On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

cloudy-day
52°
Cloudy
H 63° L 47°
  • cloudy-day
    52°
    Current Conditions
    Cloudy. H 63° L 47°
  • cloudy-day
    62°
    Afternoon
    Cloudy. H 63° L 47°
  • cloudy-day
    59°
    Evening
    Mostly Cloudy. H 63° L 47°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Missing New Mexico girl Renezmae Calzada found dead after 3-day search, police say
Close

Missing New Mexico girl Renezmae Calzada found dead after 3-day search, police say

Police: Missing girl Renezmae Calzada found dead after 3-day search

Missing New Mexico girl Renezmae Calzada found dead after 3-day search, police say

A New Mexico girl who had been missing since Sunday morning was found dead Wednesday, authorities said.

>> Read more trending news 

According to KOB-TV, search crews discovered the body of Renezmae Calzada about noon in the Rio Grande, a Federal Bureau of Investigation spokesman said. She was 5 years old. 

Renezmae had been in the front yard of her Espanola home before she disappeared sometime after 9:30 a.m. Sunday, authorities said earlier this week. The girl's mother, Victoria Maestas, reported her missing about 10 hours later, the Albuquerque Journal reported.

"Malcolm Torres is the father," a 911 dispatch report read, according to the Rio Grande Sun. "Father hasn't reported the child missing and thought the (mother's) family picked her up."

In an Amber Alert issued Sunday night, the Rio Arriba County Sheriff's Office described Renezmae as a 4-foot-tall Hispanic girl with brown eyes and black hair. The child, who weighed about 35 pounds, was wearing a Disney "Frozen" shirt and blue shorts before she disappeared, authorities said.

Deputies detained Torres, 25, on unrelated warrants but claimed Tuesday that he isn't considered to be a suspect in the case, Albuquerque Journal reported. He remained in jail Wednesday but is not currently facing any charges related to the girl's disappearance or death, according to the newspaper.

Authorities declined to answer questions about possible suspects at a Wednesday news conference.

The Journal reported that police responded to a report of a domestic dispute involving Torres and Maestas, who also have a son together, last October. Authorities arrested Torres but later dropped the charges against him.

According to court documents, Maestas recently filed for custody, the Journal reported. The couple had been slated to appear at a November court hearing over child support, the newspaper said.

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • It’s going to be a damp start to the work week.  Action News Jax Chief Meteorologist Mike Buresh is tracking three systems that will bring at least some rain this week, with nice weather in-between. “This disturbance moving through with some rain, but amounts look to be less than a tenth of an inch pretty much across the board today. So, we’ll get this disturbance out of here by this evening. Skies will clear tonight, and it’ll be chilly, down into the lower 40’s but a couple of really nice days ahead after that”, said Buresh.   Tuesday looks to be the nicest day of the week with sunny skies and temps in the upper 60's.  Wednesday afternoon is our next disturbance, and the third comes through on Friday.  Overall temps will be near average in the mid-60’s this week, with some fluctuations when it rains. 
  • Police are asking for the public's help to identify a child dropped off at a metro Atlanta Walmart. Gainesville police said the boy was found inside a the Walmart at 440 Shallowford Road. Officers believe the child is 3 years old and may be named Brandon. His father's name is possibly Alejandro. Police believe the child was possibly dropped off by a Hispanic man driving a white Ford cargo van. Police are asking anyone with information to call Hall County Dispatch at 770-534-5251.
  • President Donald Trump’s legal team will continue his defense Monday as his impeachment trial goes into its sixth day. The president’s attorneys began presenting the case Saturday following three days of presentation from the U.S. House managers. Here is how you can watch the proceedings on television and online: What time does it start: The Senate will reconvene at 1 p.m. and the trial will continue then. How can you watch: The trial will be live on cable news networks like CNN, Fox and MSNBC as well as CSPAN-2. It will also be broadcast live on ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS. You can catch coverage on the channels online sites by going to the homepage for each network and finding a link to live coverage. The networks also have YouTube channels where the livestream of their coverage of the trial can be accessed. Most local television and newspaper sites will also have livestreams on their websites. Go to the TV or newspaper homesite and look for a link. What to expect: On Monday, the president’s attorneys will continue their presentation. They have roughly 22 hours left to present their case. On Monday, Harvard Law professor Alan Dershowitz and Ken Starr, the independent counsel who investigated the last president to be impeached, Bill Clinton. Dershowitz is expected to make a presentation about the constitutional aspects of impeachment The trial could end this week if a vote to call additional witnesses fails. If it passes, the trial could run for several weeks.
  • Three students from the University of Washington, Seattle, campus are being screened for the new coronavirus, according to a release Sunday from the university’s Environmental Health and Safety Department. University officials said the school was notified by Public Health – Seattle & King County. The students recently traveled to Wuhan, China, where the new virus first appeared, and developed symptoms after returning, according to the release. The students were tested, and two who live on campus are waiting for test results to be returned, officials said. The third student, who lives off-campus, tested negative for the infection. The two students are being monitored by health officials and were moved to isolated housing until they are cleared by PHSKC. Officials said testing is a precautionary measure that’s being taken but anticipate more people that are tested will not have the infection. None of the students were hospitalized and all are doing well, health officials said. Only one case of the coronavirus has been confirmed in Washington state and five cases total in the United States.
  • A manhunt is underway for a child rape suspect from North Dakota. According to KFYR-TV, Roberto Alvarez, 36, of Minto, is facing aggravated rape charges after police said he sexually assaulted a 5-year-old child. Alvarez, aka Carolos Sanchez and Roberto Sanchez, also has ties to Grand Forks, Fargo and Moorhead, Minnesota, the news outlet reported. Anyone with information about Alvarez's whereabouts is asked to contact law enforcement. Read more here.

The Latest News Videos