuables inside. Wallets, credit and debit cards were taken.  Some people had nothing taken, but were left with a broken window. It happened to 6 cars on 5th Street, 4 cars on 12th, and several others on the surrounding blocks.  Rennie, like many others who live in the area, said he’s thankful he wasn’t a victim, but was surprised it happened to so many people in the area.  “There is a sense of just making sure you’re being smart about it, not leaving stuff of value in your car, kind of anywhere. But yeah, its really unfortunate to see that that’s happened, especially around the holiday season,” Rennie said.  As always, police are urging people not to leave valuables in their cars.
  • Florida, along with 29 other states, has been accepted for membership into the Electronic Registration Information Center (ERIC), according to Governor Ron DeSantis' office. ERIC is a multi-state partnership that uses a data-matching tool to help enhance election security and make voter rolls more accurate.  The governor's office says through ERIC, member states can share information from voter registration systems, motor vehicle databases, social security death records, and US Post Office records, to help identify voters who have moved, passed away, or changed their name.  Additionally, the governor's office says ERIC will help boost voter registration as it will provide member states better information on how to contact potentially eligible, but unregistered voters.  Governor DeSantis says he has set aside an estimated $1.3 million in his 2020-2021 recommend budget to conduct outreach to these unregistered voters with a direct mailer prior to the 2020 general election.  But the governor's office says Florida's full participation in ERIC will be contingent on the state legislature signing off on his budget. Being a member of ERIC requires annual dues of around $75,000.
  • In response to a smash-and-grab burglary at a Fernandina Beach gun store where thieves stole 57 guns in 60 seconds, The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the National Shooting Sports Foundation announced a reward of up to $5,000 for tips leading to the arrest of suspects or recovery of stolen guns. The burglary happened Sunday, Dec. 8 at TNT Firearms and Accessories off State Road 200 in Nassau County.  Security footage shows 3 suspects smash through a glass door before breaking glass display cases and ransacking the store of 57 rifles and handguns.  The ATF is offering a reward of up to $2,500, which will be matched by the NSSF for a total of up to $5,000.  The ATF and NSSF are working together in a national campaign to fund rewards in cases involving guns being stolen from federally licensed dealers.

The Latest News Videos