ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
67°
Showers
H 78° L 63°
  • cloudy-day
    67°
    Current Conditions
    Showers. H 78° L 63°
  • rain-day
    69°
    Afternoon
    Showers. H 78° L 63°
  • cloudy-day
    63°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 70° L 45°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
City crafting timeline for unpaid courthouse bills
Close

City crafting timeline for unpaid courthouse bills

City crafting timeline for unpaid courthouse bills
Photo Credit: Stephanie Brown

City crafting timeline for unpaid courthouse bills

What was a check-in on progress quickly became a call for action.

The Courthouse Oversight Special Committee has given the administration one week to put together a timeline of when they plan to pay the bills they owe Turner Construction over the new County Courthouse.  Jacksonville’s Chief Financial Officer says there are four invoices totaling about $6 million that the city has yet to pay, and the earliest dates back to July.

“We had found some math inaccuracies that we wanted to alleviate,” says Mayor’s Office spokesman David DeCamp.

The Finance office says the issues have come up over time, and the span of time it has taken so far deals directly with their desire to both check the work they are paying for and make sure that all the billing is done properly.

But Mark Alles with Turner Construction says there has been little communication on the reason for the delay before this meeting.

“That’s how you solve a problem is you figure out what the issues are and then you can attack the issues. Right now, we don’t know what the issues are,” he says.

He told me it would generally take under a month to have an invoice clear, so seeing some take seven months at this time is “interesting.”  He says it also has a direct impact on up to 90 local subcontractors and vendors who are still waiting for Turner to pay them.  Alles says the subcontractors will be paid when Turner is paid.  Four local contractors came to the Oversight Committee to express their concerns about this hold-up, which has been “devastating” for their business.  The amount of money they were owed ranged from about $40,000 to $85,000.

“The subcontractors did not make any math errors, that is not their responsibility,” says Committee Member E. Denise Lee.

The chain of payment is still a big question mark.  Turner says in their contracts both with the city and sub-contractors, they are not obligated to pay until the city does.  The city declined direct comment on that, however, citing a potential for litigation down the road.

Lee says the administration has every right to make sure the work is in order before the payment, but while that dispute is hammered out, it shouldn’t be the local companies that suffer.

“We need to step up our game as the city and resolve this matter,” she says.

By next week, she has asked the Finance Department for a timeline on the payment to Turner.  Belton made it clear that the Committee may not like the answer he has to offer, but the Committee wants to at least get that answer and give the contractors a timeline.

ADA Compliance

The new County Courthouse still has not gained a permanent certificate of occupancy because of a few issues that are nearly complete.  One, however, remains a very divisive point between the city and Turner.

There have been ongoing questions on the pressure needed to open many doors in the Courthouse, and whether they meet ADA compliance.  While the city Wednesday acknowledged that the doors barely meet the standards (but meet them), they are looking in to automating the doors to completely get rid of any doubt.  The cost per door would run about $3,000 however, and there were more than one hundred doors being considered at one point.  There has been no final count or decision made yet, however, and the city is actually consulting with the Department of Justice in moving forward.

When asked whether installing the automation would mean the city was absolving Turner of its role in the door installation, however, the answer was no.  It seems the city would seek payment from Turner for them, although if that were to happen it could mean litigation, something that the committee members pointed out would be costly.

New State Attorney’s Office

The new State Attorney’s Office budget was also examined at the meeting, and some controversial recommendations have come forward.

After not having any bid that fit within the budget, the city has been working with one company to cut items from the project and get the budget down.  They are now under the limit, although with a very small contingency fund, so there will be another round of meetings beginning Friday with all interested parties to see what else could be cut.

The Public Works Department, with the backing of City Council President Bill Bishop, has suggested delaying construction on a secure bridge between the new office in the old Federal Courthouse and the new County Courthouse.  This is a $740,000 part of the project and, if delayed, its budget would move in to the contingency fund.  The bridge is something the State Attorney’s Office has continually lobbied for as a safe path for employees.  Lee asked whether there would be a guarantee that, if delayed, the bridge would still be built.  Public Works Director Jim Robinson couldn’t offer that guarantee.

Another hope of the State Attorney’s Office was, now that there is a finite idea of the budget they have to work with, that the City Council would encumber those funds.  Essentially, freeze that amount of money so it could not be used on any other portion of the Better Jacksonville Project.

