On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

cloudy-day
43°
Cloudy / Wind
H 52° L 40°
  • cloudy-day
    43°
    Current Conditions
    Cloudy / Wind. H 52° L 40°
  • windy-day
    49°
    Afternoon
    Cloudy / Wind. H 52° L 40°
  • clear-night
    49°
    Evening
    Clear. H 52° L 40°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
NAS Jacksonville warns of extra noise, due to training kicking off
Close

NAS Jacksonville warns of extra noise, due to training kicking off

NAS Jacksonville warns of extra noise, due to training kicking off

NAS Jacksonville warns of extra noise, due to training kicking off

Neighbors living near NAS Jacksonville on the Westside can expect to hear some extra noise over the next few weeks.

That's as the NAS Jax says carrier-based jet fighters and other types of aircraft will be conducting training, starting January 25th through February 15th. 

NAS Jax says residents in neighborhoods surrounding the base will notice an increase in aircraft activity and noise as that training is underway. If you wish to send a noise complaint, you can using the following email: NASJAX_NOISE_COMPLAINTS@NAVY.MIL. 

This training operation is in support of aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) and embarked Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 8 staff, according to NAS Jax.

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • It’s a windy, cold end to the work week. Action News Jax Chief Meteorologist Mike Buresh says temperatures will barely make it into the low 50’s this afternoon.  “...and with a gusty wind out of the northeast up to 25 and 30 mph, wind chills will be in the 30’s and 40’s all day long”, said Buresh.  We'll see a brightening of the sky by later this afternoon but we stay cold.  Temps crash tonight with an inland frost or freeze early Saturday and a brisk start to the weekend.  Temps begin to warm up on Sunday with partly sunny skies and afternoon temperatures in the upper 60’s.  Monday will be near 80 degrees. 
  • The death toll attributed to the 2019 novel coronavirus continues to rise, with tens of thousands of people sickened and thousands of others killed by the virus, mostly in China. The coronavirus, dubbed COVID-19 by the World Health Organization, was discovered late last year in Wuhan, China. Here are the latest updates: South Korean coronavirus infections continue to increase Update 3:46 a.m. EST Feb. 21: The number of confirmed novel coronavirus infections in South Korea increased to 204 on Friday, nearly doubling in 24 hours and almost quadrupling in three days, the South Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed in a statement issued early Friday. Health officials believe the majority of the new cases are connected to a church in Daegu, a city of about two and half million people in the southeastern region of the country. Specifically, 42 of the newest cases reported Friday have been traced to the church called Shincheonji. The country also reported on Thursday what officials believe could be South Korea’s first fatality from the virus. The 63-year-old woman exhibiting symptoms of pneumonia died Wednesday at the Daenam Hospital in Cheongdo, The New York Times reported. Prison outbreaks boost novel coronavirus cases in mainland China Update 3:43 a.m. EST Feb. 21: More than 500 novel coronavirus cases have been confirmed in prisons across China, including 271 cases – 51 of which had been counted in previous tallies – in Hubei province, CNN reported. Meanwhile, officials announced in a joint news conference on Friday that of the 2,077 prisoners and staff at Rencheng prison in China’s eastern Shandong province tested for the virus, 200 prisoners and seven staff members tested positive. Zhejiang province announced 34 prison cases on Friday, bringing the correctional total to 512, CNN reported. Canada records its 9th confirmed novel coronavirus case, 6th in British Columbia Update 3:41 a.m. EST Feb. 21: British Columbia’s Ministry of Health confirmed Friday a woman in her 30s has become the province’s sixth diagnosed case of novel coronavirus and the ninth for Canada. According to the statement, the woman had recently returned from Iran and is being isolated at home while public health officials identify and contact those people with whom she had contact upon returning Meanwhile, 47 of the 256 Canadian passengers aboard the beleaguered Diamond Princess cruise ship – moored off the coast of Japan – have tested positive for the virus. All 256 will be subject to a 14-day quarantine in Ontario once their evacuations are complete, CNN reported. 