ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
76°
Partly Cloudy
H 92° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    76°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 92° L 77°
  • cloudy-day
    89°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 92° L 77°
  • partly-cloudy-tstorms-day
    82°
    Evening
    Sct Thunderstorms. H 92° L 77°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
Northwest Jacksonville food pantry to open in “extreme food desert”
Close

Northwest Jacksonville food pantry to open in “extreme food desert”

Northwest Jacksonville food pantry to open in “extreme food desert”
Seniors in Coweta County participate in the Senior Produce Mobile Pantry Program operated by the Atlanta Community Food Bank. The food bank purchases 80,000 pounds of fresh produce each month to give away to seniors. CONTRIBUTED BY ATLANTA COMMUNITY FOOD BANK

Northwest Jacksonville food pantry to open in “extreme food desert”

A mobile food pantry will take place Tuesday at KIPP Jacksonville Schools. Frank Castillo, President and CEO of Feeding Northeast Florida, says that area in the 32254 zip code is in significant need of grocery options, following the recent closure of a staple grocery store in the area.

“We have about 13,000 people that live in this particular zip code, and the availability not only of nutritious food, but affordable food is very scarce in this particular community,” says Castillo. 

He says the mobile pantry precedes the opening of a stable pantry inside the school facility at 2525 W. 1st St., which Feeding Northeast Florida plans to open this fall. Castillo says the mobile pantry will serve anyone in need at no cost to them, but for security reasons, the stable pantry will be limited to families and students of the KIPP Jacksonville facility. 

Castillo says the hope here is to not only feed families in need, but to educate people to make healthy, nutritious food choices. 

Castillo says funding for the mobile pantry comes from the generosity of donors, and is not being funded by the City. Feeding Northeast Florida is working with Councilman Garrett Dennis, Councilman Sam Newby, the KIPP Foundation, the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Services Family Nutrition Program, the University of North Florida, and United Healthcare volunteers. 

Tuesday’s event takes place at KIPP Jacksonville Schools from 8 a.m. until 11 a.m.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