City Councilman John Crescimbeni says this isn’t something the city supported in the past, and probably not a good idea again.

“I think we are empowered enough to be responsible to not use that money for other things,” he says.

Crescimbeni pointed out that encumbering the money could force the overall project over the $350 million budget, although he suspects it is already past that point.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • More than a year after it introduced the concept, Amazon opened its artificial intelligence-powered Amazon Go store in Seattle Monday. The store on the bottom floor of Amazon’s headquarters billed itself as grocery shopping for the future. It has no registers and no cashiers. >> Read more trending news  Shoppers have to download the Amazon Go app to scan to get in the door. Once they are inside, the store tracks what they buy through cameras and shelf sensors. Anything a shopper takes off the shelf is automatically added to their virtual cart, and anything put back is taken out of the cart. Once shopping in finished, you just walk out the door. You will get a receipt in your app about five minutes later. The system works by combining computer vision and machine-learning algorithms and sensors. The Associated Press reported there are people there making food, stocking shelves and helping customers. The store offers ready-to-eat breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks, as well as some grocery staples like bread, milk, cheese and chocolates. It'll also have Amazon Meal Kits. KIRO spoke to some of the shoppers who were among the first to experience the store and they seemed to like what they saw.“It will make it a lot quicker. The biggest reason you don’t want to go to the store is waiting in line so it’s pretty great,' Betty Paschke, who lives in Seattle, said. Tech expert Todd Bishop with Geekwire said the success of the store is yet to be seen and depends on how much the public is willing to let the business track their spending and accounts virtually. “It basically treats people walking around a physical space exactly like people are tracked online currently,” Bishop saud. Amazon Go had been open only to Amazon employees since December 2016 to test out the technology. Acording to Amazon, there are no plans to open up more stores like the Seattle location.
  • Three members of a Texas family were sentenced to prison last week in the brutal 2013 beating and stomping of a 13-year-old relative who authorities said was raped -- and impregnated -- by her own brother.  Sharon Jones, 47, of Dallas, and two of her children, Cedric Jones Jr., 29, and Cecila McDonald, 28, pleaded guilty for their part in the 2013 crime, which caused the girl to miscarry, The Dallas Morning News reported. The newspaper reported in 2016 that the victim and five siblings, including a younger sister forced to help hold her down during the beating, moved from California to Texas to live with Sharon Jones, their aunt, after their grandmother died.  “Most people would treat strangers better,” prosecutor Rachel Burris said during last week’s sentencing hearing, according to the newspaper. “Yet these people did it to someone they promised to love. “They held her down. They forced her to lay there while people stomped her. It was savage.” >> Read more trending news A judge sentenced Sharon Jones to 12 years in prison. Cedric Jones was sentenced to five years in prison and his sister was sentenced to serve seven years, according to the Morning News. The siblings and their mother each pleaded guilty to felony family violence aggravated assault.  A fourth suspect, Lonnell McDonald, was convicted in 2016 of aggravated assault and sentenced to 10 years in prison, the newspaper reported.  The beating, which the now-19-year-old victim reported in 2015, stemmed from a sexual assault case in which the girl’s 24-year-old brother was accused of raping her in 2012, when she was 13. The brother, who relocated to Dallas a year before his siblings, was ordered to not have contact with them, though it was not immediately clear why. The brother’s name is being withheld to help shield the victim’s identity.  Testimony in Lonnell McDonald’s trial showed that, despite Sharon Jones promising to take in the siblings to keep them out of foster homes, the children were instead sent to live with Lonnell and Cecila McDonald. Their older brother was living at the McDonald home at the time, the Morning News reported.  It was there that the alleged sexual assault took place, according to testimony.  Sharon Jones is accused of telling the girl and her siblings to lie to Texas Child Protective Services caseworkers so authorities would not find out they were living in the same home as their brother. The 13-year-old victim told authorities that she told Jones and Cecila McDonald about the sexual assault after it came out that their older brother had sexually abused McDonald’s own three young children. The women, who were reportedly worried that McDonald would lose custody of her children, never told authorities about the girl’s allegations.  