ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
79°
Partly Cloudy
H 91° L 79°
  • cloudy-day
    79°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 79°
  • cloudy-day
    86°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 79°
  • cloudy-day
    88°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 79°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

World
Catalan separatists defend actions at end of Spanish trial
Close

Catalan separatists defend actions at end of Spanish trial

Catalan separatists defend actions at end of Spanish trial
Photo Credit: AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti
Pro independence demonstrator hold banners reading in Catalan "absolution" during a protest in downtown Barcelona, Spain, Wednesday, June 12, 2019. Catalan separatist leaders and activists told their Supreme Court trial on Wednesday they were exercising their democratic rights when they held a banned referendum on breaking away from Spain, denying charges of rebellion and sedition. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti)

Catalan separatists defend actions at end of Spanish trial

A rebellion and sedition trial resulting from a push to take the Catalonia region out of Spain wrapped up Wednesday with prosecuted leaders arguing they exercised their democratic rights by holding a banned independence referendum.

The dozen ex-officials and activists on trial, who hope to avoid prison sentences, told the Spanish Supreme Court in Madrid that long-running secession efforts in Catalonia were part of a political conflict with national authorities and didn't belong in a courtroom.

"Casting a vote cannot be considered a crime," former Catalan vice president Oriol Junqueras said in his final statement, adding that the 2017 secession bid for which he was charged had been non-violent.

"The best for everyone would be to place this issue back in the sphere of politics ... which it never should have left," Junqueras said as four months of hearings in the high-profile case drew to a close.

A decision in the case is expected in several months.

Catalonia's independence push triggered Spain's worst constitutional crisis in decades as the Spanish government dissolved Catalonia's regional parliament, removed the region's government from office and transferred their duties to Madrid.

The defendants have become a potent symbol for the Catalan independence movement, and the trial's outcome could set the tone for Spanish politics for years to come.

State prosecutors are seeking a 25-year sentence for Junqueras for rebellion, which under Spanish law requires proving that violence was used to disrupt the country's constitutional order.

Prosecutors accuse the defendants of trying to stage a coup. Most defense lawyers argued their clients were, at the most, guilty of disobedience, which could mean fines and a possible ban from holding public office.

The Constitutional Court outlawed the October 2017 ballot, which Junqueras and the other defendants played a part in organizing. It said Spain's constitution doesn't allow one of its regions to break away.

Other prominent secessionists in the trial are the former speaker of Catalonia's regional parliament, Carme Forcadell, activist-turned-politician Jordi Sánchez and activist Jordi Cuixart.

Cuixart said the defendants are political prisoners.

"What we are seeing here is democracy on trial," he said.

He urged Catalans to keep up their peaceful demonstrations. "We won't stop protesting," he said. "It's the engine that moves society forward."

The defendants' pre-trial jailing for more than 18 months angered many. The court said they represented a flight risk because former Catalan regional president Carles Puigdemont and others fled from Spain and have successfully fought extradition.

Hundreds of people sat outside in the sun in Barcelona watching the proceedings live on a huge screen. Independence supporters were scheduled to hold protests across Catalonia later Wednesday, including one attended by leading Catalan politicians in a central Barcelona square.

"You don't hold the solution to a problem which has dropped into your lap," Sánchez told the court in an at times emotional speech as he sat on a chair facing the panel of judges.

"The legal system can't solve a political problem, but you have a duty not to worsen the political crisis," he said. "I wouldn't like to be in your shoes."

