Trending

Maker of ‘One Chip Challenge’ announces its pulling products from store shelves after teen dies

WORCESTER, Mass. — Paqui, the maker of the “One Chip Challenge” chips, announced on Thursday that it will pull its products from store shelves days after a teen died suddenly after eating a spicy tortilla chip.

>> Read more trending news

Paqui said in a statement on its website that the “One Chip Challenge” is meant for adults only and that its products had clear labeling saying that it is not for children or anyone who cannot tolerate spicy foods or who has food allergies.

“We have seen an increase in teens and other individuals not heeding these warnings. As a result, while the products continues to adhere to food safety standards, out of an abundance of caution, we are actively working with out retailers to remove the product from shelves,” the company said.

Paqui also said that it will be offering refunds for its single-serve “One Chip Challenge” product to people who call the company at 1-866-528-6848.

Harris Wolobah from Worcester, Massachusetts, died recently after participating in the “One Chip Challenge,” according to his family, WFXT reported. The challenge involves eating an extremely spicy chip that is made with some of the hottest peppers in the world.

Harris went to the nurse’s office at school on Friday and later died in his house with first responders, WFXT reported.

While Harris’s cause of death was not given, his family said they believe the boy died from a reaction to eating the chip.

0
Comments on this article
0

Listen

news

weather

traffic

mobile apps

Everything you love about wokv.com and more! Tap on any of the buttons below to download our app.

amazon alexa

Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!