On Air Now

Listen Now

Weather

cloudy-day
50°
Sunny
H 71° L 50°
  • cloudy-day
    50°
    Current Conditions
    Sunny. H 71° L 50°
  • clear-day
    67°
    Afternoon
    Sunny. H 71° L 50°
  • cloudy-day
    63°
    Evening
    Partly Cloudy. H 71° L 50°
Listen
Pause
Error

The latest top stories

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest traffic report

00:00 | 00:00

Listen
Pause
Error

The latest forecast

00:00 | 00:00

Rep. Corrine Brown and third set of attorneys 'break up'

Congresswoman Corrine Brown is moving on to her fourth set of lawyers for the federal fraud trial she’s facing.

David Haas and Mark NeJame filed a motion to withdraw just two days after they formally signed on to the case last week. The motion says there was an “atmosphere of hostility and distrust” and “irreconcilable differences” on how to manage the case. Despite that, NeJame says the root of their problem is actually friendship.

Speaking after the hearing, where the judge granted the motion to withdraw, NeJame says he’s known Brown for a decade and, while sometimes it works to represent friends, sometimes it does not.

“It’s simply a break-up,” NeJame said, adding that sometimes it’s best to “be friends”, but not “be married”.

Asked about the mild response in the face of the harsh words in the motion, NeJame says they talked it out.

“We did get in to words, but no different than you get in to words with your friends or your family,” he says.

Brown offered little comment both during the hearing and after, while standing next to NeJame. She did say it’s not easy to represent a “lawyer wannabe” like herself.

Brown arrived at Tuesday’s hearing a few minutes before Haas and NeJame- and while both attorneys greeted prosecutors with handshakes, there was little said between them and Brown as they sat on either side of her.

In the hearing, Magistrate Judge James Klindt rehashed some of the motion, and then pointed to the portion where Haas offered to explain further to the court, if requested, the “unfortunate and unusual set of circumstances” surrounding what has happened. While Klindt agreed with an argument from NeJame that their motion to withdraw was filed in a timely manner, he disagreed that further discussion wasn’t needed. NeJame told the court they didn’t want to prejudice Brown and that they were in an “awkward position”, but Klindt pushed for more.

“The court is owed an explanation at this point regarding what is happening with Ms. Brown’s representation,” Klindt said.

Ultimately, there was an hour-long discussion behind closed doors before the judge not only granted the motion to withdraw, but pushed Brown’s trial to November. The main concern from the US Attorney’s Office has been the impact the uncertainty of counsel was having on the trial proceedings. While Klindt acknowledged that they would all like more certainty at this stage, he believes this is the right way to move forward.

“This is just one of those cases where it may take more time than other cases for the representation issue to be settled,” he says.

Klindt added that Brown is not trying to stall the trial through legal maneuverings.

“Suffice it to say that I’m convinced that Ms. Brown is making a good faith effort to assemble a defense team and to hire a lawyer in this case,” he says.

Haas and NeJame are the third set of attorneys who had agreed in some fashion to represent Brown, meaning she’s now looking for her fourth set in just over six weeks. NeJame says Brown is already speaking with other lawyers and he will help her transition to a new team.

He added that Brown is not having financial issues lining up a new attorney.

Brown is facing a federal indictment for fraud, conspiracy, and other charges dealing with her alleged ties to a group known as “One Door For Education”. The federal government claims the education non-profit is actually a scam, and more than $800,000 in donations were actually used for the personal expenses of Brown, her Chief of Staff Ronnie Simmons, and the former head of the organization Carla Wiley.

Wiley previously pled guilty and agreed to cooperate as the government built their case against Brown and Simmons, who both deny the allegations. Brown has previously said the charges against her are politically motivated, while Simmons has offered no comment.

The US Attorney’s Office indicated during Tuesday’s hearing that Simmons’ attorney will likely look to get even more time before trial, which they don’t anticipate opposing. They added they also expect there to be a conflict of interest issue that will need to be settled regarding Simmons’ representation.

Soon after the hearing, prosecutors filed a motion giving more insight on the conflict issue. The US Attorney’s Office says Anthony Suarez- who has signed on to represent Simmons- also represented a witness who was subpoenaed for the grand jury in this investigation. Prosecutors add that the witness will likely be called during trial, creating a conflict for Suarez.

“Mr. Suarez would not be permitted to cross examine the witness concerning certain topics that Mr. Suarez may know solely because of his attorney-client communications with the witness during the prior representation. If Mr. Suarez was inclined strategically to cross examine the witness, this limitation could potentially adversely effect Simmons,” the motion says.

This issue will be addressed, along with the status of Brown’s counsel, in a hearing that’s been set for September 7th.