The Latest News Headlines

  • At least 35 people were killed Tuesday when part of the a highway bridge collapsed in northwestern Italy, officials said. Here are the latest updates:  Update 3:31 a.m. EDT Aug. 15: The death toll in Tuesday’s bridge collapse in Genoa has climbed to 35, state media reported Wednesday.  Officials said three other people are still missing, and “about a dozen people” are still being treated at area hospitals, The Associated Press reported. Read more here. Update 2:40 p.m. EDT Aug. 14: Italy’s leader, Premier Giuseppe Conte, said Tuesday that 22 people have died and 16 others have been injured after a highway bridge collapsed in Genoa. He warned that the final death toll is likely to rise as officials continue to comb the site of the “immense tragedy.” He told RAI state TV 'it is shocking to see the twisted metal and the bridge collapsed with victims who were extracted.' Conte also praised the hundreds of rescue workers still at the site, saying 'they saved people who fell 45 meters (nearly 150 feet) and are now alive and in the hospital.' Unidentified fire brigade sources had earlier told Italy’s ANSA news agency that 35 people were killed in the incident. Update 1:30 p.m. EDT Aug. 14: At least 35 people died as a result of the Morandi Bridge collapse, unidentified fire brigade sources told Italy’s ANSA news agency. Five other people were listed in serious condition at a hospital, ANSA reported. Rescuers told the news agency that four people have been pulled from the debris alive. Hundreds of people continued to comb the scene Tuesday in search of victims. Update 11:15 a.m. EDT Aug. 14: Italy’s  Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini told reporters Tuesday that at least 30 people were killed in Tuesday’s highway bridge collapse in Genoa, up from the 20 reported dead earlier in the day, according to BBC News. About 200 people were working to clear the debris and search for survivors after the Morandi Bridge collapsed Tuesday amid heavy rain and winds. Update 10:05 a.m. EDT Aug. 14: Italian firefighters have released video footage of their efforts to rescue people trapped after a highway bridge collapsed Tuesday amid heavy winds in Genoa. Angelo Borrelli, the head of Italian Civil Protection, said at a news conference Tuesday in Rome that about 30 vehicles “and a few heavy-duty trucks” were involved in Tuesday’s incident, CNN reported. He said 20 people were killed in the collapse and 13 others wounded. Earlier, Italy’s deputy transport minister Edoardo Rixi said the number of victims had risen to at least 22 dead and eight injured. Borrelli said the victims appear to all have been in vehicles that plunged from the bridge. He added that while there are two warehouses below the collapse, it is believed they were closed for the summer holiday and that no one was inside.  Borrelli said that highway engineers were checking the safety of the bridge in other points, and that some areas were being evacuated as a precaution. Update 9:35 a.m. EDT Aug. 14: “We suppose there are unfortunately a lot of dead,” an ambulance official told Reuters as authorities continued working to clear the collapsed bridge Tuesday. The head of the ambulance service Italian news agency Adnkronos that there were “dozens of dead” as a result of the collapse, according to Reuters. Update 9:25 a.m. EDT Aug. 14: Italian officials have raised the death toll from Tuesday’s highway bridge collapse from 11 to 22, according to The Associated Press. Eight people were also injured, the AP reported. Update 8:10 a.m. EDT Aug. 14: At least 11 people are dead and 20 vehicles were affected when part of a highway bridge collapsed in Genoa, according to The Associated Press. At least two survivors were rescued from the rubble and flown to a nearby hospital, a firefighter told Italy’s RAI state TV. Original report: Emergency crews were searching for victims Tuesday after part of a highway bridge collapsed in northwestern Italy. According to The Associated Press, about 10 vehicles were affected when a 650-foot portion of the Morandi Bridge gave way. At least one survivor has been rescued from the rubble, Italy’s ANSA news agency reported. >> Read more trending news  Although local news outlets reported that people had died in the collapse, authorities had not confirmed that information, the AP reported. The collapse came as a “sudden and violent storm” hit the area, according to the AP.   – The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • A Georgia business owner expressed surprise after police said a naked man broke into his liquor store and only helped himself to a soda. >> Watch the news report here (Viewer discretion advised.) Police said the man used a hammer to break into the Forsyth County liquor store earlier this week. 'The surveillance video shows it all. Police say the only thing the accused burglar tried to take was a can of Coke,' said Jamie Kurisko. Kurisko said he had always believed that if anybody broke into his liquor store, they'd be after cash and maybe booze.  'I was pretty angry but a little relieved because I figured he wasn't in the store to rob it,' Kurisko said. Early Monday, Cumming police said the man used a hammer to smash through the glass doors of Beverage World.  MORE ON WSBTV.COM: >> Here's why the NM compound suspects could be released from jail >> At least 150 students denied housing at Clark Atlanta University >> Georgia police officer, wife found stabbed to death The surveillance video shows except for a pair of shoes, the man wasn't wearing a stitch of clothing.  Officers said Charles Wyatt, 61, walked around the store, helped himself to a can of soda then lay down on the floor for a few minutes.  Police said three nights earlier, officers also encountered Wyatt walking along the road in front of the store unclothed.  >> Read more trending news  He was transported to the hospital the first time. This time, he was taken to jail. 'We've shown a couple of people the video, some of our salespeople. Everybody is kind of amazed. It's kind of funny right now, but it wasn't at the time,' Kurisko said. Police said Wyatt has a diminished mental capacity for which he takes medication. They said the first time they crossed paths with him, he had missed some doses. 
  • A 7-year-old Georgia boy died after he was hit by a car in the middle of a busy North Decatur road in DeKalb County about 3 p.m. Tuesday, police said. >> Watch the news report here DeKalb County police said it appears the driver was coming over a hill and did not see the child. Officials said the 7-year-old was walking alone when he tried to cross four lanes of traffic. He was about a half-mile from where he lived. 'There's no stop sign. Nobody is stopping cars; (they) just come down here flying,' said DeKalb County resident Richard Sanders. Police said the driver stopped after hitting the child just near the entrance of the Brentwood Apartments. 'The driver could not see the child as she was coming over the hill, and by the time she saw him, it was too late,' said Shiera Campbell of the DeKalb County Police Department. >> Read more trending news  The incident is alarming to residents because of the amount of foot traffic in the area, including children. Neighbors said there is a lack of safe crossing zones. WSB-TV's Carl Willis mapped the area. He discovered there is about a half-mile between crosswalks. 'I would say they're pretty far apart, yes,' Campbell said. The boy who was killed had a backpack with him, according to police. DeKalb County Schools confirmed he was a student at Dunaire Elementary School. The district released the following statement:  “We are heartbroken that one of our students, a 7-year-old just beginning his life, passed tragically this evening. Our thoughts are with his family and the Dunaire Elementary community during this difficult time. We will offer support to students and staff in the coming days, and will stand with them in support.” Residents said they never want to experience this kind of loss again. 'We need to look at this area and put up some precautions for the safety of the children,' Sanders said.  'You're going to have more accidents, especially with cars trying to get in here,' said DeKalb County resident Jackie Bigby.
