CONSTRUCTION I-95 SB off-ramp to Philips closed 




cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
Few Clouds
H 81° L 62°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 81° L 62°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    Partly Cloudy. H 81° L 62°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    Mostly Sunny. H 81° L 62°

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00


The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00


The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

State rests in trial of Michael Dunn

State rests in trial of Michael Dunn

State rests in trial of Michael Dunn
Dr. Stacey Simons with the Duval County Medical Examiner's Office uses a moveable body form to demonstrate the wound tracts she discovered in Jordan Davis.

State rests in trial of Michael Dunn

The State of Florida has rested its case against Michael Dunn after calling 27 witnesses over the span of four days.

In the three days of witness testimony heading in to Monday morning, State Attorney Angela Corey and the two Assistant State Attorneys on her team for this trial have worked to paint the picture of inside the Gate gas station, inside the teen’s SUV and inside Dunn’s hotel room the night of November 23rd, 2012. We’ve chronicled every minute of that in articles posted to the left.

They capped off today with the pathologist in the Medical Examiner’s Office who worked on Jordan Davis’ body. Dr. Stacey Simons was on the witness stand for 90 minutes including cross examination of what the judge warned the audience in the courtroom would include graphic imagery.

She first showed the jury the clothes Davis was wearing that night, including the evident bullet holes and blood stains corresponding to where he was hit three times.

Simons first described in detail the shot which hit Davis’ chest. She says it entered Davis through the tenth rib, on his right side, also moving through his diaphragm, liver, lungs, and aorta.

“I believe that it would have been fatal in a matter of minutes,” Simons said.

The other shots he suffered to the left and right thighs would not have been fatal, although Simons described one as “debilitating”.

More time was taken to focus specifically on the liver.

“There is a large wound track, or very obvious wound track, through the liver,” Simons said.

Based on the trajectory of the bullet, Simons- who was determined by the court to be an expert in her field- believe Davis had to be leaning in toward the middle of the car at the time he was hit with that gunshot.  Dunn claims he fired in to the car fearing for his life and believing the teen was getting out of the car to hurt him.

Defense Attorney Cory Strolla asked Simons how she came to determine Davis was seated in the car rather than standing. She told him that was the information she was given by police.

“Law enforcement never gave you another scenario, did they,” Strolla asked.

“No, they did not,” Simons responded.

“The State Attorney’s Office never gave you another scenario did they?”

“No, they did not.”

When Strolla asked if one of Davis’ thigh wounds could have been sustained while he was getting back in to  the SUV, Simons told him she would have to be given all the relevant data to study the factors together before making a decision.  During re-direct, however, Corey brought body positioning back up.

“Is there anything that you’ve looked at, based on the actual photographs from the crime scene, the dowel pictures you saw, and your own autopsy, that would lead you to believe that Jordan Davis was in any position other than seated in the back seat of that vehicle, leaning towards the other side of the car,” Corey asked.

“There’s nothing that I saw,” Simons responded.

Court reconvenes around 1:30 PM.  Defense Attorney Cory Strolla is planning to call witnesses to speak to Dunn’s character while continuing themes he has presented so far, including that Dunn was acting in self-defense and that potential problems with the police investigation could have left open the opportunity for the teens to get rid of any weapon they may have had in the car. Strolla has still not indicated whether Dunn himself will take the stand.

This trial is scheduled to last through Friday, and at the outset Judge Russell Healey expressed confidence we would be done well inside of that time frame. The pace of calling witnesses has considerably slowed, however. On the first day, which was a half day that also included opening statements, seven witnesses were called. Friday featured nine witnesses, including the teens who were in the car with Davis. Saturday saw eight witnesses, including the lead investigators and analysts, as well as Dunn’s fiancée Rhonda Rouer.

I am at the courthouse bringing you instant updates on the latest in the trial on Twitter (@NewsAndNom and @WOKVNews).  Also stay tuned to WOKV on-air at 104.5FM/AM690 for continued updates through the day and the duration of the trial.

