Mostly Sunny
H 84° L 68°
  • cloudy-day
    Current Conditions
    Mostly Sunny. H 84° L 68°
  • clear-day
    Mostly Sunny. H 84° L 68°
  • cloudy-day
    Partly Cloudy. H 84° L 68°

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00


The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00


The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

The decision to scrap El Faro's sister ship

The decision to scrap El Faro's sister ship

The decision to scrap El Faro's sister ship
El Faro's sister ship, El Yunque.

The decision to scrap El Faro's sister ship

El Faro’s sister ship was scrapped for “commercial reasons”, according to the company over the vessel.

Through this latest hearing session of the Coast Guard Marine Board of Investigation working the El Faro sinking, consistent questions have arisen regarding some of the potential issues on board El Yunque, specifically in connection to her vent trunks. This session was also the first that investigators publicly confirmed El Yunque was being scrapped instead of heading to the Alaskan trade, but until Monday’s testimony, it wasn’t clear what went in to that decision.

TOTE attorneys questioning TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico Director of Operations Lee Peterson, who was the TOTE Services Director of Safety and Marine Operations at the time of the sinking, asked him to point blank speak to whether the Coast Guard had ordered the ship be scrapped because of safety concerns.

“The decision on scrapping the El Yunque- I was not involved in that decision, but my understanding is that it was a commercial decision and it was based on the conversions that were ongoing with the Orca class ships,” Peterson says.

El Faro and El Yunque were set to be converted for the Alaskan trade in order to temporarily take the place of two Orca-class ships on that route, which were thought to need engine replacements, according to Peterson. He says the new engines were to meet new emissions standards, and would take the ships out of service, at a foreign shipyard, for an extended period of time.

FULL COVERAGE: El Faro sinking

The engine manufacturer later determined the engines could be converted, instead of replaced.

“The current conversion, a lot of it can be done underway on the vessels. And for the required shipyard periods, they’re a short enough duration where we don’t require a replacement ship to fill in for them,” Peterson says.

As a result, he says they no longer needed El Yunque to spell the Alaska ships. His attorney asked whether he was aware of conversations of other commercial factors that also went in to the decision to scrap, but Peterson says he was not.

The MBI wanted to be explicitly clear, though.

“Is it your testimony that the El Yunque was not scrapped at least in part due to safety concerns that would have to be corrected and the substantial amount of work to be done,” asked MBI Chair Captain Jason Neubauer.

Peterson initially responded “correct”, before consulting with his attorney and stating that he wasn’t aware of any safety considerations in the decision. TOTE Services Attorney Luke Reid soon added a caveat, though.

“He gave you what his understanding was with respect to the reason, and it involved Orcas and thinks like that in his testimony. Sitting down with Mr. Peterson, we realized that that was not a correct statement. So his understanding was not correct, I just wanted to make sure that’s corrected for the record,” Reid says.

The clear line was blurred further, when some on the MBI introduced glimpses of conversations or correspondences they appeared to question could be involved in the decision. Board Member Keith Fawcett asked Peterson if he was aware of discussions in September 2015 related to delaying the Orca conversions because of a “cascading series of events”, which included problems with the Isla Bella. The Isla Bella is one of the ships that was going to replace El Faro and El Yunque, who were then going to spell the Alaskan ships. Neubauer further asked whether Peterson was aware of a meeting between senior TOTE executives and the US Coast Guard headquarters to discuss the scrapping of El Yunque.

On both accounts, Peterson was not aware of the conversations.

GALLERY: Inside the MBI third hearing session

Through this hearing session, the MBI Board has been closely examining specifically the state of El Yunque’s vent trunks. Earlier testimony shows there was severe wastage found in one of the trunks in 3 hold during a Document of Compliance Audit. The Coast Guard says the American Bureau of Shipping was tasked with inspecting the other vent trunks, and they cleared them. During a later drydock on the Northwest, though, wastage was found by the Coast Guard in many other trunks, and inspectors believed it to be long term.

