On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

cloudy-day
77°
Partly Cloudy
H 88° L 73°
  • cloudy-day
    77°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 88° L 73°
  • cloudy-day
    81°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 88° L 73°
  • cloudy-day
    74°
    Morning
    Mostly Cloudy. H 84° L 74°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

World
US to hand over to Iraq IS members evacuated from Syria
Close

US to hand over to Iraq IS members evacuated from Syria

US to hand over to Iraq IS members evacuated from Syria
Photo Credit: AP Photo/Hussein Malla, File
FILE - In this March 30, 2019, file photo, Alexanda Amon Kotey, left, and El Shafee Elsheikh, who were allegedly among four British jihadis who made up a brutal Islamic State cell dubbed "The Beatles," speak during an interview with The Associated Press at a security center in Kobani, Syria, Friday, March 30, 2018. The men said that their home country's revoking of their citizenship denies them a fair trial. "The Beatles" terror cell is believed to have captured, tortured and killed hostages including American, British and Japanese journalists and aid workers. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla, File)

US to hand over to Iraq IS members evacuated from Syria

The U.S. will hand over to Iraqi authorities nearly 50 Islamic State members who were transferred from Syria in recent days, two Iraqi intelligence officials said Thursday.

The officials said the IS members were expected to be handed over by Friday. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media.

The move comes after Turkey began a military offensive into northern Syria against U.S.-backed Kurdish-led fighters of the Syrian Democratic Forces who are holding more than 10,000 IS members. Those include some 2,000 foreigners, including about 800 Europeans.

It wasn't immediately clear why the 50 IS fighters would be transferred to Iraq, but the group's self-declared caliphate once sprawled across a large part of both Iraq and Syria. Since the IS was defeated earlier this year, Iraq has held IS captives in secure prisons and tried IS militants in court, including some French foreign nationals.

Before the Turkish assault began, there were already fears that Kurdish-led forces could divert forces from guarding IS prisoners or might not be able to secure them at a time when IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi made a point of calling on followers to free captured fighters. There are over two dozen detention facilities in northeastern Syria.

After the Turkish offensive began, concerns that some facilities may be struck in the fighting or abandoned by guards heightened fears the prisoners would not remain secured.

President Donald Trump said Wednesday that some of the "most dangerous" IS members had been moved, but he provided no details. Trump said before the assault began that Turkey would be responsible for all IS fighters in the area, though it wasn't clear how that would be implemented.

U.S. officials said Wednesday that two British militants believed to be part of an IS group that beheaded hostages and was known as "The Beatles" were moved out of a detention center in Syria and taken into U.S. custody. It wasn't clear whether they were among the 50 prisoners the Iraqi intelligence officials said were being transferred to Iraq.

The two men, El Shafee Elsheikh and Alexanda Amon Kotey, along with other British jihadis, allegedly made up the IS cell nicknamed "The Beatles" by surviving captives because of their English accents.

Attorney General William Barr approached Trump in recent weeks and said the government needed to make extracting "The Beatles" from the Syrian detention center a priority for the U.S. military, an administration official told The Associated Press. The president then put a plan in place to ensure the extraction, the official said.

Barr wants to bring the two men back to the U.S. to face prosecution, the official said. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss private conversations.

In 2014 and 2015, the militants held more than 20 Western hostages in Syria and tortured many of them. The group beheaded seven American, British and Japanese journalists and aid workers and a group of Syrian soldiers, boasting of the butchery in videos released to the world.

Among the journalists they killed was American James Foley, who was first, followed by fellow Americans Steven Sotloff and Peter Kassig, British aid workers David Haines and Alan Henning and Japanese journalists Haruna Yukawa and Kenji Goto. The beheadings, often carried out on camera, horrified the world soon after IS took over much of Iraq and Syria in 2014.

The two British men were captured in January last year in eastern Syria by the Kurdish forces amid the collapse of IS. Their detention set off a debate in the U.S. and Europe over how to prosecute their citizens who joined IS.

IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi declared a so-called caliphate in 2014 in large parts of Syria and Iraq that the extremists controlled. IS was defeated in Iraq in 2017 and in March the SDF captured the last sliver of land that was held by IS.

SDF has handed over hundreds of IS fighters to Iraqi authorities over the past two years, including Europeans while some were repatriated to their home countries.

Earlier this year, Iraq tried 12 French IS fighters whom the SDF handed over to Baghdad in January sentencing most of them to death.

France at the time said the Iraqi court has jurisdiction to rule in the cases, though a spokeswoman reiterated the French governments opposition to the death penalty.

Trump and other U.S. officials have repeatedly pressed other nations across Europe and the Middle East to take back the detainees from their countries. But international leaders have been largely reluctant and have been slow to take any back.

