ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
83°
Partly Cloudy
H 91° L 76°
  • cloudy-day
    83°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 76°
  • cloudy-day
    78°
    Morning
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 76°
  • cloudy-day
    89°
    Afternoon
    Mostly Cloudy. H 92° L 77°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
JEA aid in Puerto Rico is coming to an end, earlier than first expected
Close

JEA aid in Puerto Rico is coming to an end, earlier than first expected

JEA aid in Puerto Rico is coming to an end, earlier than first expected
JEA personnel put up a 65 foot concrete pole in Puerto Rico

JEA aid in Puerto Rico is coming to an end, earlier than first expected

JEA says it’s “nearing” the time for their workers in Puerto Rico to come home. 

The first JEA crews- 41 linemen and personnel- got to the island October 7th, to help rebuild the power grid in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria. Those workers came home November 7th, the same day 45 other JEA linemen and support personnel took their place. 

Now, just ten days after those crews got on the ground, JEA says it’s nearing the time for them to come back to Jacksonville. 

“As JEA employees wrap up our work in Puerto Rico, we want to commend everyone for their extraordinary work over the past 45 days,” says a statement from JEA CEO Paul McElroy. 

There’s no set timeline yet for when these crews will come back to Jacksonville, but JEA says they’re hoping that will be by Thanksgiving.

When the first crews were sent out back in October, JEA said they had committed assets for up to 90 days. The plan was to have three, three month rotations of personnel. Since that time, the $300 million contract managing the overall restoration efforts- which had been awarded to Whitefish Energy- was canceled. At that time, JEA told us they remained dedicated to making “meaningful contribution” to power restoration efforts, and they would work with whoever was ultimately designated to handle the greater project. 

JEA tells WOKV they spoke with the parties currently organizing restoration efforts about staying. JEA says they were among the first ones the ground in the aftermath of Maria, and there are now more than 3,000 electric personnel and contractors in Puerto Rico,  so they determined it was time for their employees to come home.

The Associated Press reported today that the director of Puerto Rico’s power company has also resigned in part because of the Whitefish contract controversy.

JEA says their crews have set more than 100 65-foot concrete poles and 80 70-foot steel poles, while also running 64 miles of transmission and distribution circuits.

“We would like to thank the residents for the warm welcome and encouragement as our crews worked in very difficult conditions to rebuild the electric infrastructure,” McElroy says.