11 of 13 people evacuated to Omaha test positive for COVID-19  Update 11 p.m. EST Feb. 20: Federal experts confirmed that 11 of 13 people evacuated to an Omaha hospital from a cruise ship in Japan have tested positive for COVID-19, Nebraska officials announced Thursday night. The University of Nebraska Medical Center said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had verified test results completed Monday by the Nebraska Public Health Lab. Ten of those people are being cared for at the National Quarantine Unit while three are in the nearby Nebraska Biocontainment Unit. The medical center said only a few of the patients were showing symptoms of the disease. All 13 people were passengers of the Diamond Princess cruise ship who were evacuated to the U.S. on Feb. 17. China reports fall in new virus cases, 118 deaths  Update 10 p.m. EST Feb. 20: China reported a further fall in new virus cases to 889 as health officials expressed optimism over containment of the outbreak that has caused more than 2,200 deaths and is spreading elsewhere.  New infections in China have been falling for days, although changes in how it counts cases have caused doubts about the true trajectory of the epidemic.  China’s figures for the previous 24 hours brought the total number of cases to 75,465. The 118 newly reported deaths raised the total to 2,236. More than 1,000 cases and 11 deaths have been confirmed outside the mainland. 4 Americans who tested positive for COVID-19 sent to hospital in Spokane, Washington  Update 7:30 p.m. EST Feb. 20: Four Americans who tested positive for the new virus that caused an outbreak China are being sent to a hospital in Spokane, Washington, for treatment, officials said Thursday.  The four were passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship and were flown back to the U.S. over the weekend, according to a spokeswoman for the Department of Health and Human Services. They were being transferred from Travis Air Force Base in California, hospital officials said.  Two patients arrived at the hospital Thursdayin satisfactory condition with two more expected soon, said Christa Arguinchona, who manages a special isolation unit at Sacred Heart Medical Center. The hospital is one of 10 in the nation funded by Congress to treat new or highly infectious diseases.  “The risk to the community from this particular process is zero,” said Bob Lutz of the Spokane Regional Health District at a briefing Thursday at the hospital. WHO: ‘This is no time for complacency’ Update 2:25 p.m. EST Feb. 20: World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Thursday that recent declines in the number of new coronavirus cases being reported in China were encouraging, but he warned, “this is no time for complacency.” As pf 6 a.m. Geneva time Thursday, 74,675 people in China and 1,076 people in order parts of the world had been sickened by coronavirus, according to WHO. Officials said 2,121 people in China and seven people outside of the country have died thus far of the viral infection. 'This is the time to attack the virus while it is manageable,” Tedros said, according to The Washington Post. “You will get sick of me saying that the window of opportunity remains open for us to contain this COVID-19 outbreak.” CDC warns travels to take precautions for travel to Japan, Hong Kong Update 12:20 p.m. EST Feb. 20: The Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued new coronavirus-related travel advisories Thursday for Americans visiting Japan or Hong Kong. The advisories warned travelers to avoid contact with sick people, avoid touching their eyes, noses or mouths with their unwashed hands and recommended using soap and water often to wash hands for at least 20 seconds. Officials said Thursday that it remained unnecessary to postpone or cancel trips to Japan or Hong Kong due to the virus. However, the CDC advisories noted “multiple instances of community spread' in both locales, meaning people “have been infected with the virus, but how or where they became infected is not known.” Officials with the CDC previously issued an advisory warning travelers to avoid non-essential travel to China. According to Japanese health officials, authorities have seen 73 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the country. One person in Japan has died of the viral infection. Health official in Hong Kong have confirmed 65 cases of coronavirus. Japan reports 12 new coronavirus cases, Singapore confirms 1 more  Update 11 a.m. EST Feb. 20: Officials in Japan have reported a dozen new confirmed cases of the coronavirus, CNN reported, citing the Japanese health ministry. The new cases include two government officials who worked on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship, according to CNN. Thousands of people were quarantined on the ship for two weeks as it was docked off the coast of Japan due to coronavirus fears. Hundreds of people on the ship ended up testing positive for the viral infection.  Officials with the Singapore Ministry of Health said Thursday that a new case of coronavirus had been confirmed in the country. The case, involving a 36-year-old Chinese national who was in Singapore on a work pass, is the 85th reported in Singapore.  Global death toll hits 2,126  Update 7:40 a.m. EST Feb. 20: More than 2,120 people have died globally and thousands of others have fallen ill due to the 2019 novel coronavirus, according to multiple reports.  At least 2,126 people globally have died from coronavirus, CNN reported Thursday. A majority of the deaths have been reported in China, where health officials announced 114 more deaths and 394 more confirmed cases of the illness. Overall, 75,730 coronavirus cases have been reported worldwide, including 74,576 in China, according to CNN.