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • The next Democratic debate – the party's fourth one – will be held on Tuesday in Ohio, and will feature the 12 candidates who qualified for the event. >> Read more trending news  Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii, had threatened to cut the crowd on the stage by one as she complained that the corporate news media and the Democratic National Committee were rigging the event. Gabbard tweeted last week that 'The DNC and corporate media are trying to hijack the entire election process,' Gabbard said in a video posted on Twitter. 'In order to bring attention to this serious threat to our democracy, and ensure your voice is heard, I am giving serious consideration to boycotting the next debate on October 15th.' On Gabbard's website, she referred to the allegations that the DNC rigged the 2016 primary process in favor of former Sec.of State Hillary Clinton over Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vermont. On Monday, she told her supporters in an email that she would be going to Ohio for the debate. 'I just want to let you know that I will be attending the debate,' she wrote. Here's what we know about Tuesday's debate: Who is in? These 12 candidates have qualified for the October debate so far: Former Vice President Joe Biden Sen. Cory Booker, of New Jersey  South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg  Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, of Hawaii Former Housing Secretary Julián Castro  Sen. Kamala Harris, of California  Sen. Amy Klobuchar, of Minnesota  Former Rep. Beto O'Rourke, of Texas  Sen. Bernie Sanders, of Vermont  Philanthropist and former hedge fund manager Tom Steyer Sen. Elizabeth Warren, of Massachusetts  Entrepreneur Andrew Yang  Where will they stand? The candidates will stand in order of the average of their 10 most recent qualifying polls as of Oct. 2. The order is from left to right: Gabbard, Steyer, Booker, Harris, Sanders, Biden, Warren, Buttigieg, Yang, O'Rourke, Klobuchar, Castro. What were the criteria for candidates to qualify? According to the DNC, to qualify for the debate in October, candidates must have 2% in four qualifying polls and at least 130,000 individual donors with at least 400 donors per state in at least 20 states. Campaigns had until 11:59 p.m. EDT on Oct. 1 to meet the donor and polling thresholds to be included. When and where is the debate being held? The debate is set for Tuesday at Otterbein University in Westerville, Ohio. All 12 candidates will appear on stage on Tuesday. There will be no second night of the debate. At the beginning of the process, the DNC said that only 10 candidates would take the stage at a time. Who will be asking the questions? CNN and The New York Times are the hosts for the debate. CNN's Anderson Cooper and Erin Burnett and Times national editor Marc Lacey will be asking the questions. How can I watch/listen to the debate? According to CNN: The debate will air exclusively on CNN, CNN International, CNN en Español, and stream on the CNN homepage and the New York Times homepage. In addition, the debate will be available across mobile devices via CNN's and New York Times' apps for iOS and Android, via CNNgo apps for Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire, Chromecast and Android TV, SiriusXM Channels 116, 454, 795, the Westwood One Radio Network and National Public Radio. Live coverage will be provided here beginning at 6:30 p.m. ET. What time is it on? The debate will begin at 8 p.m. ET. What about future debates? The next debate will be held in November, and the qualifications have become stricter.  To be included in the November debate, candidates must demonstrate they have 165,000 unique donors, and must either score 3 percent in at least four national or state polls approved by the party or by receiving at least 5 percent in two approved single-state polls from Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire or South Carolina. [Summary]
  • A 13-month-old Georgia girl is recovering after a man in a fit of rage over a fender-bender fired at a car and shot her in the hand last week, the child's mother said.  >> Read more trending news  Raylah was in her car seat Oct. 6 when her mother's friend got in a minor accident while the toddler was in the back seat. The man whose car she hit started shooting, injuring Raylah, police said. Police said they're still looking for the shooter.  WSB-TV's Christian Jennings talked to the toddler's mother about what led to the shooting. For their safety, she requested that Jennings only use her and her daughter's first names.  Natika told Jennings that her friend was driving that afternoon. When they got in the area of Fletcher and Ira streets, her friend accidentally hit an SUV.  'The mirror fell out of it, and I'm, like, 'You just hit someone's car,'' Natika said.  Natika said a man in a nearby house came running outside with a gun and demanded money. 'He's, like, 'That's going to be $300.' My friend is, like, 'I'm not going to be able to give you $300. Can we exchange insurance information?'' Things escalated from there, she said. 'He was getting irate, and I asked him before everything was over, I was like, 'Don't shoot.' Because I saw him clutching for his gun in his satchel,' Natika said. 'I said, 'Don't shoot, my baby's in the car.' Her pleas didn't work: Police said the man started firing.  'All I could hear was gunshots coming from everywhere,' Natika said.  She said she quickly realized her baby had been shot.  'My baby's full of blood, so I don't know if she's hit in the chest, but she's still not crying, so I didn't know if she was alive,' Natika said.  Raylah had been shot in the hand, her mother said. The child's finger was broken. Natika and her friend headed for the hospital, but didn't make it, she said.  'She feels the tires going out, because at this point the tires are shot out,' Natika said. 'It took us right off Fulton Street and it completely stopped as we were getting out. It actually caught fire.' Natika said they flagged down another driver and finally made it to a hospital.  Raylah is going to fully recover from her injuries.  Natika said the man who shot her daughter doesn't deserve to be out on the streets.  'I hope and pray he can at least turn himself in, or the police can do their job, stay on top of it and find him, because he clearly is a ticking time bomb,' Natika said.  Police have not released a description of the suspect but said they do have leads. 
