ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

rain-day
65°
Showers
H 67° L 61°
  • rain-day
    65°
    Current Conditions
    Showers. H 67° L 61°
  • rain-day
    63°
    Morning
    Showers. H 67° L 61°
  • cloudy-day
    67°
    Afternoon
    Cloudy. H 69° L 54°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Local
NE FL vets with long wait times, issues getting to VA, can receive treatment at local hospital
Close

NE FL vets with long wait times, issues getting to VA, can receive treatment at local hospital

NE FL vets with long wait times, issues getting to VA, can receive treatment at local hospital
St. Vincent's Clay County

NE FL vets with long wait times, issues getting to VA, can receive treatment at local hospital

Northeast Florida veterans who have wait times of more than 30 days with Veteran Affairs, or have to travel more than 40 miles for care, can receive treatment at a local hospital through a new program.

The Veterans Choice Program allows veterans to receive treatment at any of the St. Vincent’s Health Care locations around Northeast Florida, if they satisfy the program's requirements.

“The angle at St. Vincent’s is simply to serve those who are in need and to serve them in a timely basis, and in the most convenient manner possible,” St. Vincent’s chief operating officer Tom VanOsdol told WOKV. “We know there’s a need and we want to be there to serve those who served us.”

The program is paid for through funding that already supports veteran health care through the VA. The program will end once $10 billion in allocated funds are used or no later than Aug. 7, 2017.

VanOsdol says leadership at St. Vincent’s will reevaluate the program after funding runs out, or the end date is reached, to determine if there is still a need in the area. He says funding can be allocated to support the program if a continued need is found.

“It’s our honor and privilege to participate in this program,” VanOsdol said. 