  • There’s a major effort underway to recruit more people from underserved parts of town to become Jacksonville firefighters. An open house is happening this Saturday at The Legends Center for those who live in 32202, 32205, 32206, 32208, 32209, 32210, 32211, 32218, 32244, 32254 and are interested in a career with the Jacksonville Fire Rescue Department.  You must attend the open house with the proper paperwork in order to be considered.  Jacksonville Fire Chief Keith Powers knows what it’s like to come from nothing. He looked back on his days of working around the clock to land his dream job.  “I went at night and I had to work full-time during the day. I’m not complaining, hard work does you good, hard work gets you places but it was a struggle,” Powers said.  It’s why the fire apprentice program is personal to him and felt it was important to speak with Action News Jax to let more people know about the program that he calls “life-changing.”  “It’s very important one, that the Jacksonville Fire Rescue Department looks just like our community, it’s extremely important. Diversity is important,” he said.  Before you can even apply to become a firefighter, you have to first get state certified as a firefighter and emergency medical technician or EMT. On average, Powers said, the training courses could run from $6,500 to $8,000 – leaving many candidates, mostly minorities, out.  “Once they’re selected, the entire firefighter 1, firefighter 2, an EMT is paid for by the city of Jacksonville,” he said. “Once they get that, they become a priority hire for us.”  There are several requirements to qualify, including passing a background screening, drug test and agility test.  You also must have a high school diploma or equivalent and be between 17-21 years old.  “We’re going to do an apprenticeship class of 20 in June and we’re going to do another class of 20 in October, so there’s an opportunity for 40 young men and women in this community to come be part of this great department,” Powers said.  Saturday’s open house begins at 10 a.m. at The Legends Center located at 5130 Soutel Drive.  To expedite the application process please bring a copy of the following items to the open house:  • Valid driver’s license or Florida ID (copy both sides)  • Birth certificate  • High school diploma or GED  • Official high school transcripts (GPA must be listed on transcript)  • Driving record report for the last three years from DMV  • Immunization record (normally listed on your high school transcript)  • Proof of health insurance (if you have health insurance)  • NOTE: May/June 2020 graduates, you are still encouraged to attend the open house even if you won’t have your high school diploma at the time. However, please bring all other required documents.
  • The Jacksonville Beach Police Department is asking for the public's help as they continue to investigate two men charged with multiple counts of grand theft.  WOKV first reported on Wednesday when Jacksonville Beach police and the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office raided a home on Townsend Boulevard in Arlington. Officers said at that time, they had discovered at least two stolen trailers, two stolen motorcycles, along with dozens of other pieces of property they believed were stolen. Now, police have identified the two suspects arrested in connection as Richard 'Mark' Rose and Timothy Howey.  Police say if you have had contact with these men in the past two weeks to buy or sell tools, painting equipment, or other construction equipment, they want you to reach out to Detective Kling at (904) 233-6686 or by email at dkling@jaxbchfl.net.
