TRAFFIC ALERT:

CONSTRUCTION I-95 SB off-ramp to Philips closed 

ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
68°
Few Clouds
H 76° L 61°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    68°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 76° L 61°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    77°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 76° L 61°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    75°
    Evening
    Sunny. H 80° L 62°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Ribbon cut on the next chapter for Naval Station Mayport

It’s another big step forward in the future of Naval Station Mayport.

A ribbon cutting ceremony Friday formally marked the opening of the Littoral Combat Ship Support Facility- the first of three buildings coming to the base as part of its designation as the East Coast homeport for the class of ships. The first LCS coming to Mayport will be the USS Little Rock at the end of 2016, with eight scheduled through 2020, and more possible after that.

GALLERY: Inside Mayport's new LCS Support Facility

“Ten years from now, it’s going to look like a totally different installation,” says Naval Station Mayport’s Commanding Officer Captain Wesley McCall.

The LCS Support Facility can house 600 employees, and LCS Squadron Two Commodore Captain Paul Young says they will be full this time next year.

“All of our specialties, all of our training and maintenance and operations will emanate from this facility,” Young says.

When you consider the families also coming with the 12 crews of 50 Sailors to staff the ships, the impact grows even further.

“The folks of Jacksonville should be very, very excited they have an asset like this in their backyard,” McCall says.

Mayport currently has 17 ships, a low level that follows the recent decommissioning of frigates across the Navy. The base recently became the homeport of three ships in an Amphibious Ready Group- the USS Iwo Jima, USS Fort McHenry, and USS New York.  It somewhat offset the loss of the frigates, but the base has long been looking to the arrival of the LCS to kick off a period of sustained growth.

GALLERY: On the USS Iwo Jima for homeport shift to Mayport

The Sailors who will be a part of that growth are excited, including ones that were involved in closing the chapter on frigates.

GSE1 Timothy Burch was deployed on the USS Simpson out of Mayport between 2006 and 2011. The USS Simpson decommissioned earlier this year, as Mayport’s final frigate.

“It was great to be part of the ending of frigates, and now a new part of being on the LCS,” Burch says.

GALLERY: On board the USS Simpson before decommissioning

He spent the past ten months in San Diego training for the LCS.

“It’s different, but it’s been a good learning experience,” he says.

Burch says the main reason he accepted transitioning to LCS was because it would bring him back to Mayport.

It’s not just the Sailors who are excited about Mayport though, McCall says that’s proven with the LCS East Coast homeport designation.

“I think that demonstrates our Navy’s and our nation’s commitment to Naval Station Mayport, and it really highlights the strategic importance of Mayport to our nation,” McCall says.

And Navy families have something to look forward to with the LCS as well.

Unlike the rotation of current ships, where crews are deployed with the vessel for as long as it’s at sea, the LCS is intended to have a forward presence for 16 months, but have crews that rotate every four months. For one third of the year, the crew will be training, certifying, and other similar tasks at Mayport. After that, they spend four months on an LCS in Mayport. Then, the crew flies out to the deployed LCS and swaps with the crew that’s currently in that part of the rotation. Each two ships- the one at Mayport and the one deployed- have three crews in constant rotation.

Young says this lets LCS be 50% deployed at all times, a much greater forward presence than other platforms currently in use. The crews themselves will also bring different specialties to the LCS, which is designed for anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, or mine countermeasures, according to Young.

While training right now is being done in San Diego, the LCS Training Facility and Mission Module Support Center at Mayport should be completed by 2019, at which point all training will be conducted locally.

When fully staffed, the LCS has 50 Sailors, but the mission and aviation detachments which also deploy bring the total staffing to 95-100 on board at any given time. Part of the reason the support staff for these ships is so large is because of the smaller crew on board- compared to some of the other types of ships. The Navy says that comes with an increased efficiency, though, because the support staff is able to manage multiple ships.