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

The Latest News Headlines

  • Update 5:23 p.m. EDT Dec. 14: In a tweet Friday, President Donald Trump named Mick Mulvaney, the current Director of the Office of Management and Budget, as acting White House Chief of Staff. Trump deemed Mulvaney his “acting chief of staff” but it was not immediately clear what that meant for the length of his tenure. >> Read more trending news President Donald Trump said Saturday that White House Chief of Staff John Kelly will leave his position by the end of the year. The president’s first choice was Nick Ayers, the vice president’s chief of staff, who bowed out after being unable to come to an agreement on how long he would serve in the post. Read the original report below. Trump announced last week that Kelly, who served in the post for more than a year, would soon be departing. Rumors have swirled off-and-on for months that Kelly, a retired four-star general, planned to leave his post. >> Related: Who is Gen. John Kelly, President Donald Trump’s Chief of Staff?  Sources with knowledge of the inner workings of the West Wing told CNN that President Donald Trump and Kelly have recently stopped speaking. He reportedly clashed with several members of the administration, including national security adviser John Bolton, the president's daughter, Ivanka Trump, and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, Politico reported. Tension between Bolton and Kelly spilled out into the public earlier this year when The Washington Post reported Kelly stormed out of the White House after getting into a shouting match with Bolton over immigration. The Wall Street Journal reported in June that Kelly expected to make his exit over the summer, but the newspaper later reported that he agreed to stay on through the 2020 election at the president’s request. Reports indicate that the relationship between Trump and Kelly has long been fraught with tension. Former FBI director James Comey said in his book, “A Higher Loyalty,” that Kelly was “sick about my firing” in May 2017 and that he intended to quit in protest of Trump’s decision. Comey said he urged Kelly not to quit. >> 'A Higher Loyalty:' Here’s some of what James Comey says about Trump NBC News reported in April that Kelly called Trump “an idiot” who he needed to “save from himself” during a tense meeting on immigration. Kelly later denied making such a statement and claimed he and the president had “an incredibly candid and strong relationship,” according to NBC News. Kelly faced criticism earlier this year after two of former staff secretary Rob Porter’s ex-wives went public with allegations of domestic abuse. Porter denied the allegations, but submitted his resignation Feb. 7 amid public outcry. >> White House ‘could have done better’ handling Rob Porter allegations, spokesman says In a statement released after the revelations first surfaced, Kelly stood behind Porter, who he called “a man of true integrity and honor.” He appeared to walk back his comments in a subsequent statement, amid criticism based on reports that the White House knew of the allegations long before Porter’s resignation. The allegations held up the security clearance process for Porter, who was only ever issued a temporary clearance. Amid the media furor, Kelly moved to end or downgrade temporary clearances for all staff members, including some, like Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, who had regular access to top secret U.S. documents. Kelly joined the Trump Administration as the secretary of Homeland Security in January 2017. Six months later, he was appointed as chief of staff after Trump’s first chief of staff, Reince Preibus, submitted his resignation amid tension with Trump. >> Reince Priebus out: Trump names new chief of staff Reuters reported in February that Kelly and Trump national security adviser H.R. McMaster were considering leaving their posts because of the way they were treated by Trump in public. Unidentified sources told Reuters that 'Kelly and McMaster have chafed at Trump’s treatment of them in public and in private, which both at times have considered insulting.' The Associated Press contributed to this story.
  • A 20-year veteran of the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office has been arrested for a third-degree felony count of insurance fraud. Undersheriff Pat Ivey says 48-year-old Corrections Officer Ronnye Smith is accused of reporting his personal vehicle as stolen, in order to profit from insurance. Smith allegedly came up with a scheme in April to work with two people to carry out the fraud. “He received the check, and all along it was a set up. He knew who took his vehicle,” Ivey says. In July, Ivey says the vehicle was seen in Clay County, and their investigation from there determined that Smith was a part of the scheme. In all, Smith allegedly profited less than $20,000 in the fraud. Ivey says Smith chose to resign in the wake of his arrest. “It’s a shame, because I’m hearing he was a good employee. Remember, this is something he did in his personal life, but remember, we’re held accountable in that. This don’t make me sad. This is- he did wrong, he’s held accountable, and we continue to move on with the mission that we have. I’m not sad over this one at all,” Ivey says. The other two people allegedly involved in the fraud scheme are still being investigated.
  • There’s still a long road to recovery, but the JSO Motorman who was critically injured by a suspected drunk driver this weekend has now been transferred to rehab. Officer Jack Adams and his family were driving back from Orlando at the time of the crash on I-95 in St. Johns County. His wife, JSO Bailiff Cathy Adams, died as a result of the crash, and the couple’s two children suffered minor injuries.  Kim Johnston has been arrested for the crash. JSO is thanking Memorial Hospital for their care of Adams, calling his recovery so far “unbelievable”. JSO officers lined the hallway as he was sent off to rehab, to show support.
