Jacksonville, FL — The Neptune Beach Police Department is taking steps to proactively prevent package thefts this holiday season.
The police department says it's instituting a Holiday Package Receiving Program to ensure residents are able to get their packages safely, without so-called 'porch pirates' stepping in first.
As part of this program, Neptune Beach residents will be able to have their online orders shipped to police headquarters instead of their house.
"This number one priority of our agency is to ensure the safety of life and property for our residents. This is yet one more way we can better serve and protect our beautiful beachside community," says Chief of Police Richard Pike.
To take part in this program, the police department says the following guidelines apply:
• Be a resident of Neptune Beach
• Have your package sent to our Police Headquarters, 200 Lemon St. Neptune Beach, FL 32266
• Present a valid Florida DL/ID card upon picking up your package
• Retrieve your package between the hours of 6am to 6pm
• The program will run from 12/05/2019 to 12/23/2019
If you have any questions, you can call PIO Commander Michael Key at (904) 242-3435.