On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

heavy-rain-night
68°
Cloudy
H 69° L 64°
  • heavy-rain-night
    68°
    Current Conditions
    Cloudy. H 69° L 64°
  • cloudy-day
    65°
    Morning
    Cloudy. H 69° L 64°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    72°
    Afternoon
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 74° L 44°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
City takes over Jacksonville Landing, tells businesses to vacate
Close

City takes over Jacksonville Landing, tells businesses to vacate

City takes over Jacksonville Landing, tells businesses to vacate

City takes over Jacksonville Landing, tells businesses to vacate

Jacksonville Landing businesses are officially on notice- it’s time to close up shop.

Just a few weeks ago, the Jacksonville City Council approved a $15 million deal to terminate the lease between the City, which owns the land the Landing is on, and Toney Sleiman’s Jacksonville Landing Investments, which owned and operated the building itself. They set aside an additional $1.5 million to settle any remaining subleases and use toward possible business relocations, as well as $1.5 million to demolish the building.

That vote formally started a close-out period, where the City had up to 45 days to perform the final due diligence and get the paperwork done. Now, 36 days later, the remaining businesses operating at the Landing have received notice from the City that the ownership transition has taken place, and everyone needs to clear out.


There are a few different versions of the letters obtained by WOKV. For some tenants, who were on a month-to-month lease already, they have been given a 30-day notice to clear out their space and vacate. It’s a similar message given to other tenants who weren’t specifically listed as month-by-month, but the City cites an “option to terminate” clause in the leases. At least one business is currently in default of its lease, according to the letter. The City is giving that business the option to remedy the default, but also giving it notice that it must be out in 30 days as well.

Two of the long-term lease terminations raise questions of how quickly the City will be able to move forward with plans to demolish the building, though. The letter to Hooters says they are getting 180 days before the sublease is terminated, and- per their agreement- they will be paid $303,333.31 when the property is surrendered. The letter to Compass Bank gives notice of the sublease termination effective February 1, 2021.


Fionn MacCool’s is another long-term lease, but we have not yet received their termination letter. They do have specific buyout terms in their lease, similar to Hooters.

During the City Council vote in March, Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry’s Administration had said they were having good talks with Compass Bank. WOKV asked today if they believe they will be able to close out that lease before the current February 2021 end, and a City Spokeswoman tells us she can’t comment because it is a legal matter, but she will have more “very soon”.

The Administration previously said they anticipated lease close-outs to take up to four months from when they took ownership of the building. Some of the businesses at the Landing tell us they were caught off guard by these notices, but the City maintains they have been in communication with the owners and will continue to offer resources, including possible incentives to help relocations staying in Downtown.

After the close outs, the City wants to demolish the building, and it already has the funding approved to tackle that. Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry has spoken about a mixed-use concept that involves green space as well as some structures for development. While there is no specific concept that’s been put forward recently, he released a rendering nearly a year ago that appears to still match that vision.

Close

Future of Jacksonville Landing in question after mass shooting

A City Spokeswoman tells WOKV they plan to have a proposal out soon for what to do on the site after demolition. 

The City officially taking over ownership marks the end to years of growing tension between the City and JLI over this property. The situation escalated when the parties went to court, with JLI arguing that the City was failing to live up to its maintenance and security obligations, and the City contending JLI was failing to deliver on its promised vision to be a world-class facility.

Until the building is clear, the City is not providing an updated timeline on when the facility will be demolished.