  • The first day of class at a Texas elementary school quickly went from a day of excitement to one of tragedy Monday as a mother was killed shielding several children from a car in the school’s parking lot.  Kharisma Ashlee James, 33, died at the scene at Mary N. Tippin Elementary School, in El Paso. Three students were also injured, including two of the James’ children, school officials said. They were taken to the hospital for treatment.  Victor Araiza, chief of the El Paso Independent School District’s police force, said at a media briefing Tuesday morning that the victim’s 6-year-old daughter, her 7-year-old son and the third child, a 10-year-old fellow student, are in serious condition but are getting better. “All of those children are expected to survive,” Araiza said.  Araiza told reporters at the scene Monday afternoon that James was walking through the parking lot with the children around 3:30 p.m. when Roger Hawking, 58, started to back the car he was driving out of a parking spot. Hawking was picking his grandchildren up from school.  After backing into another car, Hawking apparently hit the accelerator instead of the brake. James tried to get in front of the children so they would not be struck, school district officials said.  “The parent attempted to get the attention of the driver and intervene, and that parent was also struck by the vehicle,” Araiza said.   Victoria Bruce, another parent who was friends with James, told KFOX-TV she heard the collision take place.  “You heard the metal crash so loud that you knew that something awful had happened,” Bruce told the news station Tuesday morning. “Everybody went running over. I kept my kids back because I knew at that point there was nothing I could do and I didn’t want ... (my children) to see whatever had happened. You could hear people shouting, ‘Is there a doctor or nurse?’” Bruce said she found out later that it was a friend who was killed and that she died protecting her children. James’ Facebook page indicated that she was a U.S. Army veteran who served in Iraq. After eight years in the service, she went back to school with the help of a scholarship from the Women’s Fund of El Paso, according to a May 2017 blog post on the organization’s website.   A May 2017 graduate of the Gayle Greve Hunt School of Nursing at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, she started working at the Hospitals of Providence in November, her Facebook page said.  The Women’s Fund of El Paso shared photos from James’ graduation on its own Facebook page, including pictures of the beaming graduate with her children and other family members.  Araiza said Tuesday that investigators were trying to determine if Hawking was suffering a medical issue when the accident happened.  “We just don’t know yet,” Araiza said.  The chief said school administrators are doing everything in their power to ensure traffic moves smoothly in the school’s parking lot.  “It’s difficult to describe how this could have been prevented,” Araiza said. “The actuality is that the responsible person for this is the driver of that vehicle. The fault does not rest on the school administration. The fault rests on the individual who was operating that vehicle and was not familiar with it.” It was not clear why Hawking was not familiar with the vehicle. He could face charges in the accident.  Counselors were provided almost immediately after the collision to help students, faculty and parents who witnessed the accident. Araiza said police and school officials worked through the night Monday to ensure that the school was ready for its students to arrive on the second day of class.  Counselors will be on hand the remainder of this week, as well as next week.  “We want to make sure that our kids are able to get through this and that our parents that are bringing their kids to our schools understand that we’re doing everything that we possibly can to keep them safe,” Araiza said. “This is a very tragic accident.” >> Read more trending news School resumed Tuesday morning, with several police officers on the scene as parents arrived to drop their children off. One motorcycle officer could be seen issuing traffic citations, according to the El Paso Times.  El Paso Superintendent Juan Cabrera was also at the school, where he told reporters an accident like the one that took place is something no one could ever prepare for.  “We literally do thousands and thousands of pickups and drop-offs every week across the city with 92 schools,” Cabrera said. “We are right now just really focused on the students.” He said there were an extra 50 adults on campus to help care for the children.  “Our No. 1 priority is to take care of the kids,” Cabrera said. “What we’re trying to make sure of is that the buses are running on time and the kids feel safe and secure. “This is the second day of school. It should be one of the most joyous times of the year. All of us have kids; many of us have kids here at the district, so we know how important the start of school is.”
  • The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is announcing two arrests and an active warrant for a third individual in connection to the fatal shooting of a 7-year-old girl on the Westside. WOKV first told you on Saturday, when police announced the death of Heydi Rivas Villanueva. Investigators say she was sitting in a car with her family in a parking lot on 103rd Street, when their car was apparently caught in the crossfire between multiple suspects.  According to JSO, they’ve uncovered the shooting was actually a robbery, disguised as a gun sale on social media.  Investigators say the suspects, Trevonte Phoenix and Abrion Price, met an indvidual at IHOP on 103rd Street, where they robbed that individual at gunpoint. JSO says they took the individual’s firearm, money, and a cell phone. As they were fleeing, police say an acquaintance, identified as Stanley Harris III, of the individual who was robbed, was waiting nearby, and began shooting at both Phoenix and Price.  JSO says Phoenix returned fire at Harris, which resulted in Rivas Villanueva being hit in the head by one of the bullets. Sheriff Mike Williams says they’ve recovered 13 shell casings at the scene, indicating the men exchanged at least 13 shots. Williams says they’re still waiting on test results, but their early investigation has determined the fatal bullet came from the direction of Harris.  Phoenix and Price are both facing charges of felony murder, with JSO saying that’s based on their participation in this alleged robbery. Harris is being charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, based on his past criminal history.  Police say further charges against Harris are pending at this time.   The individual who was apparently robbed has not been identified nor charged.  Phoenix and Harris are both in police custody as of Tuesday afternoon, but Price-- pictured below-- is still the subject on an active search. Anyone with information about where Price is, is asked to either contact the sheriff’s office or Crime Stoppers at 1-866-845-TIPS. There is a $5,000 reward being offered through Crime Stoppers for information that leads to Price’s arrest. Rivas Villanueva's family is trying to raise money so they'll be able to have a funeral for her in her native country of Honduras: https://www.gofundme.com/5ycvzyg

The Latest News Videos