  • A judge sentenced political consultant Roger Stone, a confidant of President Donald Trump, to 40 months in prison Thursday following his conviction last year on charges of lying to Congress, witness tampering and obstruction. Update 3:40 p.m. EST Feb. 20: Trump told a crowd gathered Thursday in Las Vegas that he believes Stone “has a very good chance of exoneration, in my opinion.” “I want the process to play out. I think that’s the best thing to do. Because I’d love to see Roger exonerated,” Trump said while delivering a commencement speech at HOPE for Prisoners Graduation. “I personally think he was treated very unfairly. During the 2016 campaign, Stone mentioned in interviews and public appearances that he was in contact with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange through a trusted intermediary and hinted at inside knowledge of the group’s plans to release hacked emails damaging to Hillary Clinton. Testimony revealed that Stone, while appearing before the House Intelligence Committee, named comedian Randy Credico as his intermediary and pressured Credico not to contradict him. After Credico was contacted by Congress, he reached out to Stone, who told him he should “stonewall it” and “plead the fifth,” he testified. Credico also testified during Stone’s trial that Stone repeatedly told him to “do a ‘Frank Pentangeli,’” a reference to a character in “The Godfather: Part II” who lies before Congress. Credico and Stone have had a working relationship for more than dozen years, beginning in 2002 while Credico was working on a third-party candidate’s campaign in that year’s gubernatorial election in New York, according to Politico. “They talk about witness tampering, but the man that (Stone) was tampering didn’t seem to have that much of a problem with it,” Trump said Thursday. “They’ve known each other for years. It’s not like the tampering that I see on television, when you watch a movie -- that’s called tampering, with guns to people’s heads and lots of other things.” Update 12:55 p.m. EST Feb. 20: Judge Amy Berman Jackson on Thursday sentenced Stone to serve a total of 40 months in prison. According to Courthouse News, Jackson sentenced Stone to 40 months in prison for obstruction, 12 months for each of five counts of making false statements and 17 months for witness tampering. The sentences were all set to run concurrently, Courthouse News reported. Stone is expected to remain free for the next few weeks, Mother Jones reported. Update 12:35 p.m. EST Feb. 20: Judge Amy Berman Jackson has sentenced Roger Stone to serve 40 months, according to Vox. Update 12:30 p.m. EST Feb. 20: Judge Amy Berman Jackson said Thursday that Trump’s tweets in support of Stone “were totally inappropriate,” but she said she wouldn’t hold the 67-year-old accountable for the president’s actions, according to Mother Jones. Last week, Trump took to Twitter to slam a sentencing proposal from DOJ prosecutors, which called for between seven and nine years behind bars, as “horrible and very unfair.” Update 12 p.m. EST Feb. 20: Judge Amy Berman Jackson told Stone on Thursday that the case against him wasn’t politically motivated but instead “arose because Roger Stone characteristically inserted himself smack in the middle of one of the most incendiary issues of the day,” Courthouse News and Mother Jones reported. Stone’s sentencing hearing is ongoing. Update 11:25 a.m. EST Feb. 20: Judge Amy Berman Jackson has called for a brief recess in Stone’s sentencing hearing, Courthouse News reported. Update 10:35 a.m. EST Feb. 20: Trump questioned the fairness of the case against Stone again Thursday in a tweet as the political consultant appeared in a Washington courthouse for sentencing. Trump compared Stone’s case to accusations that former FBI director James Comey and former deputy director Andrew McCabe lied to Congress, allegations they’ve denied. The president’s tweets were posted as Stone appeared before Judge Amy Berman Jackson in Washington. Original report: The sentencing is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. Thursday. The action in federal court comes amid Trump's unrelenting defense of his longtime confidant that has led to a mini-revolt inside the Justice Department and allegations the president has interfered in the case. Trump last week criticized a sentencing proposal from DOJ prosecutors, which called for between seven and nine years behind bars, as “horrible and very unfair.” Afterward, U.S. Attorney General William Barr backed off the sentencing recommendation, though Justice Department officials said the decision had been made Monday night — before Trump's tweet — and that prosecutors had not spoken to the White House about it. A jury convicted Stone in November on several charges connected to special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election. Prosecutors said he lied to protect the Trump campaign from embarrassment and scrutiny in its quest for emails hacked by Russian officials and disseminated by WikiLeaks during the election. Stone was a prominent figure in Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign. He and Trump have been friends since the 1980s, according to The Washington Post. Rumors have swirled since his conviction that Trump might issue a pardon for him, though he said in December that he hadn’t considered it, USA Today reported. 'I think it’s very tough what they did to Roger Stone compared to what they do to other people, on their side,' the president added, according to the newspaper. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

The Latest News Videos