ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
85°
Partly Cloudy
H 88° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    85°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 88° L 74°
  • cloudy-day
    75°
    Morning
    Partly Cloudy. H 88° L 74°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    85°
    Afternoon
    Isolated Thunderstorms. H 86° L 75°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
New York AG investigating fraudulent net neutrality comments to FCC
Close

New York AG investigating fraudulent net neutrality comments to FCC

New York AG investigating fraudulent net neutrality comments to FCC
Photo Credit: Drew Angerer/Getty Images
Surrounded by DACA recipients and immigration activists, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman speaks during a press conference to announce the filing of a multi-state lawsuit to protect DACA recipients, at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, September 6, 2017 in New York City. (Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images)

New York AG investigating fraudulent net neutrality comments to FCC

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said Tuesday that his office is investigating tens of thousands of comments posted to a notice of the FCC’s proposed change to net neutrality rules after learning that they were made by impersonators.

>> Read more trending news

The investigation was launched six months ago, after researchers and reporters learned that the comment process, which is integral to the agency’s procedure for determining such rule changes, was being usurped by fraudsters who submitted an enormous number of fake comments, Schneiderman said Tuesday in an open letter to FCC Chairman Ajit Pai.

“While some of these fake comments used made up names and addresses, many misused the real names and addresses of actual people as part of the effort to undermine the integrity of the comment process,” Schneiderman wrote. “That’s akin to identity theft, and it happened on a massive scale.”

He said that the identities of tens of thousands of New Yorkers were fraudulently used.

“Analysis showed that, in all, hundreds of thousands of Americans likely were victimized in the same way, including tens of thousands per state in California, Georgia, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and possibly others,” Schneiderman wrote.

He said his office tried nine times over the course of five months to get records from the FCC necessary to investigate the apparent identity theft. He said his office and the FCC have shared information with one another before, but that despite offers to keep the records confidential, as done in the past, New York officials have “received no substantive response to our investigative requests.” 

“We all have a powerful reason to hold accountable those who would steal Americans’ identities and assault the public’s right to be heard in government rule making,” Schneiderman wrote. “If law enforcement can’t investigate and (where appropriate) prosecute when it happens on this scale, the door is open for it to happen again and again.”

He urged Pai and the FCC to “reconsider its refusal to assist in my office’s law enforcement investigation.”

“In an era where foreign governments have indisputably tried to use the internet and social media to influence our elections, federal and state governments should be working together to ensure that malevolent actors cannot subvert our administrative agencies’ decision-making processes,” he wrote.

Pai previously pledged to try to repeal the net neutrality regulations enacted under the Obama administration, which treat internet service providers as if they were utility companies that provide essential services, like electricity. The rules mandate that they give equal access to all online content and apps.

Pai distributed his alternative net neutrality rule plan to other FCC commissioners Tuesday in preparation for a Dec. 14 vote. Although the FCC’s two Democrats said they will oppose the proposal, the repeal is likely to prevail as Republicans dominate 3-2. The vote for net neutrality in 2015 was also along party lines, but Democrats dominated then.

Schneiderman said that his office’s investigation is not about net neutrality, but is instead about “the right to control one’s own identity and prevent the corruption of a process designed to solicit the opinion of real people and institutions.”

