On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

cloudy-day
59°
Showers
H 59° L 57°
  • cloudy-day
    59°
    Current Conditions
    Showers. H 59° L 57°
  • rain-day
    66°
    Afternoon
    Showers. H 59° L 57°
  • rain-day
    64°
    Evening
    Showers. H 66° L 63°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

World
Domingo’s accusers: Nothing ‘chivalrous’ about groping women
Close

Domingo’s accusers: Nothing ‘chivalrous’ about groping women

Domingo’s accusers: Nothing ‘chivalrous’ about groping women
Photo Credit: AP Photo/Bernat Armangue, File
FILE - In this July 12, 2019, file photo, opera singer Placido Domingo speaks during a news conference about his upcoming show "Giovanna d'Arco" in Madrid, Spain. Two opera singers who have accused Domingo of sexual misconduct reacted angrily to his claims in recent interviews that he never behaved improperly and always acted gallantly and like a gentleman with women. Angela Turner Wilson and Patricia Wulf issued a statement Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2019, saying they found Domingo's comments and his "continued failure to take responsibility for wrongdoing" to be disappointing and deeply disturbing. (AP Photo/Bernat Armangue, File)

Domingo’s accusers: Nothing ‘chivalrous’ about groping women

Two opera singers who accused Placido Domingo of sexual misconduct said Tuesday that it was disappointing and disturbing that the opera legend recently claimed he has always behaved like a gentleman and never acted improperly toward women.

Angela Turner Wilson and Patricia Wulf were among more than 20 women who accused Domingo of sexual harassment or inappropriate sexually charged behavior in two Associated Press reports this summer.

Their new statement came in response to comments Domingo made in two recent interviews with European publications, in which he disputed the allegations against him and said he never abused his power. He said he always behaved like a gentleman but that “gallant gestures are viewed differently nowadays.”

“There is nothing ‘chivalrous’ or ‘gallant’ about groping a woman in the workplace, in any country or era,” Wilson and Wulf said in the statement issued through their attorney, Debra Katz.

The Grammy Award-winning singer is one of the most celebrated men in the opera world and regarded as one of the greatest opera singers of all time. The long-married, Spanish-born star also is a prolific conductor and longtime administrator, having served as the general director of both the Los Angeles Opera and Washington Opera.

In the AP stories, several singers, a dancer and backstage staff at opera companies accused Domingo of sexual harassment and other inappropriate, sexually charged behavior that included unwelcomed kisses, touching and late-night phone calls.

Many said Domingo tried to pressure them into sexual relationships and sometimes punished them professionally if they rejected him. The accusers and dozens of others interviewed said Domingo’s behavior was an open secret in the opera world.

Until recently, the 78-year-old had not spoken publicly about the allegations and had limited his reaction to statements from his lawyer and publicist. He had called the accusations “in many ways, simply incorrect” without elaborating.

Last week, Domingo gave an interview to Spanish online newspaper El Confidencial in which he again stopped short of flatly denying the women’s allegations but insisted he had never behaved improperly. He added that Spaniards are by nature “warm, affectionate and loving.

“I have been gallant but always within the limits of gentlemanliness, respect and sensitivity,” he said.

Domingo also spoke to Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera, denying he abused his power and saying casting decisions were not made by him but by “a team of four or five people.” He said that “very offensive things were said about me as a human being.”

Turner and Wulf’s statement said Domingo’s “continued failure to take responsibility for wrongdoing or to express any remorse is extremely disappointing and deeply disturbing.”

“He did not behave like a gentleman when he repeatedly propositioned women for sex in the workplace ... and when he groped them and kissed them over their objections,” the statement said. “He did not behave respectfully when he offered to assist with the careers of aspiring female opera singers if they came to his apartment and had sex with him.”

The most serious allegation lodged against Domingo came from Turner, a soprano, who told the AP that he forcefully grabbed her breast in a makeup room at the Washington Opera in 1999 after she rejected his advances for weeks.

Wulf, a mezzo soprano, said Domingo persistently propositioned and harassed her during performances at the Washington Opera in 1998, when he was general director.

Another singer said when she worked with Domingo at the Los Angeles Opera in the mid-2000s, he stuck his hand down her skirt after asking her to sing for him at his apartment. Others said he forced wet kisses on their lips.

U.S. opera houses canceled Domingo’s upcoming performances following the accusations, and he resigned from the LA Opera, where he had been general director since 2003. It’s investigating the allegations.