The brother has since been found mentally incompetent to stand trial and his criminal charges remain in limbo, the Morning News said. When the teen’s relatives learned that she was eight months pregnant, they tried forcing Plan B birth control pills and cinnamon tablets on her to induce a miscarriage, the Morning News reported. When that didn’t work, they held her down and took turns stomping on her abdomen. Cecila McDonald screamed during the attack, “(Expletive), you ain’t about to get my kids taken away from me,” the newspaper said.  After beating her for hours, they left the girl in a bathtub, bleeding and drifting in and out of consciousness, as she gave birth to a stillborn baby, the Morning News reported. To combat her loss of blood, they fed her iron pills. The victim told authorities they took her baby away before she got to see the child.  The girl’s younger sister tried to care for her afterward. The Morning News reported in 2016 that the younger girl, who was 12 during the attack, was granted immunity in the case in return for her testimony.  After the baby was born, Cecila McDonald put the infant’s body in a bucket. She, her brother and her mother then tried to burn the remains on a grill. Sharon Jones subsequently paid her son $25 to get rid of the portion that did not burn. The Morning News said he hid the remains, which have never been found.  “To this day, we don’t know what happened to that baby,” Burris told jurors during Lonnell McDonald’s trial. 
  •   Lake Wales police are searching for those responsible for igniting two marine flares Sunday evening near the entrance of the JC Penney at the Eagle Ridge Mall Sunday evening. >> Read more trending news Firefighters responded to reports of an explosion at the mall on 451 Eagle Ridge Drive around 5:20 p.m. Firefighters initially said that an improvised explosive device had been detonated in a corridor located next to the mall entrance of JC Penney. The FBI later determined that there was no explosion and no pipe bombs were discovered. Officials also said that the incident didn’t appear to be terrorism-related. 'It appears two items, believed to be marine flares, were ignited in a mall hallway, creating a large amount of smoke, and a backpack was located at the scene,' said Andrea Aprea, an FBI spokeswoman. 'Bomb technicians examined the contents of the backpack and determined it did not contain any incendiary or explosive devices.' A witness who called 911 told WFTV that she heard a fire alarm sound and saw orange smoke billowing from an object. The mall was evacuated. No one was injured, but a ceiling and a wall were damaged by the flares, officials said. After speaking with witnesses, police said they are looking for a person of interest described as a stocky, middle-aged white man wearing a gray shirt and a hat. Detectives said they will review surveillance footage recorded at a jewelry store in the mall. The investigation is ongoing.
  • Two people and their dog Lucky escaped a Mandarin house before it was destroyed by fire Monday. Sky Action News Jax flew above the home as firefighters hosed down the roof. Lucky and two other people escaped the fire on Blue Pacific Drive @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/Sv4pCUdZYH — Brittney Donovan (@brittneyANjax) January 22, 2018 Mangled metal and charred wood is all that’s left of the back of the home on Blue Pacific Drive. Ed Laing said he ran outside after hearing a loud explosion. “The windows rattled in the house and I’m two doors down from there,” he said. “It was quite an explosion.” Laing says he grabbed a fire extinguisher and ran outside, where he found thick, black smoke. This is a photo a neighbor took of the fire on Blue Pacific Drive @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/hgpB9XGEYI — Brittney Donovan (@brittneyANjax) January 22, 2018 “The flames were probably 35, 40 feet up in the air,” he said. Jacksonville firefighters worked for 30 minutes to put out the flames.  The fire chief said the home has extensive damage.  “Very devastating. It’s unbelievable,” Laing said. The plastic siding on the house next door melted because of the heat. Investigators with the state fire marshal’s office are working to determine what caused the fire. This is the back of the home on Blue Pacific Drive. Thankfully everyone made it out OK @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/mWsXQ8yMBn — Brittney Donovan (@brittneyANjax) January 22, 2018 Home next door has some damage from the heat of the fire. Fire chief tells me the siding melted @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/g8HB4cE2lL — Brittney Donovan (@brittneyANjax) January 22, 2018 First ground images from #JFRD on scene from Blue Pacific Dr @JFRDJAX pic.twitter.com/hlvmqP34WY — JFRDincidents (@JFRDIncidents) January 22, 2018
  • The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is investigating after a woman's body was found inside a home in the Moncrief area. According to JSO, officers and a JFRD crew found the body inside the home on Frank East Avenue, after getting a call to check on the well-being of an individual.  The victim is said to be a black woman in her 50's; her name has not been released at this time.  However, police did say they do suspect foul play in her death and that they are treating the incident as a murder.  If you have any information, you're urged to contact JSO at their non-emergency number, at (904) 630-0500.

The Latest News Videos