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office says it has made an arrest after a murder on the city’s Northside on September 27, 2019. Suspect Terry Hagans, 32, was captured by the United States Marshals Fugitive Task Force and charged with murder in the second degree and two counts of armed robbery.
  • Construction crews continue to repair hurricane damage on the Jacksonville Beach Pier. The contractor is assembling and installing a temporary trestle that is used to hold the crane (which is necessary to build the pier).  This work will be going on for the next few months. The trestle will be removed once pier repairs are complete.  The project is expected to be complete in late fall 2021.
  • Neighbors are trying to save what they call a historic home in Mandarin. The southern plantation-style house on Loretto Road was built in 1913. According to the Duval County Property Appraiser, the property includes 25 acres of land.  The son of the couple who lived there said his parents recently passed away, and now the home is vacant. He is planning to sell the property and has reached an agreement with a local developer, Hart Resources LLC.  The company’s owner, Curtis Hart, submitted a rezoning application to the City of Jacksonville. Hart told Action News Jax he plans to build 55 single-family homes on this property, if the application is approved.  Neighbors created a petition to try and stop the rezoning. Jessica Tracy, a neighbor of the area for several years, said this house hold historical value for neighbors, and a large development would create hazardous traffic and overcrowding of schools.  “It’s sad because there’s a lot of other properties that have been torn down and this is one of the last ones,” Tracy said.  As of Tuesday afternoon, the petition has more than 6,500 signatures.  Action News Jax Elizabeth Pace spoke to the owner of the property and Hart. The owner declined to comment.  Over the phone, Hart said is currently reviewing potential changes with the development, including keeping the white house as a park. He said he will not move forward with the development until they have reached an agreement with neighbors.
  • An Alabama bank manager who convinced an elderly customer to trust him with her money -- and then stole almost $315,000 from her -- was sentenced Friday to serve just over three years in federal prison. Montreal Holley, 28, of Montgomery, was handed a 37-month sentence for theft, embezzlement or misapplication of funds by a bank employee, court records show. Holley, who faced up to 30 years in prison prior to his November plea, will be on supervised probation for three years upon his release. Holley was also ordered to undergo mental health counseling while in prison and to pay more than $125,000 in restitution to Regions Bank, where he worked. According to court documents, the judge recommended he serve his sentence at the Maxwell Federal Prison Camp in Montgomery. “This case is upsetting in many ways, and it serves as a reminder that criminals are targeting some of the most vulnerable people in our society,” Louis Franklin, the U.S. attorney for the Middle District of Alabama, said in a statement, according to WSFA in Montgomery. “Holley selected his victim because of her advanced age and illness.” The woman died shortly after the investigation into Holley’s actions was launched in 2018. Franklin said the investigation began not long after he became a branch manager for Regions in May 2018. According to Franklin’s statement, Holley had convinced the elderly customer that she could trust only him to handle her money. Within months, he had drained nearly $315,000 from her accounts, WSFA reported. Holley used cashier’s checks and wire transfers to empty the woman’s accounts and issued a debit card for one account, using it to make cash withdrawals from an ATM. According to statements made during his sentencing, Holley used the stolen funds to pay off loans in his name, as well as in the names of his wife, girlfriend and other family members. Court documents show that in one instance, in December 2018, he used a cashier’s check to withdraw $23,266 from the woman’s bank account. He used the money to pay off a car loan, the documents say. WSFA reported that the loan was for a car his girlfriend drove. “He thought he would get away with stealing her money because no one would notice,” Franklin said, according to the news station. “Fortunately, Regions Bank discovered the suspicious activity in her account.” Officials said Holley returned $188,000 of the stolen money after he was caught. The restitution he is ordered to pay is the remaining portion of what was stolen, according to federal court records. Court documents show that Holley’s cooperation with the investigation played a role in the length of his sentence. He decided early on to plead guilty and waived indictment. Two Jeeps were seized by the U.S. Secret Service during the investigation, the records show. “The government agrees to seek restoration of any proceeds from the sale of those vehicles and to apply any such funds toward any restitution order imposed on the defendant,” Holley’s plea agreement states. Patrick Davis, special Agent in charge with the Secret Service, said in a statement that bank investigators should be commended. “Their quick response and thorough investigative support stopped this defendant from further financially exploiting the elderly victim in this case,” Davis said, according to the news station.
  • The Jacksonville Beach Police Department is asking for the public's help finding a newer model silver or gray Dodge Charger involved in a hit-and-run early Tuesday morning.  According to police, the vehicle was involved in what witnesses say was an 'intentional' hit and run of a pedestrian on a bicycle. Police say the victim was OK after sustaining non-life threatening injuries.  Police say the vehicle should have damage to its front and passenger side.  If you have any information on the vehicle or driver, you're urged to call Detective Thompson at (904) 270-1675.

The Latest News Videos