  • Two New Orleans psychiatrists have found a man who stabbed his brother 93 times before placing his body under a burning mattress in 2013 “irrestorably incompetent” to stand trial and recommended he be committed to a psychiatric hospital.  Ian Broyard, 27, is accused of murder and tampering with evidence in the Nov. 6, 2013, stabbing death of 23-year-old Michael Broyard III, NOLA.com reported. Ian Broyard was 22 at the time of the crime.  Michael Broyard, a tattoo artist, was working on a degree in social work at Southern University at New Orleans. >> Read more trending news The New Orleans Advocate reported in July 2014, when Broyard was indicted, that the brothers had been in several fights prior to the killing. Their sister arrived at the family home in the Gentilly section of New Orleans the morning of the stabbing to see smoke coming from the front door.  Firefighters found Michael Broyard dead inside but there was no sign of Ian Broyard, who had been home shortly before the fire broke out, the Advocate reported. While police officers and firefighters worked the scene, Ian Broyard showed up, with cuts on his forearms and holding his stomach in pain, the newspaper said.  A witness told police he saw a man, who was riding away from the Broyard home on a bicycle, toss something into a trash can nearby. Investigators found a bloodstained vest constructed out of book covers taped together.  The DNA from the blood on the vest matched that of Michael Broyard, the Advocate reported. Other DNA and fingerprints recovered from the vest matched Ian Broyard, NOLA.com said.  NOLA.com reported that Ian Broyard was diagnosed as bipolar and schizophrenic in June 2013, just five months before his brother’s brutal slaying. Broyard’s arrest warrant indicated that he sometimes became violent. Broyard was initially found competent to stand trial in August 2014 but was found incompetent during another hearing almost three years later, the news site said. He was sent to Eastern Louisiana Mental Health System in June 2017 and has been there since.  Two of the members of the court-appointed sanity panel who examined Broyard have found it unlikely that Broyard will ever become competent to stand trial for his brother’s slaying. NOLA.com reported that Dr. Sarah DeLand testified Thursday that Broyard, who suffers from delusions and auditory hallucinations, would be unable to assist his lawyer at trial. Broyard believes that the IRS and the FBI control him and those around him, DeLand said in court. He also believes that the federal agencies could influence his case based on his outstanding student loans.  A judge will decide next week if Broyard will be committed indefinitely, NOLA said.  Investigators said during Broyard’s March 2014 preliminary hearing that it was possible he was connected to a second slaying 10 months before that of his brother. NOLA.com reported that a homicide detective testified at the hearing that Broyard was related to Edward Richardson, an 83-year-old retiree who was found stabbed to death New Year’s Day 2013 in his apartment at a senior living community.  Like Michael Broyard, Richardson was found stabbed an excessive number of times -- more than 50 -- and his body was under a mattress that had been set on fire, NOLA.com reported in 2014. No physical evidence linked Ian Broyard to the scene.  WDSU in New Orleans reported in 2015 that cold case investigators were still seeking leads in the unsolved case. 
  • Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, rumored to be President Donald Trump’s top pick to fill the chief of staff role once John Kelly exits later this year, said Friday that he’s asked Trump not to consider him for the post. >> Read more trending news 'It's an honor to have the President consider me as he looks to choose a new White House chief-of-staff,' Christie said Friday in a statement first obtained by The New York Times. 'However, I've told the President that now is not the right time for me or my family to undertake this serious assignment. As a result, I have asked him to no longer keep me in any of his considerations for this post.' Christie’s comments came one day after he met with Trump to discuss the position, CNN reported, citing a pair of sources familiar with the discussion. No job offer was made Thursday, according to CNN. Trump announced Dec. 8 that Kelly, a retired U.S. Marine Corps general who served as Trump's Homeland Security secretary before becoming his chief of staff in July 2017, will leave at the end of the year.  >> Trump: John Kelly to leave by end of year Christie is one of several people to reportedly discuss the imminent chief of staff vacancy with Trump in recent days. On Wednesday, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said House Freedom Caucus Chair Rep. Mark Meadows, R-North Carolina, was no longer in the running for the position, Politico reported. “Congressman Mark Meadows is a great friend to President Trump and is doing an incredible job in Congress,” Huckabee Sanders said in a statement obtained by Politico. “The President told him we need him in Congress, so he can continue the great work he is doing there.” Vice President Mike Pence's chief of staff, Nick Ayers, had long been rumored to be Trump’s top pick for the job, but he declined to fill the role earlier this month. Ayers, 36, and Trump were unable to agree on a time frame for the job, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported, with Ayers unwilling to commit to the role deep into next year. >> Mike Pence’s top aid Nick Ayers won’t replace John Kelly as Trump’s Chief of Staff White House spokesman Hogan Gidley told reporters Friday that, while Kelly is slated to leave at the end of the year, “if the president and the chief of staff make another deal and extend it, they can do that,” the New York Post reported. “It’s their prerogative to do so,” Gidley said. “Right now, currently, John Kelly is expected to leave at the first of the year.”

The Latest News Videos