Read More

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • At least one person was killed and multiple people were hurt early Sunday when gunshots rang out at Cameo Night Club in Cincinnati, Ohio. >> Read more trending news >> Click here or scroll down for the latest
  • Alex Jones on Friday apologized to the owner of a Washington, D.C., pizzeria for spreading the fake story last year that linked the restaurant to Hillary Clinton’s campaign and human trafficking. Jones, as the Austin, Texas-based host of, has a long history of pushing wild and false conspiracy theories, such as claiming that the U.S. government perpetrated the 9/11 attacks or the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, was a hoax. But in a rare backtracking mea culpa, Jones apologized for his role in promoting the baseless “Pizzagate” story that went viral among right-wing bloggers and media sites during the 2016 presidential campaign. >> Watch the clip here The gist of the fake story accused Hillary Clinton and her presidential campaign chairman, John Podesta, of running a child sex abuse ring through the Comet Ping Pong restaurant owned by James Alefantis. Podesta’s comments about the pizzeria — made in Democratic Party emails exposed by WikiLeaks — became fodder for fake news web portals as well as popular user-generated content sites like Reddit and 4chan. Jones, in a statement he read aloud for his online audience, tried to put some distance between himself and the fake story and blamed “scores of media outlets,” “third-party accounts of alleged activities” and “accounts of (Infowars) reporters who are no longer with us” for the “incorrect narrative” he discussed several times on his program. >> Read more trending news “In our commentary about what had become known as Pizzagate, I made comments about Mr. Alefantis that in hindsight I regret, and for which I apologize to him,” Jones said. In language that was clearly sculpted by a legal mind hoping to avoid possible litigation, Jones added: “To my knowledge today, neither Mr. Alefantis nor his restaurant Comet Ping Pong, were involved in any human trafficking as was part of the theories about Pizzagate.” For many people, the Pizzagate conspiracy theory became part of the mainstream political discussion only in December, after 28-year-old Edgar Maddison Welch of North Carolina reportedly brought a gun into a Comet Ping Pong packed with customers, and pointed it at an employee in hopes of finding proof of “Pizzagate.” Welch surrendered to police when he found no evidence that children were being harbored there, D.C. police said at the time. He pleaded guilty to weapons and assault charges Friday, CNN reported.
  • For the second time in less than 24 hours, police have swarmed the Las Vegas Strip after at least one person was killed in a shooting near the Cosmopolitan hotel and casino. >> Related: Burglary at Bellagio Hotel and Casino prompts lockdown on Vegas strip Police said Saturday afternoon that the situation was not an active shooter situation.  The suspect peacefully surrendered around 6 p.m., according to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. >> Read more trending news Around 11:30 a.m. Las Vegas police reported that they were investigating a shooting that occurred on South Las Vegas Boulevard. Authorities believed an individual who was on a bus that was traveling on the strip is responsible for the shooting. Police closed portions of the strip, and set up a staging area and a barricade. Guests at the Cosmopolitan resort were evacuated. Shortly after 11 a.m., KSNV reported that at least one victim of a shooting had been transported to University Medical Center trauma in unknown condition. At 1 p.m. Saturday, authorities reported a second victim had been killed. According to USA Today, police evacuated the nearby Cosmopolitan hotel and casino shortly after 1 p.m. “The shooting incident happened on the bus,” said Larry Hadfield, a spokesman with Las Vegas Metro police. “We had one single shooting incident with two victims. Both were transported to the trauma center and one is deceased.” Hadfield said police were negotiating with the suspect Saturday afternoon in an effort to take him into custody, USA Today reported. This is a developing story. Check back for updates. 
  • Las Vegas police are investigating a burglary at a retail store in the Bellagio Hotel and Casino after an incident that occurred overnight Friday, The Associated Press reported.  >> Read more trending news Police said Saturday they believe at least three people entered the store. It was not immediately clear what items were stolen. The store was closed at the time of the burglary.  Authorities said the suspects broke into a high-end jewelry and watch store, where they may have used sledgehammers to break into the shop's jewelry cases. A witness said she saw an armed burglar wearing a pig mask near a Rolex store. Authorities said they are reviewing surveillance tape, where they saw multiple suspects wearing “character masks,” ABC News reported. According to ABC News, the Bellagio was on lockdown for approximately a half-hour after the incident. Police initially thought at least one of the theives may have fired gunshots during the burglary, but later said they believed the sound of the sledgehammers breaking the jewelry cases may have been confused for gunshots. Guests fled the hotel and casino in the midst of the incident. No one was injured.  Police have taken one suspect into custody.  Portions of the Bellagio were closed Saturday as police continue to investigate.
  • A couple has been indicted on accusations that they murdered their deaf teenage son and then burned down their house to cover up the crime, the Associated Press reported. >> Read more trending news  According to the Chenango County Sheriff’s Office in New York, Ernest F. Franklin II, 35, and his wife, Heather Franklin, 33, of Guilford, New York, were charged with second-degree murder, arson and tampering with physical evidence. The two were indicted Friday on charges of second-degree murder in the death of their adopted son, 16-year-old Jeffrey Franklin, People magazine reported. Following an investigation of a fire on March 1 at the family’s 1,300-square-foot home, the couple was arrested. Investigators believe they set fire to their home to cover up the killing of their son. An autopsy determined he died prior to the fire, according to the sheriff’s office. Local law authorities have not said how or when the boy was killed. The Franklins got married in 2011 and adopted Jeffrey six or seven years ago, the sheriff’s office said. According to People magazine, Ernest is an Iraq War veteran. Heather wrote in posts on her Facebook page that she is pregnant. The Franklins are being held without bail. They entered a plea of not guilty. “People are asking themselves, ‘How could this happen?'” Chenango County Sheriff Ernest Cutting Jr. told People magazine. “Certainly for the public here, it’s a mix of anger and frustration and disappointment.” Just days before Heather Franklin was arrested, she posted an update on her Facebook page about how much she missed her son, who she called JR. She also informed friends and family that she and her husband had added their “needs” and “wants” to the Family Gift Registry because they lost everything in the fire. A GoFundMe page was also established, but it has been taken down. The Associated Press reported that police who responded to a 911 call about 1:15 a.m. on March 1 found the Franklin’s house, located about an hour away from Syracuse, engulfed in flames. Jeffrey was inside and unable to escape the fire, according to the sheriff’s office. Authorities initially said the cause of the fire appeared to be a wood stove, the residence’s main heating source. “People are wondering how anybody could do something so brutal to a developmentally disabled and handicapped 16-year-old boy,” Cutting told People. “There are a lot of people who would have taken him. There are organizations that would have taken care of him. Why resort to that? … It’s just a terrible, terrible tragedy.”

The Latest News Videos