ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

cloudy-day
78°
Partly Cloudy
H 91° L 79°
  • cloudy-day
    78°
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 79°
  • cloudy-day
    86°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 79°
  • cloudy-day
    87°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 79°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Charity
‘Time to get my chemo on’: How music helped Lucy Sembach on her cancer journey
Close

‘Time to get my chemo on’: How music helped Lucy Sembach on her cancer journey

‘Time to get my chemo on’: How music helped Lucy Sembach on her cancer journey

‘Time to get my chemo on’: How music helped Lucy Sembach on her cancer journey

Lucy Sembach had been a late walker and experienced problems with her balance.  The family pediatrician recommended an MRI.  In November 2016 during the MRI, a mass was discovered.  It was a brain tumor. 

Ten days later, Lucy underwent a 10-hour surgery.  She wasn’t even 2-years-old at the time.   Her parents, Melanie and Casey, had to explain to their other two children what Lucy would be facing ahead. 

After surgery, Lucy had to re-learn how to walk.  In March of 2017 she began chemotherapy. She completed 45 rounds of chemo, and now she is in monitoring status.  Every four months Lucy needs an MRI to make sure there is no regrowth. 

The Sembachs credit Miss Joli, the Child Life Specialist, with helping make each visit to Nemours fun for Lucy. 

“She treats it like she gets to go and play with kids”, Casey said.  “They always made it fun. Someone was always there to greet you, and she would light up the room when the port was being accessed”, Melanie said. 

Lucy used to sing a song in the car on the way to get her chemotherapy: Time to get my chemo on. 

FULL STORY:  Listen to the Sembach family’s story 

Today, Lucy is a healthy 3-year-old who loves playing with her sister, Kate and her brother, Ben.  

Melanie credits the Mothers for Hope, a group that the Child Cancer Fund sponsors, for helping process her emotions during Lucy’s treatments.  

“You’re worried about the same things and you can cry together and have those types of talks that you wouldn’t normally have with your best friend or your spouse”, Melanie said.  “This has been the best worse experience of our lives”. 

Close

The Sembach Family

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • A California police officer has died after a shooting in Sacramento, multiple news outlets reported late Wednesday. >> Read more trending news Check back for updates to this developing story.
  • Jacksonville Fire and Rescue says 32 residents are accounted for after a fire started at a nursing home in Mandarin.  Firefighters say the fire started in one of the wings and residents had to be evacuated. They were later moved into a different wing of the facility and the fire is now under control.  It’s not clear what sparked the fire and if there were any injuries. 
  • Months after an armed home invasion robbery in Fernandina Beach that injured two people, investigators say they've now arrested a third suspect in connection. The Fernandina Beach Police Department has announced the arrest of 24-year-old Cedrice Brown. They say he was taken into custody early Wednesday morning, not far from the University of North Carolina.  Police tell us when he was arrested he was in possession of two stolen guns and booked on various North Carolina charges. A hold has been placed on Brown to have him extradited to Florida, where he faces armed robbery and armed burglary charges.  Police say since the December 22, 2018, incident at a home on Manatee Avenue, they've determined that the robbery was pre-planned due to one of the suspects involved having knowledge of where certain items were.  At the time of the robbery, police 15 people were inside. The victims reported seeing several suspects wearing masks and carrying various weapons, rifles, handguns and knives.  Two people were injured during the robbery, after being hit in the head with guns.  WOKV told you that one suspect was arrested while attempting to flee. A second suspect was arrested at a later time.  Police say they're continuing to work on identifying the remaining suspects, who they believe are from outside the Nassau County-area.
  • Authorities arrested an 11th person Tuesday in connection with the ambush shooting last week of former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic. >> Read more trending news  In a press briefing Wednesday evening, the Dominican Republic’s lead prosecutor said that Ortiz was not the target of a shooting.  Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez said the target was another man, dressed similarly to Ortiz, who was seated next to him the night of June 9. Rodríguez said the shooting was orchestrated by a member of Mexico’s Gulf Cartel, who remains on the run. He did not immediately describe a motive. An unidentified official told The Associated Press that Franklin Junior Merán was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of renting one of the cars used in the June 9 shooting in Santo Domingo. Ten other suspects have already been ordered to spend a year in preventive detention as the investigation continues, including the accused shooter. Authorities say they are looking for at least three other suspects, including the man they believe paid the hit men. Ortiz continued recovering Wednesday in the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. Ortiz’s wife, Tiffany Ortiz, said doctors upgraded Ortiz’s condition to good Tuesday. “We remain grateful to everyone who has helped David through this ordeal, both in the Dominican Republic and here in Boston,” Tiffany Ortiz said in a statement released by the Red Sox. “David’s journey to good health has been bolstered by the many expressions of love that have come to us from across the globe. Your support has lifted his spirits tremendously during this challenging time.” Authorities continue to investigate. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • A man said his fiancee put eye drops into his soft drink Saturday at their Rowan County home. >> Read more trending news  The man told authorities he confronted his fiancee, Jaymee Cruz, after he said he watched her put the drops in his Coca-Cola. He then locked himself and their baby in the bathroom and called 911. Deputies said when they arrived at the scene, Cruz at first denied putting eye drops in the drink, but later said she did it to make the man sick. Cruz said she got the idea from the movie 'Wedding Crashers' and did it because she wanted to move out of the home with their daughter, authorities said. Consuming eye drops is extremely dangerous and can be deadly. The main ingredient reduces redness in the eyes, but when ingested it can rapidly reach the blood and central nervous systems. It's not the first time a person has been accused of using eye drops to poison their significant other. Last year, York County investigators charged Lana Clayton in her husband’s death after she said she put eye drops in his water, WSOC-TV reported. Stephen Clayton’s toxicology report showed he had poisonous levels of the key ingredient in eye drops.

The Latest News Videos