ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
54°
Clear
H 62° L 42°
  • cloudy-day
    54°
    Current Conditions
    Clear. H 62° L 42°
  • clear-night
    54°
    Evening
    Clear. H 62° L 42°
  • clear-night
    43°
    Morning
    Clear. H 67° L 48°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

World
Pompeo says US diplomats' morale 'good' despite shutdown
Close

Pompeo says US diplomats' morale 'good' despite shutdown

Pompeo says US diplomats' morale 'good' despite shutdown
Photo Credit: Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/Pool Photo via AP
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, center, poses with his local security team before departing Manama International Airport in Manama, Bahrain, Friday, Jan. 11, 2019. (Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/Pool Photo via AP)

Pompeo says US diplomats' morale 'good' despite shutdown

American diplomats are upbeat despite the government shutdown that has left many of them working without pay, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Saturday.

"Morale is good," Pompeo told reporters in Abu Dhabi, one of the stops on his nine-nation tour of Middle East, as the shutdown was set to enter its fourth week. "They understand that there are squabbles in Washington, but their mission remains, their duties continue and they're executing them."

"We're doing our best to make sure it doesn't impact our diplomacy," he said of the longest federal shutdown in American history.

Almost half of the State Department employees in the United States and about one-quarter abroad have been furloughed during the shutdown. With the exception of certain local employees overseas, the rest are working without pay, including those tasked with supporting Pompeo's trip, which has thus far taken him to Jordan, Iraq, Egypt and Bahrain.

Pompeo's travels were to continue to Sunday with stops in Qatar and Saudi Arabia. He will wrap the tour up on Monday and Tuesday in Oman and Kuwait.

Even with the government closed, Pompeo said he still plans to host all U.S. ambassadors for a previously scheduled conference in Washington next week.

"It's something that we've had teed up for a while," he said. "It is incredibly important that they hear directly from me. It's an important opportunity for me to get in front of 180-plus of my commanders in the field to look them in the eye and describe to them what it is we're doing and how it is I expect them to do that."

Pompeo also defended the presence of his wife on his Mideast tour. Susan Pompeo's travel with her husband has raised the eyebrows of some who have questioned why she is accompanying him during the shutdown. Pompeo called her a "force multiplier" who is looking at issues he might not otherwise have time to deal with.

"With respect to my wife's travel, she is on an important mission as well," Pompeo said, noting that she has visited the families of U.S. diplomats to gauge their quality of life and make suggestions as to how that can be improved. "She is here on a working trip doing her best to do what you would see a military leader's spouse do — trying to help the State Department be better."

"Are our officers living in the conditions that the Pompeo family would be willing to accept? What are their lives like?" he said. He added that she would prepare a report on what she found with suggestions for improvements, similar to what she did with CIA families while Pompeo was head of the intelligence agency.

"All the things that make up the lives of our families who are serving in sometimes very difficult places she gets a chance to get out there to see how they're living and help me understand what it is that we can do to make sure that our team has everything that they need," Pompeo said.

___

For AP's complete coverage of the U.S. government shutdown: https://apnews.com/GovernmentShutdown