“Misuse of identity online by the hundreds of thousands should concern everyone – for and against net neutrality, New Yorker or Texan, Democrat or Republican,” Schneiderman said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • An Elkton woman is accused of stealing thousands of dollars in jewelry from a condo she was hired to clean, and deputies believe there are more victims. 60-year-old Julie Gill has been arrested for grand theft. She’s accused of stealing two pendants- worth $10,000 each- from a jewelry box in a condo she was cleaning, and pawning the items in Palatka. Deputies say the victim positively identified the pendants as ones that had been stolen from her bedroom.  Detectives believe Gill pawned several other items of jewelry and precious metal, dating back to last November. They believe these items may belong to other victims, who do not realize the items have been stolen. Additional charges could be pending, as the investigation continues.  If you have any information about this case, the suspect, or something that may have been stolen from you, you’re asked to contact SJSO Detective J. Carballosa at 904-295-3417. You can also submit an anonymous tip and be eligible for a possible reward by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-888-277-TIPS.
  • The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office has announced three arrests in connection to the disappearance of a Northside man. According to JSO, they were called to Langford Street on March 6, 2018, after getting a report of suspicious individuals running through the area.  After speaking with several individuals, police determined Jamel Kelly was being chased by three individuals. Officers searched the area, but didn't find any sign of Kelly or any crime.  A few days later, Kelly's ex-girlfriend called JSO saying he still hadn't been heard from, which she said was unusual. JSO's Missing Persons Unit got involved from there.  As part of their investigation, JSO says detectives found reason to believe that Kelly was no longer alive.  JSO's Homicide Unit then got involved. According to their investigation, police now believe that Kelly was killed that original night, March 6, by his ex-stepfather, Gerod Studemire.  They believe he and another suspect put Kelly's body into Studemire's Lincoln Continental. Sometime after that, JSO says the car was burned and then disappeared.  JSO has also arrested Kelly's mother, Stacey Studemire, and one of Kelly's girlfriends, Shaakira Atwater, for accessory after the fact, to murder.  However, JSO says this is still a very active investigation and that they do expect to make more arrests.  They are asking anyone with information to come forward as Kelly's body has not yet been recovered. The vehicle suspected to be involved has also not been recovered at this time.  As for why Kelly was being chased, JSO believes it has something to do with family dynamics. It's believed that Kelly's mother was having domestic issues with Kelly, who had been living with her. JSO believes Kelly's mother called Studemiere to confront Kelly about those issues.
  • A day after President Donald Trump scrapped a planned June 12 summit with Kim Jong Un, the President, White House, and State Department made clear that U.S. officials continue to be open to further contacts with their North Korean counterparts, seeing if there is a way to get talks back on track to rein in the nuclear weapons program of the Pyongyang regime. “We always knew there would be twists and turns leading up to this meeting on June 12,” said State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert. “We never expected it to be easy, so none of this comes as a surprise to us,” Nauert added. On Friday afternoon, officials said that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had spoken by phone with the South Korean Foreign Minister, to discuss what the next steps might be – after the June 12 Trump summit with Kim Jong Un was cancelled. On May 24, @SecPompeo spoke by phone with #ROK Foreign Minister Kang. The Secretary & Foreign Minister reaffirmed their shared commitment to the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula and to the ironclad alliance between the US & the Republic of #Korea. https://t.co/ZsrUNXrf7F — Heather Nauert (@statedeptspox) May 25, 2018 Earlier in the day, the President expressed hope that talks could resume on the effort to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula, as allies of Mr. Trump argued he made the right move in walking away from the summit at this point in time. “I don’t know where we will meet, when we will meet, or even if we will meet…..but I do believe President Trump is going to end the North Korean nuclear program,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC). But as Graham and others acknowledged on Friday, it wasn’t clear whether progress might be made, or how. From both the U.S. side, and the North Korean side, there was no resumption on Friday of some of the more bellicose rhetoric that had marked the long distance relationship between Mr. Trump and Kim Jong Un, as Pyongyang officials said they were open to further talks and the President said he was not giving up. “Everybody plays games,” the President told reporters in talking about the art of negotiation. “We weren’t getting the right signals previously, so hopefully we will in the future,” Nauert told the White House Pool reporter, as President Trump gave the commencement address at the Naval Academy on Friday. “But we didn’t want to go to a meeting just for the sake of going to a meeting,” Nauert added. “There had to be something to come out of it. so we weren’t getting the right signals.”
  • Students at Indiana’s Noblesville West Middle School are hailing a science teacher as a hero for his actions Friday, when a boy opened fire on classmates at the school. >> Read more trending news A teacher, identified by The Indianapolis Star as Jason Seaman, sprung into action after a student asked to use the bathroom Friday morning and returned to the classroom with a pair of handguns, police said. Seventh-grader Ethan Stonebraker told The Associated Press that students were taking a test when the unidentified student walked into the classroom and opened fire. >> Noblesville, Indiana middle school shooting: 2 injured, student in custody “Our science teacher immediately ran at him, swatted a gun out of his hand and tackled him to the ground,” seventh-grader Ethan Stonebraker told The Associated Press. “If it weren’t for him, more of us would have been injured for sure.” The Star reported that Seaman was shot three times and underwent surgery Friday. An unidentified student was also injured, according to police. Jason Seaman’s brother, Jeremy Seaman, told the Star that he was not surprised by reports of his brother’s actions. “He’s not really ever been the person to run away,” Jeremy Seaman told the Star. “When the safety of the kids is at hand, it’s not surprising to me that he was going to do what he had to do.” Jason Seaman has been a teacher in Noblesville for four years, according to his LinkedIn profile. He has also served as head football coach for seventh-graders for two years. Jeremy Seaman told the Star that his brother is married with two young children. Jason Seaman played college football for Southern Illinois from 2007 to 2010, according to ESPN. The team's head coach, Nick Hill, said in a statement Friday that Jason Seaman 'was a great teammate (and) one of the team's hardest workers.'  'You could always trust him to do the right thing,' he said. Jason Seaman continued to recover Friday. Police continue to investigate the shooting.
  • At least three women were injured Friday after an SUV jumped a curb in downtown Portland and struck them before speeding away, according to multiple reports. >> Read more trending news Portland Fire & Rescue officials confirmed authorities were responding to the incident near the intersection of SW 6th Avenue and SW Hall Street around 10:20 a.m. local time. Update 3:55 p.m. EDT: A suspect was in custody Friday after a blue SUV struck at least three women Friday in downtown Portland, KPTV reported. Police earlier asked for help locating the SUV. By 12:45 p.m. local time, authorities said the vehicle had been located. Update 2:25 p.m. EDT: Portland police confirmed that three women were injured Friday in a hit-in-run reported in downtown Portland. Police said the injuries appeared to be serious and two of the women’s injuries appeared to be life-threatening. Authorities said a fourth person might have also been injured but left the scene before police arrived. Officials did not rule out the possibility that the crash could be connected to terrorism, though police said it was too early to tell Friday afternoon. Update 1:53 p.m. EDT: Police described Friday’s crash as a “hit and run,” according to KATU. A witness, who said he was nearly run over, told The Oregonian that it was clear that the driver of the car acted intentionally before Friday’s crash. 'When he got right before me he gunned it,” said the man, who was not identified. He estimated that the vehicle was traveling at about 45 mph when it collided with several other pedestrians. Original report: The Oregonian reported that at least three people were injured, citing an officer at the scene. Matt Ritzi told the newspaper that he was walking to Portland State University when he saw the aftermath of the accident, which left three or four people on the ground. He said he saw more than a dozen people trying to help them. ' I heard a lot of moaning and crying,' he told The Oregonian. 'I didn't see much movement.' Check back for updates to this developing story.

The Latest News Videos