TOTE Services Port Engineer Tim Neeson tells the MBI he was involved in the inspection of the other vent trunks, after the ship had been moved to the drydock.  He crawled inside and chipped at the metal to determine the strength and state.

“Pretty bad, pretty rusty,” Neeson says.

He says they opened “a considerable amount” of the vent trunks, but not all of them.

They made a plan to address the needed repairs, which included changing questionable steel. Plans changed with the decision to scrap the vessel.

There has been no documentation of severe wastage found on El Faro at this time, but investigators have noted that they will continue to present evidence connected to her sister ship because of the similarities and because it can help speak to how the vessels were being managed. The vent trunks specifically have also become a point of interest, since an MBI-requested report presented during this hearing session showed it’s possible water was able to get in through the vent trunks, contributing to the flooding El Faro was experiencing ahead of her sinking.

WOKV continues to follow the latest from the MBI. Get instant updates on Twitter.

Read More

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • An Alabama man charged with killing his wife, whose slaying last month unveiled her double life as an online exhibitionist, is accused of beating her to death with a bottle of absinthe, court records show. The partially-clothed body of Kathleen Dawn “Kat” West, 42, of Calera, was discovered lying in the road in front of her home just after 5 a.m. on Jan. 18, Calera Police Chief Sean Lemley said in a Thursday news conference. She lived there with her husband, William Jeffrey West, and their 12-year-old daughter.  Jeff West, 44, was arrested Thursday and charged with murder. According to Shelby County Jail records, he was being held Friday in lieu of $500,000 bond.  The couple’s daughter was not home when her mother was killed. Lemley said Thursday that Jeff West was the department’s chief suspect from the beginning of the investigation, though Kat West’s “online professional activities” warranted investigators’ attention.  He declined to specify what evidence pointed them toward her husband.  “Let me say this. We are still restricted, very restricted, on what information that can be given out,” Lemley said. “The case is still under investigation, even though we have made an arrest. But, the case has to go to trial as well.” The West murder case has shone a national spotlight on small-town Calera, due mainly to the more salacious details of Kat West’s life. Though she described herself on social media as a full-time stay-at-home wife and mother, she operated a subscription-only adult website where she went by the name “Kitty Kat West.” The public page boasted a suggestive photo and promised users that, for a monthly $15.99 subscription fee, they could get more risqué material beyond the paywall.  Her Twitter account, also listed under her stage name, directs viewers to the paid adult website, as well. Kat West’s bio on the adult site, which was still live as of Friday, described the site, in part, as “hundreds of pics of ALL me, having some naughty fun.” In the days immediately following the slaying, Kat West’s mother, Nancy Martin, wrote on Facebook that it seemed “impossible for the extreme sadness and grief we feel (over) the loss of our beautiful daughter, Kat, to ever diminish.” She described her daughter as a “cherished wife to Jeff” and a loving mother to their own young daughter.  A fundraiser in Kat West’s name was established, but quickly ended as the case became more public.  On Jan. 24, Martin changed her profile picture to one of her daughter and son-in-law. It remained there as of Friday afternoon.  See Calera Police Chief Sean Lemley’s news conference, recorded by WBRC in Birmingham, below.  Lemley said that investigators interviewed many witnesses in the case, as well as collecting a lot of evidence that needed to be processed. Four detectives were assigned to the case, two of them full-time.  “Evidence takes time to process,” the police chief said. “And we have to wait on that evidence to come in so we can connect all the dots.” Detectives were awaiting analysis on a final piece of evidence from the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences. That final report was issued on Tuesday and, after a thorough review by the Shelby County District Attorney’s Office, a warrant was issued for Jeff West’s arrest, the chief said.  >> Read more trending news  “We know exactly what happened, for the most part, on this case.” Lemley said. “I mean, we can’t tell you verbatim what was being said one way or the other, but we know what happened that night. We do have evidence to support that.” The chief credited neighboring Shelby County law enforcement agencies, state agencies and the FBI with assisting in the investigation.  