  • Authorities said a Florida man stole more than $10,000 from customers while working as a server at several restaurants in Brevard County. >> Read more trending news  The Brevard County Sheriff's Office said Kevin Harris stole 25 customers' credit cards by taking photos of the card's numbers when he processed their bills. Deputies said he used the credit cards to make online purchases exceeding $10,000. The Sheriff's Office said Harris also would use the credit card numbers to purchase gift cards to pay the bills of customers who paid in cash. Investigators said Harris also stole from 10 retail businesses in Brevard County. They said he would take the stolen items to local pawn shops to pawn the items for cash, making more than $6,000. Harris was arrested and taken to the Brevard County Jail, where he is held on no bail status.
  • A woman who shot and killed a popular street performer outside the H.E. Holmes MARTA station three years ago is headed to prison.  >> Read more trending news  Lucianna Fox, 44, fatally shot 54-year-old Leroy Midyette in Nov. 5, 2016, after running over the homeless man’s shopping cart twice. Midyette, who performed outside the train station, was affectionately known as “Tin Man” because of the silver paint he wore when he danced, the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office said Friday in a news release. The night of the shooting, Fox got mad at Midyette as he pushed his belongings across an access road that led into the parking lot of the Holmes station, authorities said. Fox told him to move his cart out of the road and Midyette motioned for the woman to drive around.Instead, Fox slammed into Midyette’s cart, threw her car in reverse and rammed it again before driving off. Upset, Midyette ran toward Fox’s car as she waited at a nearby stop sign and confronted her. Fox then got out of her car, drew a silver handgun and shot the homeless man in the chest from about 2 feet away, prosecutors said. She then set her weapon on the hood of her car and waited for police to arrive as Midyette died in the street. The entire incident was captured on MARTA’s surveillance cameras, and Fox was arrested at the scene, authorities said. She was convicted of murder and possessing a firearm during the commission of a felony and sentenced to life in prison plus five years. 
  • Court documents filed against an Indianapolis man accused of violently assaulting his mother with a cast iron frying pan last month give gruesome details of how badly the woman was beaten. Bobby Wayne Gibson Jr., 44, is charged with attempted murder, aggravated battery, battery resulting in serious bodily injury, strangulation and auto theft, according to Marion County court records. A judge last week ordered him held in lieu of a $90,000 surety bond. Gibson was also ordered to stay away from his mother, for whom an order of protection was granted, court records show. >> Read more trending news  Gibson was arrested Sept. 25 after an anonymous tip led police to a vacant home, where he told officers his mother had given him her car, a silver Chevy Malibu, to sell for drugs, WRTV in Indianapolis reported. Fox 59 reported that a SWAT standoff earlier in the day, which included tear gas and flash grenades, had failed to turn up the fugitive. Gibson had been on the run since the day before, when police officers went to his mother’s home and found her unresponsive and covered in blood, according to a probable cause affidavit obtained by WRTV. The woman was taken to the hospital in critical condition. According to the affidavit, her injuries included “multiple skull and facial fractures, three lacerations in the head that penetrated to the skull, exposed brain matter due to a hole in the skull, four deep lacerations to the chest and a collapsed lung.” Her condition was not immediately available Friday afternoon. Detectives who went to her home found blood spattered throughout the kitchen and living room, along with “broken glass, broken kitchen utensils and a bloody cast-iron frying pan with a broken handle,” the document said. Blood was on the carpet, the telephone and the walls in both rooms. Gibson’s mother, who was able to speak to detectives at the hospital, told them an argument began when she spotted a bottle of vodka in her son’s pocket and told him he was not allowed to drink in her home, WRTV reported. She told police she poured the vodka out and told her son, who has a criminal record, “The court needs to do something with you.” “You wanna lock me up? I’m gonna give you something to lock me up,” she said Gibson responded, according to the affidavit. The victim told detectives Gibson attacked her, choking her until she lost consciousness. When she came to, he was beating and kicking her and hitting her with pots and pans from the kitchen, the news station reported. Gibson demanded her purse, so she told him where it was, and he left in her car, WRTV reported. A silver car could be seen in photos taken by a Fox 59 reporter during the Sept. 25 SWAT situation on the city’s south side. Authorities at the scene told the news station Gibson had forced his way into the home, where his wife was staying. She fled the house and called 911, Fox 59 reported. When the tear gas and flash grenades failed to get anyone to come outside, officers went in and found the house empty, the news station said. Gibson was taken into custody a few hours later.

The Latest News Videos