On Air Now

Listen Now


Mostly Sunny
H 75° L 52°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Sunny. H 75° L 52°
  • clear-day
    Mostly Sunny. H 75° L 52°
  • clear-night
    Mostly Clear. H 75° L 52°

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00


The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00


The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Report: DCFS failed to remove boy from home, despite court order weeks before death

Report: DCFS failed to remove boy from home, despite court order weeks before death

DCFS Failed to Remove Boy From Home, Despite Court Order Weeks Before Death

Report: DCFS failed to remove boy from home, despite court order weeks before death

A 4-year-old California boy who reportedly begged not to live with his parents was allowed to remain in their home despite a court order to remove him. Noah Cuatro died weeks later under suspicious circumstances.

His parents, Jose and Ursula Cuatro, are now under investigation in his death, according to the Los Angeles Times.

>> Read more trending news 

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said during a news conference Tuesday that deputies received a call around 4 p.m. on July 5 about a child drowning in a community pool at their apartment complex in Palmdale.

“Paramedics did lifesaving measures, transported the child to Palmdale Regional Center, and the child was ultimately transferred to Children’s Hospital in L.A., where he was subsequently pronounced dead,” Villanueva said.

Noah died early Saturday morning.

Lt. Joe Mendoza, one of the investigators on the case, said that, upon Noah’s arrival at the hospital, trauma was observed on his body that was inconsistent with drowning. The department’s Special Victims Bureau was called in to investigate.

“We’re beginning a very exhaustive, lengthy investigation to find out what happened with the tragic, untimely passing of baby Noah,” Villanueva said.

Noah’s siblings, who family members told KTLA in Los Angeles include an older brother, a 2-year-old sister and a 1-month-old brother, have been taken into protective custody.

Mendoza said investigators were in the process of compiling all of Noah’s records from his involvement with the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services.

County Supervisor Kathryn Barger, who represents Los Angeles County’s 5th Supervisorial District, called Noah’s death heartbreaking.

“I see this as an open criminal investigation and I am eager to see what results (from) the investigation by law enforcement and what appropriate criminal charges may follow,” Barger said. “These and other facts gathered by the county will inform us of our next steps.”

Barger said she and her staff would be monitoring the investigation closely to ensure the transparency and accountability she said Noah deserves.

Watch the news conference with Los Angeles County officials below. 

The Times reported that Noah, at the time of his death, was under active supervision by DCFS workers. The supervision stemmed from at least 13 calls over the years to both the agency’s child abuse hotline and local police officials, all reporting suspected abuse of Noah and his siblings.

Child welfare workers in 2014 substantiated an allegation that Noah’s mother fractured the skull of a female child related to her, the Times said. No criminal charges were ever filed.

Noah was removed from the home in 2016 and remained in foster care for two years before being returned to his parents, the newspaper reported.

“Although reunification of a child with his parents is our ultimate goal when we have foster children, sadly, there are times when reunification is not viable for a variety of reasons,” Barger said.

Noah spent time in multiple foster homes, including Bithiah's House, a residential treatment center for chilren in foster care who also need medical care. Michelle Thompson, a co-founder of the facility, told ABC 7 in Los Angeles she remembers Noah well.

The then-2-year-old boy was malnourished and could not walk when he arrived. By the time he left seven months later, he was thriving, she said.

He was such a joy," Thompson told the news station. "He had this crazy wild brown hair and he was so joyful."

Noah’s great-grandmother, Eva Hernandez, also served as a foster parent for Noah before he was sent back to his parents. Hernandez told KTLA when social workers sought in November to return the boy to his parents, he begged not to go.

“I told the social workers, ‘Please, he doesn’t want to leave. He wants to stay here. He begged me,’” Hernandez, 72, told the news station. “He would hold on to me and say, ‘Don’t send me back, Grandma.’ I don’t know. I couldn’t do anything. I just had to send him back.”

Hernandez said Noah’s parents kept him away from her until about three months ago, when she saw him one last time before he died. She told KTLA she sensed her great-grandson wanted to confide in her but couldn’t because his mother was in the room.

“He would say, ‘Grandma,’ then he would just shut down. I kept saying, ‘What’s wrong? Tell me, baby,’ and he wouldn’t say it,” Hernandez said. “He was not the same little boy anymore. He looked so sad and withdrawn.”

More reports of suspected abuse came after Noah was returned home, the Times reported. A caseworker who saw the boy in February noted that he was lethargic and withdrawn, the newspaper said.