Read More

The Latest News Headlines

  • Coming off a chilly and mainly dreary weekend, some nice weather is ahead this week.  Action News Jax Chief Meteorologist Mike Buresh says we’ll start a warming trend with afternoon temperatures today in the mid and upper 60’s.  By Tuesday we’ll see more sunshine and warmer temps in the upper 60’s and low 70’s.  Our next cold front approaches and passes by the end of the weekend bringing our next best shot at some rain.  
  • A search is underway for an escaped work release inmate who was able to somehow remove his GPS ankle monitor.   The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office says 36-year-old Victor Nash failed to return from work release on Sunday. He was last seen in the area of Hogans Creek near North Catherine Street.  Jail records show Nash was arrested in August for three counts of burglary and was due to be released in June.   JSO says Nash was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans and black sneakers at the time he fled. Anyone who has seen or knows the whereabouts of Victor Nash is asked to contact the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office at 904-630-0500.  To remain anonymous and receive a possible reward up to $3,000, contact Crime Stoppers at 1-866-845-TIPS.
  • Four people are dead and six hurt after gunfire erupted Sunday night at a backyard football watch party in Fresno, California, authorities said. >> Read more trending news  Here are the latest updates: Update 3:23 a.m. EST Nov. 18: According to the Fresno Bee, the shooting occurred shortly before 8 p.m. outside a home on East Lamona Avenue.  'Everyone was watching football this evening when unknown suspects approached the residence, snuck into the backyard and opened fire,' Fresno police Lt. Bill Dooley said late Sunday. The slain victims were all men in their mid-20s to mid-30s, the Bee reported. Five others who were shot are being treated at Community Regional Medical Center, while a sixth victim who suffered 'a graze wound' was taken to a different hospital, CNN reported. Police have not released any information about possible suspects or a getaway vehicle, the outlets reported. Original report:  A family gathering was disrupted by gunfire when a shooter opened fire, striking at least nine people during a backyard football watch party in California, police say.  An unknown suspect snuck into the backyard and started firing indiscriminately while multiple people were watching a football game around 7 p.m., KMPH reported.  Several people were taken to the hospital. This is a developing story. Check back for updates. 
  • A missing Florida teen with autism has been found, Orlando police said. >> Read more trending news  Here are the latest updates: Update 12:37 a.m. EST Nov. 18: The Orlando Police Department said John Baker was located, WFTV is reporting. Original report: Authorities in Orlando, Florida, are searching for a missing 15-year-old boy.The Orlando Police Department said John Baker was last seen in the area of Colonial Plaza Mall in the 2400 block of East Colonial Drive. Officers said he was last seen wearing an Ohio State Buckeyes T-shirt. They said he is autistic and has the mental capacity of a 6-year-old. Baker stands 5 feet, 11 inches tall and is 150 pounds.  Anyone with information regarding Baker's location is urged to call law enforcement.
  • President Donald Trump is expecting a busy 2020, so he checked into Walter Reed National Military Medical Center on Saturday for portions of his annual physical, the White House press secretary said Saturday. >> Read more trending news  Here are the latest updates: Update 2:05 p.m. EST Nov. 18: White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham deflected rumors about President Donald Trump's health, saying it is “absolutely not” true that the president's visit to a doctor Saturday was anything other than a routine procedure, The Washington Post reported. Grisham also said the President is “healthy as can be,' the newspaper reported. In a statement Saturday, Grisham said Trump, 73, had “a quick exam and labs” and “remains healthy and energetic without complaints, as demonstrated by his repeated vigorous rally performances in front of thousands of Americans several times a week,” the Post reported. Grisham said rumors about the president 'are always flying.' 'He is healthy as can be,' Grisham told Fox News Channel host Jeanine Pirro on Saturday. 'I put a statement out about that. He’s got more energy than anybody in the White House. That man works from 6 a.m. until, you know, very, very late at night. He’s doing just fine.” Update 12:56 a.m. EST Nov. 17: Trump took to Twitter early Sunday, just hours after his visit to Walter Reed Medical Center. 'Visited a great family of a young man under major surgery at the amazing Walter Reed Medical Center,' he tweeted shortly after midnight. 'Those are truly some of the best doctors anywhere in the world. Also began phase one of my yearly physical. Everything very good (great!). Will complete next year.' According to The Associated Press, the two-hour appointment did not appear on the president's public schedule like his previous annual physicals.  Original story: 'Anticipating a very busy 2020, the President is taking advantage of a free weekend here in Washington, D.C., to begin portions of his routine annual physical exam at Walter Reed,' Stephanie Grisham, White House press secretary, said in a statement, CNN reported. Trump’s last physical was in February at Walter Reed. He weighed 243 pounds with a body mass index of 29.9, and 30 is considered obese, USA Today reported. He also had increased his use of a statin that helps control his cholesterol. 'I am happy to announce the president of the United States is in very good health and I anticipate he will remain so for the duration of his presidency, and beyond,' Dr. Sean Conley, the president’s physician, wrote at the time.  The visit Saturday is different than the president’s previous physicals. The last two physicals were announced beforehand and noted on the president’s calendar. Trump usually takes the Marine One helicopter to Walter Reed, but this time, a motorcade dropped him off unannounced, CNN reported. 

The Latest News Videos