ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. - A man said his fiancee put eye drops into his soft drink Saturday at their Rowan County home.
The man told authorities he confronted his fiancee, Jaymee Cruz, after he said he watched her put the drops in his Coca-Cola. He then locked himself and their baby in the bathroom and called 911.
Deputies said when they arrived at the scene, Cruz at first denied putting eye drops in the drink, but later said she did it to make the man sick.
Cruz said she got the idea from the movie "Wedding Crashers" and did it because she wanted to move out of the home with their daughter, authorities said.
Consuming eye drops is extremely dangerous and can be deadly. The main ingredient reduces redness in the eyes, but when ingested it can rapidly reach the blood and central nervous systems.
It's not the first time a person has been accused of using eye drops to poison their significant other. Last year, York County investigators charged Lana Clayton in her husband’s death after she said she put eye drops in his water, WSOC-TV reported.
Stephen Clayton’s toxicology report showed he had poisonous levels of the key ingredient in eye drops.