Caseworkers received three additional referrals in March and April. In one instance, Noah was seen at a hospital in Sylmar with bruises on his back, the Times said.

Sources told the newspaper a May 13 call alerted caseworkers that Jose Cuatro had a drinking problem and had been seen kicking his wife and children in public. The caller said Cuatro, when drunk, would express doubt that Noah was his son.

A caseworker filed a request with the court the next day seeking an order to remove Noah from the home. A judge granted the request May 15, the Times reported.

Despite the order, and despite allegations that Noah had been sodomized while in his parents’ care, the boy remained in the home, according to the paper.

Barger, who spoke at the news conference before the Times’ report detailing DCFS’ alleged failings in Noah’s case, declined an interview request after the report was published, the newspaper said.

At Tuesday’s news conference, Barger said Noah’s case, like most that rise to city officials’ attention, was a complex one. She pointed out that she stood before the public last year in a similar situation, in which a child’s life was cut short.

“We are here again. It is a chilling reminder that government alone cannot do this,” Barger said.

She urged everyone, from families to civic leaders, to get involved in the fight to keep children safe.

“Child welfare is a shared responsibility,” Barger said.

KTLA reported that Noah’s death is the third high-profile child death in recent years in the Antelope Valley in which the child died in a home where he had been placed by DCFS. Gabriel Fernandez, 8, was tortured and killed in 2013 in a slaying a judge described as “worse than animalistic, (because) even animals know how to take care of their young,” the news station said.

Gabriel was hospitalized with a fractured skull and broken ribs and had BB pellets in his lung and groin, KTLA reported. He died two days later.

Gabriel’s mother, Pearl Fernandez, has been sentenced to life in prison and her boyfriend, Isauro Aguirre, is on death row.

In the Anthony Avalos case, the 10-year-old’s mother and her boyfriend face capital murder charges in his June 2018 torture and death.

Authorities allege Anthony was starved and then force-fed, had hot sauce poured on his face and mouth, was hit with a cord and belt and was held upside down repeatedly before being dropped on his head, KTLA said.

DCFS Director Bobby Cagle said Wednesday he could not go into detail about Noah’s history with the agency due to privacy restrictions. He did offer his condolences in a statement to the news station.

“We join with the community in expressing our deep sadness over the tragic death of this child,” Cagle said, according to KTLA.

Hernandez told the Times that Noah was a sweet boy with “such character, so much charisma.”

“Anywhere we went, he would stop and talk to people,” Hernandez said. “We would be in the market and he would say, ‘My name is Noah. What’s your name?’”

She lamented the fact that Noah’s own desperate wishes for a safe home were not heeded.

“If they would have taken him out of there, he would still be here,” Hernandez told KTLA.