Lemley again declined to go into detail about the evidence, but Jeff West’s arrest warrant, obtained by AL.com, indicates that Kat West was killed with a bottle of Lucid Absinthe. An autopsy found that the victim died of blunt force trauma to the head.  The court documents state that, when a 19-year-old neighbor left for work Jan. 18, she found Kat West face-down on the ground in nothing but a sports bra, her body half in the roadway and half in the yard of the home across the street. A cellphone was found nearby, along with a green liquor bottle.  Lucid Absinthe is sold in green bottles.  TV news magazine Inside Edition on Jan. 25 aired surveillance footage from R&R Wine and Liquor, in Calera, that shows Kat West, just about eight hours before she was killed, walk into the liquor store with a man who appears to be her husband. In the video, the couple looks happy and playful. “They came in (and) it looked like they were on their date night,” store clerk Stacey Oglesby told Inside Edition. The couple bought two things that night: Lucid Absinthe and Jameson Irish Whiskey, Oglesby said.  Lemley said it was not completely clear what could have happened between the couple’s visit to the liquor store, when they appeared happy, and when Kat West was bludgeoned to death.  “It’s a domestic. Unfortunately, domestics turn bad pretty quickly,” Lemley said. “Anything can trigger it.”  Jeff West, a military veteran, works as an unsworn police officer at Birmingham Southern College, AL.com reported. Officials at the school said they are in the process of terminating his employment.  As of Thursday, Jeff West had not admitted involvement in the crime, Lemley said. 
  • Originally arrested on grand theft charges, a Neptune Beach police patrol officer is sentenced to six months in Duval County Jail after pleading guilty to petit theft. Authorities say 33-year-old Christopher Ortiz admitted to stealing $807 in cash from an undercover officer’s wallet on July 17, 2017. Investigators, acting on complaints about missing property from individuals Ortiz had arrested previously, set-up a sting operation involving an undercover officer posing as an impaired driver. Ortiz admitted that he had taken the cash after he had pulled over the undercover officer, then admitted to taking money from three others previously.  “While we are strongly disappointed in Mr. Ortiz’s actions, we are exceptionally pleased with the disposition of this case,” says Neptune Beach Police Chief Richard Pike. “Our commitment to the public’s trust is paramount and vital to our continued success while serving the public.” Ortiz must make full restitution to the three victims identified during the investigation.
  • With a spike in school-related threats following the mass shooting in Parkland, the Clay County Sheriff's Office is announcing the arrest of a second suspect accused of making threats online.  The sheriff's office says early Friday they were informed about threatening messages involving Oakleaf Junior High School, prompting an immediate investigation by their Juvenile Crimes Unit and their Cyber Crimes Unit.  Information they uncovered led them to an Oakleaf Junior High School student, who has since been arrested and is being charged with two felonies and a misdemeanor. We’re told she is 13-years-old. This arrest comes only a few hours after Clay County deputies announced the arrest of a 9th grade student at Oakleaf High School student accused of making threats against that school.  The 15-year-old girl in that case is also facing two felony charges and a misdemeanor, including false report/ use firearms in a violent manner and written threats to kill or do bodily harm, as well as Disruption or Interfering with School. Clay County Sheriff Darryl Daniels recently announced that his deputies would have ‘zero tolerance’ for these kinds of threats.
  • President Donald Trump has called for the arming of qualified teachers in the wake of a deadly shooting that left 17 people dead at a Florida high school, but in Texas dozens of school districts already allow staff members to carry firearms. >> Read more trending news Officials with the Texas Association of School Boards on Thursday told KSAT that they were aware of at least 172 school districts that let staff members carry firearms. Each district individually decides whether to allow staff to carry weapons, board spokeswoman Theresa Gage told the news station. Under state and federal laws, schools are usually considered gun-free zones, but Texas law allows for districts to authorize employees to carry firearms under a pair of programs, the Corpus Christi Caller-Times reported. >> Related: Teachers to Trump: #ArmMeWith funding, supplies and resources, not guns The Guardian Plan, which allows for