ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
66°
Showers
H 67° L 61°
  • cloudy-day
    66°
    Current Conditions
    Showers. H 67° L 61°
  • rain-day
    63°
    Morning
    Showers. H 67° L 61°
  • cloudy-day
    67°
    Afternoon
    Cloudy. H 69° L 54°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

National
Some California fire victims were already living on the edge
Close

Some California fire victims were already living on the edge

Some California fire victims were already living on the edge
Photo Credit: AP Photo/Jonathan J. Cooper
In this Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2018 photo Michael Jones organizes a pile of donated blankets, sleeping bags and clothes in a fairgrounds parking lot that's become home to some of the people displaced by California's deadliest wildfire in Chico, Calif. Jones lost nearly everything he owns when the fire destroyed his trailer and his mom's home in Paradise last month, but he's determined to stay put because he doesn't want to be a burden on his friends and relatives. (AP Photo/Jonathan J. Cooper)

Some California fire victims were already living on the edge

Bob Talk hadn't even transferred the title for his new trailer — the one that was supposed to get him off the streets — when Northern California's deadly wildfire whipped through and turned it to ash. He had lived in the trailer park in Paradise for all of three days.

Talk is now among hundreds of people still in a shelter a month later.

The future is uncertain for all of the fire's victims, but it's uniquely challenging for the many like Talk who were already living on the edge, homeless or nearly so, before escaping with their lives and little else.

"I don't know what I'm going to do," Talk said as he ate fruit and salad in the dining hall of a Red Cross shelter, his dog on his lap. "But I'm not going to leave this town."

Talk, 61, said he had set aside $500 a month from a public assistance check to buy the trailer for $3,500. The plan was to move in with his 39-year-old daughter and host a Christmas party. The extended family would be excited to be off the street. But his daughter was struck and killed by a car while riding her bike Oct. 3.

When the flames swept through Butte County on Nov. 8, killing at least 85 people in the nation's deadliest wildfire in a century, Talk hitched a ride to safety with a sheriff's deputy. He ended up staying in a Walmart parking lot in nearby Chico that became an unofficial shelter, where people with nowhere else to go pitched tents or slept in their cars.

Last week, the final holdouts, including Talk, were sent to the Red Cross shelter at the Silver Dollar Fairgrounds in Chico.

Talk wasn't sure how long he would stay — "Maybe I'll meet my future ex-wife in here," he joked — or what he would do next. But he knows he will be in Chico, where he was born and raised before he started working at carnivals for 40 years.

"I like adventure," he said. "Every time I walk out that door I make an adventure."

The shelter gets him out of the cold and lets him come and go as he pleases. His only complaint: There's a designated area to smoke cigarettes but nowhere to light up marijuana, which is legal in California.

Eighteen percent of the people in Butte County, population 230,000, live in poverty. The median household income is about $47,000 — $20,000 less than the statewide figure.

The Red Cross is consolidating shelters that cropped up across Northern California into one center at the fairgrounds, where about 450 people were staying as of Wednesday night. Red Cross spokesman Stephen Walsh said the agency is working with the local government and nonprofit organizations to find longer-term housing for people, whether they were homeless before the disaster or not.

A snapshot survey found nearly 2,000 homeless people in Butte County on one January night in 2017, the most recent count. That was before the blaze destroyed 14,000 homes.

Michael Jones, 36, was one of the last to leave the Walmart parking lot. His disabled pickup truck was towed to the fairgrounds, where he is now staying and where he had his first shower in two weeks.

Jones had moved to Paradise about seven months ago to help take care of his mother after quitting his job as a millwright in Sacramento.

The tow-behind trailer where he had been living was destroyed in the fire. A lawyer gave him automobile parts, and he is hoping a mechanic will fix the truck for little or nothing. He is looking for work and wants to stay close to Paradise.

Jones said the fire has forced him to get back to the basics in life, and he is excited for the future despite it all.

"Minimalistic living is becoming more popular. This way, I get a head start into that," Jones said. "I feel oddly liberated by this thing."

The Federal Emergency Management Agency estimates there are 2,500 families eligible for a voucher to stay in a hotel, but only about 200 have obtained one, said Kevin Hannes, an agency official. He said he expects interest to rise after people get a chance to see their damaged or destroyed homes.

Steve Wilson, who was homeless in Chico before the disaster, has seen the streets grow more crowded with people like him. Hustling for handouts has gotten tougher because people are giving their money to fire victims instead, he said.

On Tuesday, he said, security guards tried to clear him from the parking lot at an abandoned Toys R Us where he had been staying. They backed off after he complained that they weren't hassling others there who were homeless because of the fire, he said.

There's also been a certain benefit to the outpouring of support for those affected by the fire.