European theaters have supported Domingo and maintained his appearances.

“It is deeply upsetting and unfair that Mr. Domingo can retreat to another world without having to come to terms with what he has done to many, many women here,” Wulf said.

The women’s statement said Domingo’s comments show an attempt to absolve his misconduct by blaming cultural differences and changing rules and standards.

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • With the holiday season well underway, WOKV's Consumer Warrior Clark Howard is breaking down who to tip and how much. Howard says if you're looking to tip delivery men and women, there are a number of rules surrounding that.  'UPS drivers are allowed to accept a very small amount of money. Letter carriers are not allowed to accept cash. They're not allowed to accept cash equivalents, would mean like a gift card. But you can give them something that costs you no more than $20,' says Howard.  He says Fed Ex workers, meanwhile, can accept gifts of up to $75.  He says can also consider tipping people like your handyman, your trash pick-up team, teachers, babysitters, and more.  But Howard says tipping is a very personal decision. You can find his full guide to 2019 holiday tipping by clicking HERE.
  • Children in Atlantic Beach now have a safer route to school. The Jacksonville Transportation Authority unveiled a brand-new 8-foot multi-use path and sidewalk along Sherry Rd.  The sidewalk stretches 1.4 miles, from Ahern to 17th Streets.  The Florida Department of Transportation funded the nearly $700,000 project.  It’s part of JTA’s Safe Routes to Schools program to help combat pedestrian and bicycle safety challenges in Jacksonville.  Brentwood Elementary School, Livingston Elementary and Butler Middle School will also get new sidewalks.
  • Tim Forson, the Superintendent of Schools in St. Johns County, sent a letter to parents about new lesson requirements. Beginning this year, a letter dated Dec. 3, 2019, states middle and high school students are now required to receive five hours of instruction on substance use and abuse, child trafficking prevention and awareness and mental and emotional health education because of three state board rules.  This means St. Johns -- and all school districts in Florida -- have to add these topics to their curriculum.  Forson wrote that 6th through 12th grade students will have their schedules modified for five days during the second semester to complete the requirement.  The instructional materials selected by the school district is said to be age appropriate.  “These are important topics that will help our students have the knowledge and ability to act when faced with difficult situations. I believe this instruction will be extremely beneficial for your children and/or reinforce what is taught at home,” Forson said in the letter.  For more information, click here.
  • Action News Jax has learned Baker County’s sheriff fired a sergeant after he reportedly violated several standards of conduct. The sheriff’s office said an allegation of misconduct was made against Sgt. Randy Davis on Nov. 22.  Sheriff Scotty Rhoden put Davis on administrative leave as the sheriff’s office investigated the claim.  On Wednesday, Action News Jax confirmed Davis was fired for violating several employment standards of conduct, according to the sheriff’s office. His termination letter is dated Dec. 4.  Action News Jax got a statement from Sheriff Rhoden that said Davis is also under a criminal investigation. Action News Jax is working to learn what that investigation entails.  Sheriff Rhoden’s full statement:  'The Baker County Sheriff’s Office is committed to the consistent pursuit of justice without favoritism or prejudice. Sergeant Davis is currently under criminal investigation which prohibits me from releasing details of the report until the investigation is complete.  As Sheriff, I remain committed to leading a department with high moral standards and strong character. Whether criminal or not, any misconduct by an employee will always be handled immediately and without favoritism. Deputies of the Baker County Sheriff’s Office are expected to be leaders in our community and role models to our youth. As long as I’m Sheriff, we will not tolerate any breach in our shared values and mission as a department.
  • Just days after the Nassau County Sheriff's Office arrested four suspects connected to an armed robbery at Tracks Arcade in Yulee, deputies say two of those individuals are now being charged in connection with a recent armed robbery at the Beach House Arcade. Deputies say Josiah Smith, 20, and Ebony Hixon. 29, are both being charged with robbery with a firearm and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.  Investigators say the robbery at the Beach House Arcade on US Highway 17 in Yulee happened around 2 PM on December 6th, with two men wearing masks entering the business and ordering everyone to the floor. Deputies say an employee was then forced to empty the cash register, with the suspects fleeing shortly after. Deputies believe that Hixon served as the getaway driver in this robbery. Deputies say more arrests are likely. At this time, Smith and Hixon remain in the Nassau County Jail.

The Latest News Videos