ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
61°
Partly Cloudy
H 85° L 64°
  • cloudy-day
    61°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 85° L 64°
  • cloudy-day
    79°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 85° L 64°
  • cloudy-day
    81°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 85° L 64°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Jacksonville's Morning News
5am-9am: Jacksonville's Morning News
Where Jacksonville listens for Breaking News, Traffic & Weather.
Related Information

Jacksonville's Morning News features the talents of host, Rich Jones, and the WOKV News team. Rich joined WOKV as News Director in 2006, and under his direction WOKV has been recognized by the Associated Press as the most-awarded radio news team in the state of Florida. Rich is involved in several organizations and causes on the First Coast, including the American Heart Association "Heart Walk", the 2009 "Man and Woman of the Year", where he raised more than $4,500 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Rich enjoys spending his time away from the studio with his wife and two daughters. He's an avid sports fan and enjoys exercising, especially in the Florida sun. Rich enjoys the challenge as host of Jacksonville's Morning News while continuing to lead the WOKV news team!

 

The Latest News Headlines

  • Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry says the news that Jaguars owner Shad Khan is pursuing a purchase of London’s Wembley Stadium is good news for the Jaguars and the city of Jacksonville.   Curry says Khan had previously shared his interest in Wembley with him.  Curry says it is consistent with the business model the Jaguars have shared with fans, which is financial stability.  The Mayor says the purchase of Wembley will increase the profitablity of the London game overnight. 
  • Ronny Jackson, President Donald Trump’s pick to head the Department of Veterans Affairs, has withdrawn his name from consideration, multiple news outlets are reporting. >> MORE COVERAGE: Embattled VA nominee Ronny Jackson accused of drunken driving, drug use | Jamie Dupree: Trump pick to head VA in trouble as Senators postpone hearing | Senate postpones hearing for Trump VA pick Ronny Jackson amid 'serious allegations' | More trending news 
  • Facing numerous questions about his past work record, White House physician Rear Admiral Ronny Jackson withdrew from consideration for VA Secretary on Thursday morning, calling a variety of claims about him, ‘false and fabricated.’ “If they had any merit, I would not have been selected,” Jackson said in a written statement. “I am regretfully withdrawing my nomination,” Jackson said in a written statement. Jackson’s nomination had been in peril all week, as allegations piled up against him, and his confirmation hearing on Wednesday had been postponed indefinitely. The move came after President Trump had openly suggested earlier in the week that Jackson did not have to pursue the post. “I even told him a day or two ago – I saw where this was going,” the President said in a telephone interview on “Fox and Friends.” BREAKING: White House doctor Ronny Jackson withdraws as VA secretary nominee, calls allegations against him `false and fabricated’ — AP Politics (@AP_Politics) April 26, 2018 Even before questions were raised about incidents during his time as the White House physician, there were GOP Senators who were not pleased about the President’s choice for VA Secretary, wondering aloud vetting procedures at the White House. “I don’t know whether that process is being short circuited now,” said Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME). GOP lawmakers quickly said the President needed to find a VA nominee who was familiar with the troubles confronting the massive federal agency. “The next VA Secretary must have the experience and commitment needed to continue that progress,” said Rep. Jim Banks (R-IN). “We owe it to those who have served our country.”
  • Police have released new surveillance video that shows how a 12-year-old boy became stuck underwater for more than nine minutes at a resort in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, last month. >> Click here to watch the footage (WARNING: Graphic) In the video, two boys can be seen playing near a 6-inch-wide suction pipe on the floor of the Avista Resort Hotel’s lazy river. The boys were able to remove the safety grate from the pipe, and the 12-year-old repeatedly dove down to explore the pipe. On one dive, the boy got his leg stuck and grasped the top of the grate to pull himself out. His friend tried to help him but couldn't, so he called for help. >> Read more trending news  That’s when several adults jumped into the water and tried to pull the boy out, but he remained stuck. Police said one of the men knew how to perform underwater mouth-to-mouth aid, and that helped keep the boy alive until emergency personnel arrived. Officers quickly lifted the boy out of the river and began to perform CPR before rushing him to the hospital. Police said the boy is alive but would not provide an update on his condition.
  • Only WSB-TV was in court Wednesday when a Georgia teenager learned she faces a felony vehicular homicide charge in the death of her best friend. >> Watch the news report here >> Teen killed, classmate injured in wreck on senior skip day Cristina Pavon-Baker, 17, crashed on Interstate 75 in Morrow during senior skip day. The wreck killed Mikayla Penn, 18. Pavon-Baker's attorney asked the judge Wednesday not to take her passport since she had a cruise scheduled next month. >> On WSBTV.com: Passengers say 100 mph crash encouraged by Snapchat 'speed filter' That upset the victim's family and the district attorney. “She doesn't need to be on a cruise enjoying herself,” Clayton County District Attorney Tracy Graham Lawson told the court. WSB-TV’s Tom Jones said Lawson was clearly irritated when Pavon-Baker’s attorney asked the judge to not take the teen’s passport as a condition of bond. “We would ask the court to allow her to leave the state and not put that restriction on her,” said Pavon-Baker’s attorney, Jackie Patterson. Lawson responded: “I have an 18-year-old that can't go on a cruise. I have an 18-year-old who can't be with her parents who are in the back of this courtroom.' >> On WSBTV.com: Teen faces felony charge after alleged Snapchat 'speed filter' crash Jones said the cruise request upset Mikayla Penn's parents. It was March 26 when Pavon-Baker and Penn reportedly were headed to Southlake Mall on senior skip day. Prosecutors said Pavon-Baker drove 106 mph in a 65 mph zone on the Jonesboro Road exit along I-75. Pavon-Baker’s Mini Cooper reportedly flipped and crashed, killing Penn. “We have some information that Snapchat may have been used” during the drive, Lawson said. Pavon-Baker is facing first-degree vehicular homicide, reckless driving and speeding charges. Patterson said he meant no harm asking for Pavon-Baker to go on the cruise. >> On WSBTV.com: Judge dismisses case against Snapchat in suit over serious wreck “We were not trying to be insensitive. We were just trying to say, ‘Judge, she has already had these tickets for this cruise,’” Patterson told Jones. Lawson said Pavon-Baker has received enough special treatment. “If you look at her history, these parents have covered for her over and over and over again. I believe in my heart of hearts Ms. Penn would be alive if this child had some consequences,” Lawson said. >> Read more trending news  Lawson was referring to some other traffic troubles Pavon-Baker has had. The judge gave Pavon-Baker a $31,000 bond and ordered her to surrender her passport. The judge also ordered her not to drive and to stay off Snapchat.

The Latest News Videos