As the people who will fill the new Support Facility start moving in, they’ve got to settle quickly. Two LCS which will eventually homeport in San Diego are scheduled to visit Mayport next month for testing and practice, and Young says they will put these new facilities and capabilities to the test.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • For the second time in less than 24 hours, police have swarmed the Las Vegas Strip after at least one person was killed in a shooting near the Cosmopolitan hotel and casino. >> Related: Burglary at Bellagio Hotel and Casino prompts lockdown on Vegas strip Police said Saturday afternoon that the situation was not an active shooter situation.  The suspect peacefully surrendered around 6 p.m., according to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. >> Read more trending news Around 11:30 a.m. Las Vegas police reported that they were investigating a shooting that occurred on South Las Vegas Boulevard. Authorities believed an individual who was on a bus that was traveling on the strip is responsible for the shooting. Police closed portions of the strip, and set up a staging area and a barricade. Guests at the Cosmopolitan resort were evacuated. Shortly after 11 a.m., KSNV reported that at least one victim of a shooting had been transported to University Medical Center trauma in unknown condition. At 1 p.m. Saturday, authorities reported a second victim had been killed. According to USA Today, police evacuated the nearby Cosmopolitan hotel and casino shortly after 1 p.m. “The shooting incident happened on the bus,” said Larry Hadfield, a spokesman with Las Vegas Metro police. “We had one single shooting incident with two victims. Both were transported to the trauma center and one is deceased.” Hadfield said police were negotiating with the suspect Saturday afternoon in an effort to take him into custody, USA Today reported. This is a developing story. Check back for updates. 
  • Las Vegas police are investigating a burglary at a retail store in the Bellagio Hotel and Casino after an incident that occurred overnight Friday, The Associated Press reported.  >> Read more trending news Police said Saturday they believe at least three people entered the store. It was not immediately clear what items were stolen. The store was closed at the time of the burglary.  Authorities said the suspects broke into a high-end jewelry and watch store, where they may have used sledgehammers to break into the shop's jewelry cases. A witness said she saw an armed burglar wearing a pig mask near a Rolex store. Authorities said they are reviewing surveillance tape, where they saw multiple suspects wearing “character masks,” ABC News reported. According to ABC News, the Bellagio was on lockdown for approximately a half-hour after the incident. Police initially thought at least one of the theives may have fired gunshots during the burglary, but later said they believed the sound of the sledgehammers breaking the jewelry cases may have been confused for gunshots. Guests fled the hotel and casino in the midst of the incident. No one was injured.  Police have taken one suspect into custody.  Portions of the Bellagio were closed Saturday as police continue to investigate.
  • A couple has been indicted on accusations that they murdered their deaf teenage son and then burned down their house to cover up the crime, the Associated Press reported. >> Read more trending news  According to the Chenango County Sheriff’s Office in New York, Ernest F. Franklin II, 35, and his wife, Heather Franklin, 33, of Guilford, New York, were charged with second-degree murder, arson and tampering with physical evidence. The two were indicted Friday on charges of second-degree murder in the death of their adopted son, 16-year-old Jeffrey Franklin, People magazine reported. Following an investigation of a fire on March 1 at the family’s 1,300-square-foot home, the couple was arrested. Investigators believe they set fire to their home to cover up the killing of their son. An autopsy determined he died prior to the fire, according to the sheriff’s office. Local law authorities have not said how or when the boy was killed. The Franklins got married in 2011 and adopted Jeffrey six or seven years ago, the sheriff’s office said. According to People magazine, Ernest is an Iraq War veteran. Heather wrote in posts on her Facebook page that she is pregnant. The Franklins are being held without bail. They entered a plea of not guilty. “People are asking themselves, ‘How could this happen?'” Chenango County Sheriff Ernest Cutting Jr. told People magazine. “Certainly for the public here, it’s a mix of anger and frustration and disappointment.” Just days before Heather Franklin was arrested, she posted an update on her Facebook page about how much she missed her son, who she called JR. She also informed friends and family that she and her husband had added their “needs” and “wants” to the CheckedTwice.com Family Gift Registry because they lost everything in the fire. A GoFundMe page was also established, but it has been taken down. The Associated Press reported that police who responded to a 911 call about 1:15 a.m. on March 1 found the Franklin’s house, located about an hour away from Syracuse, engulfed in flames. Jeffrey was inside and unable to escape the fire, according to the sheriff’s office. Authorities initially said the cause of the fire appeared to be a wood stove, the residence’s main heating source. “People are wondering how anybody could do something so brutal to a developmentally disabled and handicapped 16-year-old boy,” Cutting told People. “There are a lot of people who would have taken him. There are organizations that would have taken care of him. Why resort to that? … It’s just a terrible, terrible tragedy.”
  • North Carolina police said they have found the bodies of two missing children Saturday morning in Hoke County. >> Read more trending news  Fayetteville police had been searching for 2-year-old Serenity and 4-day-old Genesis Freeman overnight Friday. They were in their father's custody when they disappeared and he reportedly refused to tell police where the children were. Tillman Freeman, 30, was first charged with two counts of child abuse and child neglect.  When their bodies were found in a wooded area off of Highway 211, two counts of first-degree murder were added to those charges. The children's mother was in the hospital at the time the children went missing for an unrelated reason.
  • A residential neighborhood on the westside, near Timquana Park and Timuquana Country Club was the scene of a police and Hazmat investigation Saturday morning.  Jacksonville Sheriff’s Officers responded to Timuquana Rd. because a vehicle was left parked in front of a house with a sign that read, “Danger, stay back hazmat needed”. JSO says there was a strong chemical smell around the car.  JFRD Hazmat was called to the neighborhood and advised citizens to shelter inside their homes.  No evacuation was ordered. One person was found dead inside the car.  JSO Homicide Detectives are now investigating.  

The Latest News Videos