It’s been about two months since Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico as a Category 4 storm. More than 20 of the island’s 78 municipalities remain without power. Large scale blackouts have also continued to take place.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • A Missouri woman who applied for a customer service job was shocked Monday when she received an email stating that her “ghetto” name had lost her the position.  Hermeisha Robinson, 27, of Bellefontaine Neighbors, posted the email response from Mantality Heath on her Facebook page.  “Thank you for your interest in careers at Mantality Health,” the email read, according to Robinson’s post. “Unfortunately, we do not consider candidates that have suggestive ‘ghetto’ names. We wish the best in your career search.” The email was signed Jordan Kimler, a nurse practitioner with the company. According to the company’s website, Mantality Health provides treatment to men suffering from low testosterone. It has multiple locations in several states.  Robinson wrote that she was upset to be turned away from a position she felt she was well qualified for. “My feelings are very hurt and they even got me second-guessing my name, trying to figure out if my name is really that ‘ghetto,’” she wrote. “I would like for everyone to share this post because discrimination has to stop!” Share the post her friends did. As of Wednesday morning, it had been shared more than 10,000 times.  One of the people sharing Robinson’s post was her cousin, Miltina Burnett. Burnett wrote on Facebook that the response made Robinson -- who was named after her late father, Herman -- question whether she should “change her name to fit in corporate America.” “Don’t ever change who you are to become more like them,” Burnett wrote. “They had no right to say what they said to her.” The St. Louis Post-Dispatch spoke with Mantality Health owner Kevin Meuret, who on Tuesday said that the company’s email system was hacked by someone outside Missouri. Meuret said he believes the hacker may be an angry former employee.  “I’m a father of three daughters, and that young lady getting that (response) is horrible,” Meuret told the Post-Dispatch. “That young lady opened something that must have felt like a freight train, and that’s unacceptable.” Burnett shared images of private messages she received from Mantality Health employees about the alleged hacking.  Company officials believe the hacking may have been done through Indeed.com, where Robinson submitted her application. Mantality Health’s website has a statement addressing the situation. “The password for the outside job board site used by Mantality was compromised on Aug. 13, 2018,” the statement reads. “We are currently working with law enforcement to identify the perpetrator and consider appropriate legal action. We share the anger and frustration of those who received these bogus emails.” Meuret told KMOV News 4 that they believe about 20 applicants got emails similar to Robinson’s. Dorneshia Zachery was one of them, the news station reported.  “The company looked at my name and said, ‘We don’t care about what you’ve done in life; your name is going to dismiss you completely,’” Zachery told News 4.  Meuret told the news station that the emails are deplorable. “This is not a reflection of who we are as a company,” he said.  The company has gotten the Chesterfield Police Department involved in the case, as well as St. Louis County’s cybercrimes division.  “We will continue to pursue this even if it becomes a federal matter,” Meuret told the Post-Dispatch.  >> Read more trending news Indeed.com officials told News 4 that they have found no signs of hacking on their end. “Account security is of utmost importance to Indeed and something that we diligently monitor,” the company’s statement read. “Account holders are responsible for use of their password and we recommend frequent updates and complete confidentiality of your password. Our investigation into this particular account shows no evidence of compromise.” Cybersecurity experts told the Post-Dispatch that the incident was likely an internal break-in and not a “high-tech hacking event.” “If you have a guy who knows everything about the infrastructure of the company, it’s going to happen,” Jianli Pan, a cybersecurity professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, told the newspaper. “It’s up to the company how important it is for them to keep their systems secure. But that’s not free. It takes money and training and designating some expert to be in charge of such issues.” Companies, particularly small ones, should have a checklist of things to do when an employee leaves, according to Joe Scherrer, Washington University’s program director of graduate studies in information systems management and cybersecurity management. The checklist should include eliminating all access to email, social media and all other communication means, Scherrer told the Post-Dispatch.  “You should scrub them out of the company. I know that sounds harsh, but it’s how to prevent this from happening,” Scherrer told the newspaper. 
  • The two people filling the seats of suspended Democratic Jacksonville City Council members have now been sworn in. It was a quick ceremony Thursday, with City Council President Aaron Bowman delivering brief remarks about it being an exciting day for Jacksonville, and Ju’Coby Pittman (D) and Terrance Freeman (R) then each taking the oath of office. Both were appointed by the Governor, who previously suspended Katrina Brown and Reggie Brown, who have been federally indicted on fraud and related charges.  Pittman is the President of Clara White Mission, Inc. She is stepping in to Katrina Brown’s seat, representing District 8.  “My first thing is to meet the constituents. I want to go out, have a town meeting. I want to go to the churches, I want to go to the businesses, and just listen to what their issues are,” she says.  Freeman, the regional director for Ygrene Energy Fund, will serve the remaining term of Reggie Brown, representing District 10. Freeman lived in Mandarin, but confirms he is renting some rooms in a home in District 10, where his family of six will live so that he can represent that district.  “My first order of business- we’ll be at an HOA meeting on Monday, be at a church on Sunday, getting out and meeting people. I love meeting people and getting a chance to hear what’s important to them,” Freeman says.  Bowman welcomed them to the Council, noting that budget season is right around the corner and committee work resumes next week.  Katrina Brown and Reggie Brown have both pleaded not guilty. Their trial is tentatively slated for early September. They face charges for allegedly using shell businesses to draw down on an SBA-backed loan that was supposed to be used for Katrina Brown’s failing family BBQ sauce business. They each face additional charges, including Katrina Brown allegedly defrauding banks for loans, and Reggie Brown allegedly failing to file a tax return.
  • Just a couple of weeks before two now-suspended Jacksonville City Council members were slated to face a jury on federal charges, including fraud and money laundering, the trial has been pushed off. There was a joint motion by the government and Katrina Brown and Reggie Brown to continue the trial. It had been slated for September 4th, but is now scheduled for February 4th.  The defendants were jointly named in a 38-count federal indictment, relating to Katrina Brown’s family BBQ sauce business. The indictment says Katrina Brown did not disclose that the business was failing, and instead she and Reggie Brown used shell businesses to draw down on a federally-backed loan for the business, for work that was never done.  Katrina Brown is also charged with using fraudulent information to try to secure bank loans for the business, and Reggie Brown is also charged with not filing a tax return one year and not disclosing money he received from this alleged scheme to the IRS.  Both defendants deny any wrongdoing.  Both Democratic City Council members were suspended from the governing body, following the indictment. Governor Rick Scott has appointed Ju’Coby Pittman and Terrance Freeman are their replacements, and both have since been sworn in.
  • The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is releasing surveillance photos of an armed robbery suspect they're working to identify. According to JSO, this suspect was caught on camera robbing Tunis Seafood, Wings, and Subs on Emerson Street, back on August 9th.  Police say he entered the business, approached the counter, and handed the employee a note demanding money. At that time, investigators say he displayed a gun. The suspect was last seen on foot, after getting cash.  If you know who this man is, you're urged to contact the sheriff's office at (904) 630-0500 or Crime Stoppers at 1-866-845-TIPS.
  • President Donald Trump is revoking former CIA Director John Brennan’s security clearance, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Wednesday. >> Read more trending news The announcement came weeks after Huckabee Sanders told reporters that Trump was looking in to the process required to revoke security clearances from half a dozen former Obama administration officials.  Huckabee Sanders cited Brennan's 'erratic conduct and behavior' as the reasoning behind the revocation and accused him of 'lying' and 'wild outbursts.' Brennan has been critical of Trump, calling his performance at a joint press conference last month with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Finland 'nothing short of treasonous.' Huckabee Sanders did not say Wednesday that Brennan leveraged his security clearance for financial gain -- an allegation she levied at some former intelligence officials last month. >> Trump wants to revoke security clearances for ex-Obama intelligence officials, White House says During a July 23 news briefing, Huckabee Sanders said Trump was exploring options to remove security clearances from former officials who have “politicized and, in some cases, monetized their public service.” Huckabee Sanders said Wednesday that officials continued to look at revoking the clearances of other former officials, including former FBI Director James Comey and former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe.

The Latest News Videos