On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

clear-night
49°
Sunny
H 68° L 52°
  • clear-night
    49°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 68° L 52°
  • clear-day
    76°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 68° L 52°
  • cloudy-day
    70°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 79° L 66°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Jacksonville needs to approve nearly $980,000 as part of plan to improve San Marco train delays
Close

Jacksonville needs to approve nearly $980,000 as part of plan to improve San Marco train delays

Jacksonville needs to approve nearly $980,000 as part of plan to improve San Marco train delays
Photo Credit: None

Jacksonville needs to approve nearly $980,000 as part of plan to improve San Marco train delays

The Federal Railroad Administration is awarding Jacksonville $17.6 million to address congestion problems created by railroad traffic in the urban core- especially San Marco and the Southbank. But that only funds half of the project, and WOKV is tracking where the rest of the money will come from.

We first reported Friday when Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry revealed the grant award. The FRA has now confirmed the grant, with Jacksonville being one of 45 projects getting funding in 29 states through the Consolidated Rail Infrastructure and Safety Improvements (CRISI) Program.

“These investments in intercity passenger and freight rail will benefit surrounding communities, make grade crossings safer and improve service reliability,” says a statement from US Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao.

That $17,615,500- which is the full amount that had been requested- only funds half of the project. Partners in this grant are paying for the rest, but the City of Jacksonville’s portion specifically has not yet been allocated.

The Florida Department of Transportation is on the hook for most of the rest of the tab- $13.7 million. An FDOT Spokesperson says those funds are committed, as part of this matching grant. According to the grant documents, CSX, Florida East Coast Railway, the Jacksonville Transportation Authority, and the City of Jacksonville are all contributing $978,875 each, to round out the sum. A JTA Spokesman says the Board has already approved their contribution. For the City of Jacksonville, that hasn’t been done.

WOKV asked when the Mayor will move forward with introducing that funding for approval by the City Council.

“We need more guidance on the timing of the grant before we answer but it could potentially end up in this budget,” says a statement from Curry’s Chief of Staff Brian Hughes.

 The annual budget proposal is vetted for several weeks by the City Council, and then the amended package is approved ahead of the start of the fiscal year, October 1st. 

The overall $35.2 million project consists of several phases, with the overall goal of addressing the “conflicts” created between the trains and vehicle, bike, and pedestrian traffic. Three major railroads interchange in the urban core, and because of some limitations in the current infrastructure, that interaction is not always smooth.

The grant application says FECR trains that leave the Bowden Rail Yard and head north are traveling on a corridor that’s not tied to a centralized dispatch system, so they are frequently required to hold south of the St. Johns River rail bridge, in order for tracks to be cleared and switches re-aligned. That backup means an obstruction at seven crossings daily, for anywhere between a few minutes to a few hours, according to the grant application. Not only is that an inconvenience for people living, working, and driving in the area and a safety hazard for people who lose their patience and cross in between the rail cars, but it creates potential obstacles for the medical facilities in that area and has a ripple effect more broadly on the movement of freight through the state and Southeast.

This proposal addresses these problems by adding 7,000 feet of staging track, to provide room for trains to wait in the yard, instead of out in the city. The track will consider future technology advances in rail engineering. Centralized Traffic Control improvements would also be installed on the FECR track and crossings, to allow better coordination.  This project also involves upgrading signals and track at the CSX/FECR Beaver Street Interlocking, modernizing switches and track in other areas, and installing quad gates at some high crash probability crossings.

The grant application says freight movement by rail will only continue to increase in the future, meaning this problem will grow if it’s left unaddressed.

“More than 80 percent of all goods moving south of Jacksonville throughout Florida and north to parts out of Florida will move through this yard. As the economy grows this interchange will become more congested having a ripple effect throughout the entire Florida freight network as well as the freight network throughout the southeast part of the country,” the grant application says.

CSX and FECR both commit to maintaining the upgrades through their useful lives, according to the grant application. CSX estimates they’ll see an additional $90,000 a year in those maintenance costs, while FECR estimates their tab to be an additional $120,000 annually.