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • A California police officer has died after a shooting in Sacramento, multiple news outlets reported early Thursday. According to The Associated Press, Sacramento police Officer Tara O'Sullivan, 26, was shot about 6 p.m. Wednesday when a gunman opened fire during a domestic dispute call involving a man and a woman. O'Sullvian, who was seriously injured, was taken to a nearby hospital and later died, authorities said. >> Read more trending news Police said O'Sullivan, who was in training, had been helping the woman gather her things from a Redwood Avenue home when the shots rang out.  Hours later, the gunman was still firing shots. As of late Wednesday, officers were unable to contact him, the AP reported. Residents of the neighborhood have been evacuated to a nearby elementary school, KTXL reported. Early Thursday, the Police Department tweeted that officers are 'devastated' about O'Sullivan's death. 'Our hearts are with Tara's family, whose pain can hardly be imagined,' the department tweeted. 'Please hold her family in your thoughts and prayers.' Read more here or here. – The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • The smell of smoke and the sounds of fire alarms are still in the air in Mandarin early Thursday morning after smoke from an a/c duct prompted 32 residents to be moved from their homes at The Terrace of Jacksonville senior living facility. A representative from the facility says no one was injured in the incident on Old St. Augustine Road near Hood Road and they are currently in the process of returning residents back into their rooms.  The representative says Jacksonville Fire Rescue has checked air quality and everything is safe for the people who live at the facility.   
  • Months after an armed home invasion robbery in Fernandina Beach that injured two people, investigators say they've now arrested a third suspect in connection. The Fernandina Beach Police Department has announced the arrest of 24-year-old Cedrice Brown. They say he was taken into custody early Wednesday morning, not far from the University of North Carolina.  Police tell us when he was arrested he was in possession of two stolen guns and booked on various North Carolina charges. A hold has been placed on Brown to have him extradited to Florida, where he faces armed robbery and armed burglary charges.  Police say since the December 22, 2018, incident at a home on Manatee Avenue, they've determined that the robbery was pre-planned due to one of the suspects involved having knowledge of where certain items were.  At the time of the robbery, police 15 people were inside. The victims reported seeing several suspects wearing masks and carrying various weapons, rifles, handguns and knives.  Two people were injured during the robbery, after being hit in the head with guns.  WOKV told you that one suspect was arrested while attempting to flee. A second suspect was arrested at a later time.  Police say they're continuing to work on identifying the remaining suspects, who they believe are from outside the Nassau County-area.
  • Authorities arrested an 11th person Tuesday in connection with the ambush shooting last week of former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic. >> Read more trending news  In a press briefing Wednesday evening, the Dominican Republic’s lead prosecutor said that Ortiz was not the target of a shooting.  Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez said the target was another man, dressed similarly to Ortiz, who was seated next to him the night of June 9. Rodríguez said the shooting was orchestrated by a member of Mexico’s Gulf Cartel, who remains on the run. He did not immediately describe a motive. An unidentified official told The Associated Press that Franklin Junior Merán was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of renting one of the cars used in the June 9 shooting in Santo Domingo. Ten other suspects have already been ordered to spend a year in preventive detention as the investigation continues, including the accused shooter. Authorities say they are looking for at least three other suspects, including the man they believe paid the hit men. Ortiz continued recovering Wednesday in the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. Ortiz’s wife, Tiffany Ortiz, said doctors upgraded Ortiz’s condition to good Tuesday. “We remain grateful to everyone who has helped David through this ordeal, both in the Dominican Republic and here in Boston,” Tiffany Ortiz said in a statement released by the Red Sox. “David’s journey to good health has been bolstered by the many expressions of love that have come to us from across the globe. Your support has lifted his spirits tremendously during this challenging time.” Authorities continue to investigate. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • A man said his fiancee put eye drops into his soft drink Saturday at their Rowan County home. >> Read more trending news  The man told authorities he confronted his fiancee, Jaymee Cruz, after he said he watched her put the drops in his Coca-Cola. He then locked himself and their baby in the bathroom and called 911. Deputies said when they arrived at the scene, Cruz at first denied putting eye drops in the drink, but later said she did it to make the man sick. Cruz said she got the idea from the movie 'Wedding Crashers' and did it because she wanted to move out of the home with their daughter, authorities said. Consuming eye drops is extremely dangerous and can be deadly. The main ingredient reduces redness in the eyes, but when ingested it can rapidly reach the blood and central nervous systems. It's not the first time a person has been accused of using eye drops to poison their significant other. Last year, York County investigators charged Lana Clayton in her husband’s death after she said she put eye drops in his water, WSOC-TV reported. Stephen Clayton’s toxicology report showed he had poisonous levels of the key ingredient in eye drops.

The Latest News Videos