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • Four people are dead following a dramatic south Florida police chase – involving a hijacked UPS truck – that ended in gunfire, authorities confirmed late Thursday. >> Read more trending news  The incident began shortly after 4 p.m. when Coral Gables police responded to a robbery at a Regent Jewelers store. Coral Gables Police Chief Ed Hudak told USA Today responding officers were met with gunfire from two suspects upon arrival. About 20 minutes after fleeing the scene in a truck, the suspected robbers then hijacked a UPS delivery truck and took its driver hostage, FBI Special Agent in Charge George Piro, the head of the Miami field office, said during a news conference. Pursuing officers chased the stolen vehicle until traffic forced it to stop near a busy intersection during rush hour, USA Today reported. The hail of gunfire that erupted killed four people, including the two suspected robbers, the UPS driver and a bystander who was inside an idle car at the intersection, the Miami Herald reported. Piro said during the news conference it is unclear if bullets fired by police or the hijackers are responsible for the deaths of the UPS driver and the bystander. “It is very, very early on in the investigation and it would be completely inappropriate to discuss that,” Piro said. “We have just began to process the crime scene. As you can imagine, this is going to be a very complicated crime scene.” UPS spokesman David Graves told USA Today the company will cooperate with authorities. “We are deeply saddened to learn a UPS service provider was a victim of this senseless act of violence,” Graves said in a statement, adding, “We extend our condolences to the family and friends of our employee and the other innocent victims involved in this incident.” Read more here or here.
  • This school year students across our area are getting the chance to discuss mental health in class. All Florida school districts had to submit their mental health instruction plans to Tallahassee by Dec. 1.  Action News Jax reached out all nine school districts in Northeast Florida to get a copy of their mental and emotional health instruction plans.  So far, we’ve heard back from four districts.  In Duval County, the school district has designated early release Wednesdays as “Wellness Wednesdays”.  Students from sixth to 12th grade are required to receive instruction on mental health topics.  One teacher, who didn’t want to be identified, said they recently watched a video on bullying followed by class discussion.  In St. Johns County, mental and emotional health education is similar.  Students receive a one-hour group lesson on mental and emotional health topics.  In Nassau County, physical education and English language arts classes are where students get their mental health instruction. Nassau County students from sixth to 12th grade must complete a minimum of five hours each year.  John Peasant said this type of instruction is needed in today’s world.  “I think having a day or so for the kids to kind of decompress on what has happened, or will happen, or probably may happen at any given moment could be a good thing,” he said.  Baker County also got back to Action News Jax, you can find their plan by clicking here.
  • People from around the world travel to our own backyard for cutting-edge medical treatment. Starting next week, patients at UF Health Proton Therapy Institute will have access to the newest and most advanced proton therapy treatment on the market.  Proton therapy is an advanced form of radiation therapy that uses protons rather than traditional X-rays.  Thursday, Action News Jax got a behind-the-scenes tour of the new state-of-the-art cancer treatment technology at the facility.  The new addition is a single-room proton therapy system known as Proteus®ONE. It’s the centerpiece of the facility’s $39 million expansion.  Dr. Danny Indelicato, director of the Pediatric Proton Therapy Program at UF, said the Proteus® ONE uses precise, targeted radiation.  “We can use this device to deliver higher doses of radiation to the tumor and avoid nearby normal organs, hopefully decreasing side effects both short-term and long-term,” Indelicato said.  He said one of the unique features of the room is an ambient package that allows patients to change the color of the lights, music and scenery projected on the wall.  “Allowing them to relax it makes it a lot easier for us to deliver the precision of radiation that this machine is built for,” Indelicato said.  Steven Fitzgerald will be one of the first patients to receive the new treatment.  He’s being treated for craniopharyngioma which is a type of benign tumor.  “It’s currently pressing on my optic nerve behind my eye which has caused a lot of vision loss and vision damage,” Fitzgerald said.  Fitzgerald was diagnosed with a brain tumor the size of a golf ball in 2014.  He underwent several surgeries, but it started to grow again in August.  His father said he’s excited about the advanced system and hopes it will help him live a better life.  Phase 3 of the expansion will begin soon. It involves the installation of a dedicated pencil beam scanning nozzle in one original gantry.  The expansion is expected to be complete in 2021.  The institute will have the ability to treat 25% more patients.
  • A major San Marco development is getting closer to becoming a reality. On Thursday, the developers for a brand-new Publix got approval for several changes they wanted to make to the project.  It goes to show how much excitement surrounds the potential of having the grocery store in the area.  The empty lot between Atlantic Boulevard and Alford Place will eventually be sprawling with activity: first construction, then visitors.  Publix would be the anchor store, but the development will also come with 35 condo units as well as retail shops and restaurants.  The city’s planning and zoning staff recommended approval, but with some conditions involving the size of the signage as well as traffic concerns.  Ultimately, the changes the developers asked for seemed reasonable to the planning commission.  One thing that was tabled was a possible crosswalk.  Councilwoman LeAnna Cumber’s office is studying that portion and will report later to figure out if it’s needed.  Next, the developers will go before the land use and zoning board.
  • The Neptune Beach Police Department is taking steps to proactively prevent package thefts this holiday season. The police department says it's instituting a Holiday Package Receiving Program to ensure residents are able to get their packages safely, without so-called 'porch pirates' stepping in first.  As part of this program, Neptune Beach residents will be able to have their online orders shipped to police headquarters instead of their house.  'This number one priority of our agency is to ensure the safety of life and property for our residents. This is yet one more way we can better serve and protect our beautiful beachside community,' says Chief of Police Richard Pike.  To take part in this program, the police department says the following guidelines apply:   • Be a resident of Neptune Beach • Have your package sent to our Police Headquarters, 200 Lemon St. Neptune Beach, FL 32266 • Present a valid Florida DL/ID card upon picking up your package • Retrieve your package between the hours of 6am to 6pm • The program will run from 12/05/2019 to 12/23/2019 If you have any questions, you can call PIO Commander Michael Key at (904) 242-3435.

The Latest News Videos