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has issued an Amber Alert for 2 missing children. Five-year-old Bri’ya Williams and 6-year-old Braxton Williams were last seen about 11:30 a.m. Sunday in the 10200 block of West Beaver Street in Jacksonville. In a briefing, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office said family members were inside a house when the children went missing while playing in their front yard of the home. JSO said a family member called police when they realized that the children were missing from the yard. Sources told ActionNewsJax that the children are siblings. Braxton Williams is said to be on the autism spectrum but will communicate with others. He was wearing a red sweater and blue jeans when he went missing. Bri’ya Williams was wearing a gray sweater with multicolored writing on it. K-9 teams, drones and drive teams from JSO as well as other agencies are searching for the children and will continue their search through the night. Police are asking for everyone in the area to be on the lookout and to call JSO at 904-630-0500 or 911 if they have information about where the children could be.
  • A California father is facing multiple charges, including murder, in the death of his toddler son, authorities said. According to the Fresno Bee, Jesse Ashton, 23, of Mariposa, surrendered to authorities Friday, less than two weeks after they issued a warrant accusing him of murder and assault resulting in the April 2018 death of 22-month-old Bradley Reynolds. Ashton was jailed on $1 million bond, the Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release. Deputies previously arrested Ashton on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter April 19, 2018, after Bradley died at an area hospital earlier that week, the Sheriff’s Office said. Ashton, who claimed that the boy had suffered a seizure, was released on bail, authorities said. “Based on evidence available at that time, no charges were filed by the District Attorney’s Office,” the news release said. But that changed after officials completed an autopsy and pathology report and gathered more information during their investigation, the Sheriff’s Office said. Authorities reviewed the results in November and issued an arrest warrant for Ashton on Dec. 2, according to the news release. “The incontrovertible evidence shows that Jesse Ashton murdered his child,” District Attorney Walter Wall said in a statement. Read more here or here. Deputies previously arrested Ashton on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter April 19, 2018, after Bradley died at an area hospital earlier that week, the Sheriff’s Office said. Ashton, who claimed that the boy had suffered a seizure, was released on bail, authorities said. “Based on evidence available at that time, no charges were filed by the District Attorney’s Office,” the news release said. But that changed after officials completed an autopsy and pathology report and gathered more information during their investigation, the Sheriff’s Office said. Authorities reviewed the results in November and issued an arrest warrant for Ashton on Dec. 2, according to the news release. “The incontrovertible evidence shows that Jesse Ashton murdered his child,” District Attorney Walter Wall said in a statement. Read more here or here.
  • Police in Oklahoma are investigating after a fatal triple shooting Saturday afternoon in Jenks. Investigators told KOKI-TV that a man and his two sons are dead after what they believe is a case of murder-suicide. Police said the children’s mother was at work at the time. The shooting happened in the Country Woods neighborhood near West 106th Street South and South Madison Street South. Officers responded to a call around 12:50 p.m. regarding a domestic incident at the home. Police said others living in the home called 911. No one else in the home was injured.
  • Police in Jacksonville Beach are investigating after more than a dozen cars were broken into over the course of a few days. It started last weekend along 5th Street South where several of those burglaries took place.  Police reports said there were 14 burglaries that happened Saturday through Monday.  Joseph Rennie said he’s hoping this weekend they don’t see a repeat.  “All in all, this is a pretty safe neighborhood. But occasionally, you have things like this happen and come up, but it’s definitely a little bit unnerving,” Rennie said.  Police said someone was going around smashing out windows of vehicles and looking for valuables inside. Wallets, credit and debit cards were taken.  Some people had nothing taken, but were left with a broken window. It happened to 6 cars on 5th Street, 4 cars on 12th, and several others on the surrounding blocks.  Rennie, like many others who live in the area, said he’s thankful he wasn’t a victim, but was surprised it happened to so many people in the area.  “There is a sense of just making sure you’re being smart about it, not leaving stuff of value in your car, kind of anywhere. But yeah, its really unfortunate to see that that’s happened, especially around the holiday season,” Rennie said.  As always, police are urging people not to leave valuables in their cars.
  • Florida, along with 29 other states, has been accepted for membership into the Electronic Registration Information Center (ERIC), according to Governor Ron DeSantis' office. ERIC is a multi-state partnership that uses a data-matching tool to help enhance election security and make voter rolls more accurate.  The governor's office says through ERIC, member states can share information from voter registration systems, motor vehicle databases, social security death records, and US Post Office records, to help identify voters who have moved, passed away, or changed their name.  Additionally, the governor's office says ERIC will help boost voter registration as it will provide member states better information on how to contact potentially eligible, but unregistered voters.  Governor DeSantis says he has set aside an estimated $1.3 million in his 2020-2021 recommend budget to conduct outreach to these unregistered voters with a direct mailer prior to the 2020 general election.  But the governor's office says Florida's full participation in ERIC will be contingent on the state legislature signing off on his budget. Being a member of ERIC requires annual dues of around $75,000.

The Latest News Videos