certain teachers to be designated as “guardians” who are allowed to carry concealed handguns, was created in 2007 as schools were reeling in the wake of a shooting at Virginia Tech that left more than 30 people dead and nearly two dozen injured, Texas Monthly magazine reported in 2014. Four years after the creation of the Guardian Plan, the state legislature passed the Protection of Texas Children Act. The act allows school districts to arm and train one employee as a school marshal for every 400 students, according to Texas Monthly. Agua Dulce Independent School District Superintendent Wayne Kelly told the Caller-Times that his district chose to participate in the Guardian Plan starting in 2016. To participate in the program, teachers and staff members are required to undergo mental health evaluations and 80 hours of training by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement, according to the newspaper. >> Related: Some Ohio school districts arm staff, but don't tell public 'I feel like it would be good because there's a way to stop (school shooters)' under the Guardian and the School Marshal plans, Fabian Crossland, whose son is a kindergartner, told KSAT. Still, the plans have their critics, including Texas State Teachers Association spokesman Clay Robison. “It’s a bad idea. It’s always been a bad idea, and it will stay a bad idea,” Robison told the Dallas Morning News. “Teachers are there to teach, and they will protect their kids as the teachers did their best to do in Florida. Steps need to be taken to reduce the number of guns floating around in the hands of wrong people. Guns in the hands of teachers are not the solution. It’s a cop-out.” >> Related: Florida Gov. Rick Scott calls for reform to state's gun laws, increase in school security Trump on Friday reiterated his call to allow certain teachers and school administrators to carry concealed weapons in school, arguing that such a move would prevent or drastically cut down on the carnage caused by school shootings. He wrote Thursday on Twitter, “If a potential ‘sicko shooter’ knows that a school has a large number of very weapons talented teachers (and others) who will be instantly shooting, the sicko will NEVER attack that school.” “Why do we protect our airports, our banks, our government buildings, but not our school?” Trump asked Friday during a speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Maryland. “Our schools are essentially gun-free zones and that makes them very dangerous places.” According to the Los Angeles Times, schools currently allow staff members to carry guns on campuses in about two dozen states.
  • An Orlando, Florida, doctor has been arrested for Medicaid fraud. The Florida Department of Health and the Office of the Attorney General’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit said Friday that Dr. Ishrat Sohail is accused of giving vaccines to patients with private insurance. The vaccines were intended for Medicaid patients and uninsured children as part of the Vaccines for Children Program, or VFC, officials said. >> Read more trending news  Officials said Sohail is accused of giving patients partial doses of vaccines while billing insurance for the full amount, officials said. The partial doses also may not provide sufficient protection from potentially dangerous diseases that can be prevented with a full dose of vaccine. The health department is working with the Agency for Health Care Administration and health insurance companies to notify all potentially affected families. At this time, it is estimated that approximately 500 children may have been affected, officials said in a news release. Read: Florida eye doctor gets 17 years for Medicare fraud Sohail’s license to practice medicine in the state of Florida has been suspended by the state. In 2016, the department determined that Sohail administered two vials of VFC vaccines to non-Medicaid patients and billed private insurance companies, officials said. She was suspended from the VFC program for two months.  Read: Florida doctor facing long Medicare fraud sentence Officials said Sohail was placed on a corrective action plan, which limited the number of doses of vaccines available to her and in January, she was found to be in noncompliance. Any child who received a vaccine from Sohail between 2016 and 2018 should contact a new primary care provider and consider revaccination, officials said. There is also the possibility that Sohail did not follow best practices in maintaining the sterility of the vaccines she administered. Officials say that, if a child experienced a severe adverse reaction or infection at the injection site of any vaccine administered by Sohail or her staff, patients should contact the Epidemiology Department at the Department of Health in Orange at 407-858-1485.

The Latest News Videos