"Before the fire, the homeless around here, you couldn't pitch a tent," Wilson said. "The law enforcement, they didn't want us pitching tents. Then with the fire, they can't find us because we're blending in with them."

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

The Latest News Headlines

  • A 20-year veteran of the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office has been arrested for a third-degree felony count of insurance fraud. Undersheriff Pat Ivey says 48-year-old Corrections Officer Ronnye Smith is accused of reporting his personal vehicle as stolen, in order to profit from insurance. Smith allegedly came up with a scheme in April to work with two people to carry out the fraud. In July, Ivey says the vehicle was seen in Clay County, and their investigation from there determined that Smith was a part of the scheme. In all, Smith allegedly profited less than $20,000 in the fraud. Ivey says Smith chose to resign in the wake of his arrest. The other two people allegedly involved in the fraud scheme are still being investigated. Ivey says it’s a shame that Smith decided to commit conduct like this, but it doesn’t make him sad as Undersheriff, because it’s important to hold all employees accountable, including to what they do in their personal lives.
  • There’s still a long road to recovery, but the JSO Motorman who was critically injured by a suspected drunk driver this weekend has now been transferred to rehab. Officer Jack Adams and his family were driving back from Orlando at the time of the crash on I-95 in St. Johns County. His wife, JSO Bailiff Cathy Adams, died as a result of the crash, and the couple’s two children suffered minor injuries.  Kim Johnston has been arrested for the crash. JSO is thanking Memorial Hospital for their care of Adams, calling his recovery so far “unbelievable”. JSO officers lined the hallway as he was sent off to rehab, to show support.
  • Two New Orleans psychiatrists have found a man who stabbed his brother 93 times before placing his body under a burning mattress in 2013 “irrestorably incompetent” to stand trial and recommended he be committed to a psychiatric hospital.  Ian Broyard, 27, is accused of murder and tampering with evidence in the Nov. 6, 2013, stabbing death of 23-year-old Michael Broyard III, NOLA.com reported. Ian Broyard was 22 at the time of the crime.  Michael Broyard, a tattoo artist, was working on a degree in social work at Southern University at New Orleans. >> Read more trending news The New Orleans Advocate reported in July 2014, when Broyard was indicted, that the brothers had been in several fights prior to the killing. Their sister arrived at the family home in the Gentilly section of New Orleans the morning of the stabbing to see smoke coming from the front door.  Firefighters found Michael Broyard dead inside but there was no sign of Ian Broyard, who had been home shortly before the fire broke out, the Advocate reported. While police officers and firefighters worked the scene, Ian Broyard showed up, with cuts on his forearms and holding his stomach in pain, the newspaper said.  A witness told police he saw a man, who was riding away from the Broyard home on a bicycle, toss something into a trash can nearby. Investigators found a bloodstained vest constructed out of book covers taped together.  The DNA from the blood on the vest matched that of Michael Broyard, the Advocate reported. Other DNA and fingerprints recovered from the vest matched Ian Broyard, NOLA.com said.  NOLA.com reported that Ian Broyard was diagnosed as bipolar and schizophrenic in June 2013, just five months before his brother’s brutal slaying. Broyard’s arrest warrant indicated that he sometimes became violent. Broyard was initially found competent to stand trial in August 2014 but was found incompetent during another hearing almost three years later, the news site said. He was sent to Eastern Louisiana Mental Health System in June 2017 and has been there since.  Two of the members of the court-appointed sanity panel who examined Broyard have found it unlikely that Broyard will ever become competent to stand trial for his brother’s slaying. NOLA.com reported that Dr. Sarah DeLand testified Thursday that Broyard, who suffers from delusions and auditory hallucinations, would be unable to assist his lawyer at trial. Broyard believes that the IRS and the FBI control him and those around him, DeLand said in court. He also believes that the federal agencies could influence his case based on his outstanding student loans.  A judge will decide next week if Broyard will be committed indefinitely, NOLA said.  Investigators said during Broyard’s March 2014 preliminary hearing that it was possible he was connected to a second slaying 10 months before that of his brother. NOLA.com reported that a homicide detective testified at the hearing that Broyard was related to Edward Richardson, an 83-year-old retiree who was found stabbed to death New Year’s Day 2013 in his apartment at a senior living community.  Like Michael Broyard, Richardson was found stabbed an excessive number of times -- more than 50 -- and his body was under a mattress that had been set on fire, NOLA.com reported in 2014. No physical evidence linked Ian Broyard to the scene.  WDSU in New Orleans reported in 2015 that cold case investigators were still seeking leads in the unsolved case. 
  • Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, rumored to be President Donald Trump’s top pick to fill the chief of staff role once John Kelly exits later this year, said Friday that he’s asked Trump not to consider him for the post. >> Read more trending news 'It's an honor to have the President consider me as he looks to choose a new White House chief-of-staff,' Christie said Friday in a statement first obtained by The New York Times. 'However, I've told the President that now is not the right time for me or my family to undertake this serious assignment. As a result, I have asked him to no longer keep me in any of his considerations for this post.' Christie’s comments came one day after he met with Trump to discuss the position, CNN reported, citing a pair of sources familiar with the discussion. No job offer was made Thursday, according to CNN. Trump announced Dec. 8 that Kelly, a retired U.S. Marine Corps general who served as Trump's Homeland Security secretary before becoming his chief of staff in July 2017, will leave at the end of the year.  >> Trump: John Kelly to leave by end of year Christie is one of several people to reportedly discuss the imminent chief of staff vacancy with Trump in recent days. On Wednesday, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said House Freedom Caucus Chair Rep. Mark Meadows, R-North Carolina, was no longer in the running for the position, Politico reported. “Congressman Mark Meadows is a great friend to President Trump and is doing an incredible job in Congress,” Huckabee Sanders said in a statement obtained by Politico. “The President told him we need him in Congress, so he can continue the great work he is doing there.” Vice President Mike Pence's chief of staff, Nick Ayers, had long been rumored to be Trump’s top pick for the job, but he declined to fill the role earlier this month. Ayers, 36, and Trump were unable to agree on a time frame for the job, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported, with Ayers unwilling to commit to the role deep into next year. >> Mike Pence’s top aid Nick Ayers won’t replace John Kelly as Trump’s Chief of Staff White House spokesman Hogan Gidley told reporters Friday that, while Kelly is slated to leave at the end of the year, “if the president and the chief of staff make another deal and extend it, they can do that,” the New York Post reported. “It’s their prerogative to do so,” Gidley said. “Right now, currently, John Kelly is expected to leave at the first of the year.”
  • A 7-year-old Guatemalan girl taken into custody by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents last week died two days later of dehydration and septic shock, putting further scrutiny on the conditions of detention facilities at the border.  The girl and her father were taken into custody around 10 p.m. Dec. 6, accused of illegally crossing into the United States, Border Patrol officials told The Washington Post. The group of 163 people approached CBP agents south of Lordsburg, New Mexico, to turn themselves in.  The Associated Press reported that an official with Guatemala’s foreign ministry identified the girl as Jackeline Caal. Her father was identified as Nery Caal, 29, of Raxruha, a town in the northern Guatemalan department of Alta Verapaz.  Ministry officials told the AP that Jackeline was feverish and vomiting as she and the other migrants were being taken to the Border Patrol station in Lordsburg.  Around 6:25 a.m. the next day, the girl began having seizures, according to CBP records obtained by the Post. Paramedics who responded to the detention center found her temperature to be 105.7 degrees.  The girl reportedly had not eaten or had water in several days, the Post said. Migrants taken into custody are typically given food and water, but it was not known Thursday if the girl had received nourishment or medical care before her seizures began.  She was taken by helicopter to Providence Children’s Hospital in El Paso, where she went into cardiac arrest, but was revived temporarily. The girl died Saturday morning, less than 24 hours after being taken to the hospital.  The Post reported that an initial diagnosis by doctors at the hospital indicated the girl died of septic shock, dehydration and a high fever. An autopsy is scheduled, but it could be weeks before the results are available.  Jackeline’s father remains in custody. Andrew Meehan, a CBP spokesman, told the newspaper that the agency sends its “sincerest condolences” to the girl’s family.  “Border Patrol agents took every possible step to save the child’s life under the most trying of circumstances,” Meehan said. “As fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, we empathize with the loss of any child.” The ACLU Border Rights Center issued a statement Thursday, stating that a lack of accountability and a “culture of cruelty” within the Border Patrol have worsened policies and led to migrant deaths.  “This tragedy represents the worst possible outcome when people, including children, are held in inhumane conditions,” the statement read.  The organization said that President Donald Trump’s militarization of the border has driven desperate migrants fleeing violence in their native countries into the harshest, deadliest deserts along the U.S.-Mexico border.  “The fact that it took a week for this to come to light shows the need for transparency for CBP,” the statement read. “We call for a rigorous investigation into how this tragedy happened and serious reforms to prevent future deaths.” The Post reported that the number of arrests of migrants traveling as families has exploded this year. November saw a record number of “family unit members” -- 25,172, which accounted for 58 percent of the migrants taken into custody last month.  Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Kevin McAleenan testified Tuesday before the Senate about the holding cells used to house migrants. McAleenan called the cells “incompatible” with the large groups of families coming to the border seeking asylum.  “Our Border Patrol stations were built decades ago to handle mostly male single adults in custody, not families and children,” McAleenan testified, according to the Post. 

The Latest News Videos