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office is welcoming back K9 Officer Jeremy Mason, nearly 18 months after he was shot in the face while chasing a robbery and carjacking suspect. The shooting happened in July 2017, when police were called to 103rd Street and Old Middleburg Road, after community tips led them to believe a bank robbery suspect was in that area. Police say that suspect- since identified as 28-year-old Michael Harris- carjacked and kidnapped a woman there by getting in her car and forcing her to drive off. JSO says Mason was shot in the ensuing chase, but continued to pursue the suspect. The suspect vehicle got in a crash with a civilian car, and Mason and a detective ultimately fatally shot Harris when he refused to disarm, according to police. Mason has undergone 12 surgeries through his recovery, according to JSO. Today marks the first day back on the job for Mason and K9 Echo.
  • With a partial government shutdown showing no signs of being resolved, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Wednesday basically ‘disinvited’ President Donald Trump from a scheduled January 29 State of the Union Address, saying that the Secret Service and Homeland Security Department should not be tasked with such a major event while they are in a shutdown status. “Sadly, given the security concerns and unless government re-opens this week, I suggest that we work together to determine another suitable date after government has re-opened,” Pelosi wrote in a letter sent to the President on Wednesday morning. There was no immediate reaction from the White House or the President. The President gives the State of the Union at the invitation of the Congress, as the House and Senate must agree to use the House chamber for such an event. The reaction in Congress split down party lines. “It is very ironic that Democrats reference security concerns in their latest grandstanding tactic, delaying the State of the Union, but will not address the security concerns that are creating a humanitarian crisis at the border,” said Rep. Chuck Fleischmann (R-TN). “We know the state of our union,” said Rep. Jim McGovern (D-MA), as Democrats said there should be no speech from the President while the partial shutdown continues. In an interview with NBC News, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said the President had been “disinvited” by Pelosi.
  • Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi asked President Donald Trump on Wednesday to postpone his State of the Union address as the partial government shutdown that started Dec. 22 continues. >> Read more trending news Earlier this month, Pelosi invited Trump to deliver the annual State of the Union address on Jan. 29. However, the California Democrat said Wednesday that the Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Secret Service -- the agency tasked with coordinating and implementing security for certain special events, including the State of the Union address -- have not been paid for 26 days. >> State of the Union 2019: What day, what time, who will be there? “Given the security concerns and unless government re-opens this week, I suggest that we work together to determine another suitable date after government has re-opened for this address or for you to consider delivering your State of the Union address in writing to the Congress on January 29th,” Pelosi said. Pelosi noted that State of the Union addresses were routinely brought to Congress in writing up until the presidency of Woodrow Wilson in 1913. >> Who is Nancy Pelosi? California Democrat elected as House speaker 'Since the start of modern budgeting in Fiscal Year 1977, a State of the Union address has never been delivered during a government shutdown,' Pelosi said. Several federal agencies have been closed and thousands of government employees have been compelled to wok without pay since last month, when lawmakers failed to approve of a budget to keep the federal government running. >> From Cox Media Group’s Jamie Dupree: Coast Guard misses paychecks as partial shutdown reaches Day 25 At issue is funding for a proposed wall along the U.S.-Mexico border that Democrats have opposed. Trump has signaled that he’ll refuse to sign any budget passed by lawmakers that fails to include $5.7 billion to build the wall.
  • Police in California are hoping the public can help them identify a toddler found dead nearly 15 years ago. According to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children's 'Help ID Me' page, hikers discovered the remains of the boy, known as 'Baby Doe,' in May 2004 near the Rancho Bernardo Community Park in San Diego. >> Read more trending news  'The remains were found by two hikers who noticed a green padded winter-type coat lying over a green and white duffel bag,' read the Facebook post shared Tuesday. 'When they removed the coat and looked in the bag, they saw a human skull and bones.' The 2 1/2- to 3 1/2-year-old boy likely died at least a year before he was discovered, authorities said. He had been 'wearing red warm-up pants, gray-tan socks, a blue vest and two sweatshirts,' the Facebook post said. Investigators also released sketches of what the child may have looked like. >> See the images here Forensic tests showed that the boy's mother 'likely spent time in the Southeast while pregnant and may have lived in Texas shortly after the child was born before ultimately moving to the southern California area,' the post said. >> Watch the video here If you have information about the case, please call 1-800-THE-LOST.
  • The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office is interviewing witnesses and trying to speak to victims after six people were shot in the Spring Park area.  Officers believe the scene happened around the Spring Park and Emerson area.  According to JSO, a Chevy Tahoe with multiple bullet holes pulled up to Memorial Hospital around 2:00 am with the victims inside. One person died, the others have injuries ranging from minor to critical. None of the victims are children. Police say the victims are between their 20’s and 40’s. Details are very limited about the person who died, all police were able to say is that the person is 25-years-old.  During the briefing, police were unable to say what exactly led up to the shooting and they’re not even sure if someone called 911.  The Sheriff’s Office does not have any type of suspect information. They are asking anyone with information to call them or Crime Stoppers. This is a developing story and will be updated throughout the morning. 

The Latest News Videos